How can i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can i?

Hello guys, I want to take a couple caps from a dead Mobo, as I always do but this time they are just breaking apart, leaving their legs on the mobo, those are some polymer and pannys FL and FJ

Re: How can i?

lol panny fj and fl are sometimes known to do that. i pulled a few off a mobo and the legs were left behind. i've seen other members report the same.

however, im not sure about polymers doing the same. what polymer is that? also is the mobo from the leaded solder era or lead-free solder era? could be the solder wont melt, thus the legs are left stuck on the mobo. haha!

Comment

Experience would surely be at its highest levels after practicing in more than 2k mobos ..

Comment

Is lead free solder sadly, the iron I used to use for this died, so am using an old 100w soldering gun, it's the first time this happens to me so must be the gun but my other 3 irons aren't that powerful

Comment

100w ? must be big caps .
          are you adding flux or new solder ?

Comment

Sadly the biggest caps is a 16v 1800uf, and yes I added new solder and flux but the didn't work, I will try heating the board with a heat gun just a bit and will try again...

Comment

Apply fresh leaded solder and solder wick with a large enough tip if there is space.

Comment

i would just order new ones . you know they are good then if from a good source .

Comment

You can't order new caps in Venezuela they are all Chinese shit. And ordering new ones from digikey or farnell because shipping would be too expensive for me at least. A normal salary in Venezuela is 20/30usd so 10/15 on a bag of caps is just too much.
                  I tried applying leaded solder but it didn't work that well. The heat gun helped me a lot because I have the fl's on a Mobo that needed new caps

Comment

It's a scrap board, right? just use your regular iron and add some extra heat with the heat gun, you will need someone to help, but this method really works in big ground areas.

Comment

Yes it's a scrap board. And already took the caps out. When the caps are damaged but the board is good I just pull the caps out and take the legs out with my iron heating on one side and pulling the legs with a small tweezer xD

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                        You can't order new caps in Venezuela they are all Chinese shit. And ordering new ones from digikey or farnell because shipping would be too expensive for me at least. A normal salary in Venezuela is 20/30usd so 10/15 on a bag of caps is just too much.
                        I tried applying leaded solder but it didn't work that well. The heat gun helped me a lot because I have the fl's on a Mobo that needed new caps
                        try radio spares

Comment

Well I'm using the FJ on a msi motherboard that was given to me with bad caps s478 but with 2 Sata ports. now i have 2 ASRock's 478 to recap and maybe sell them. They still have some market over here believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
                            Why buying from those overpriced corporation pricks when you buy from me for half the price? If you have the market for them and you are able to sell it, ordering regularly, I can give you flat-rate discount too no matter if you reach each model quantity discount level
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                            X