How laptop charging works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How laptop charging works

If I plug in a charger, what voltage should I measure coming to battery from charger?100% of the output voltage of the charger?Or less?

Is voltage from the charger coming through any charger controller on mainboard?

If I follow this procedure:
    I Remove battery
    Connect a charger
    Measure voltage on the connector and there is voltage( for a short time),so the path charger --> battery is OK
    Connect the battery
    Yet, no charging even though there is a voltage on the battery connector( but not sure if it is coming from the battery or from the charger)

Does it mean the charging controller is faulty? or software problem?

ANd what is a function of the charging controller on the mainboard?

Thank you for explanation

Re: How laptop charging works

usually laptops have their own internal charging circuit to shield the possibility of a bad external charger. The external brick is merely a step down power supply.

These things are probably easiest to test with another battery as it won't charge a questionable battery. One issue is that the charger will not turn on if it deems the battery is "explosion prone". How many volts is the battery currently when not connected to the charger (though this is not the only criterion for charging)? Does the voltage shoot up to the nominal voltage printed on the battery when connected to the charger?

Comment

Working...
    X