Toshiba Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Adapter

I have a busted Toshiba laptop adapter here. Symptop is that nothing happens when I connect it to my laptop. Tried a different adapter (Asus) with the same spec and the light did come on. I had been having some blue screens sometimes and I suspected the adapter was failing and now it finally did. (I hope the fuse didn't blow).

My question is, there are two Rubycon ZLH in the adapter that are 25v 820uf and I suspect that they are the problem. In my posession I have:

Sanyo OSCON SP 4v 820uf
    Sanyo OSCON 16v 150uf

Are either of these suitable for my application? If not, do you think Panasonic FC or FM would suit the job?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: Toshiba Adapter

25V caps?
    sounds like a standard 19V 3.x A ac adapter.

if you want fireworks, you could try the OSCONs..

Comment

those caps are soo under rated that it is not even funny.. if you said go from a 25 v to maybe a 21 v then i would say you could give it a try, but 4v???

Comment

I dunno, people are always substituting electrolytic caps with much lower value polymer caps. The sanyos are polymer, so...

In any case, I replaced the 25V 820uF Rubycon ZLH caps with identical Rubycon "ZL" caps. No change.

Am I looking at replacing the primary or should I look for a fuse and check continuity?
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Post a pic so we can see.

Originally posted by mockingbird
          Am I looking at replacing the primary or should I look for a fuse and check continuity?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a busted Toshiba laptop adapter here. Symptop is that nothing happens when I connect it to my laptop.
            Use a voltmeter to check if the output voltage is present first. If not present, it could be a shorted wire on the output or a bad start-up cap (if PSU design uses one). If voltage is normal, find something to use as a load on the adapter, then check the output voltage again.
            Either way, pictures would be useful. Post a few if possible.
            Also, never use polymer caps in a power supply unless it had polymer caps originally.

Comment

Ok, here's a pic:
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow, quick replay!
                So, did you check if the output voltage is present? If not, use your multimeter to check if there's a short between ground and positive output. If there is none, check fuse and bridge rectifier on primary side. If those are fine, go ahead and replace the start-up cap (from what I can see on the picture, this should be the small electrolytic cap between transformer and high voltage cap). Strictly stay with the same uF rating.
                Let me know if that yields any results.
                Last edited by momaka; 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

If it's the bridge rectifier, I'll end up buying a new adapter. It's too much of a pain desoldering all the components so I can unscrew it from the heatsink.

So I'll check the fuse and the startup cap.

Why don't you suspect the primary?

Thanks

Comment

So I'll check the fuse and the startup cap.
                    That's fine. Normally when the bridge rectifier fails, the fuse will also fail so you don't really need to check it. But if fuse is failed, definitely check the bridge rectifier.

Why don't you suspect the primary?
                    It's usually rare to see it go bad. Even high voltage caps from crappy brands do fairly well, and that's because they filter line voltage, which doesn't put much stress on the caps due to the low frequency (50/60Hz).
                    If you have a capacitance meter, just check if it has proper capacitance. If you don't, replace it only if you find that everything else is fine but power adapter is still not working.

By the way, what brand is this adapter? (should be printed on the label - otherwise check UL number) Looks like a Delta or Lite-On.

Comment

It's a Delta 75 watt. It seems they're all either made by Delta or Lite-On these days. Their naming seems uniform. ADP-75xx xx. The watts are interchangeable and the suffix depends on the connector diameter and the polarity.

Comment

I dunno, people are always substituting electrolytic caps with much lower value polymer caps.
                        NEVER!
                        NEVER!
                        NEVER do this if you don't KNOW what voltage they are on!
                        NEVER!

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

So let me ask you this... Is it safe to put an equivalent value polymer cap to replace an electrolytic cap, or should you always look for one at half the uF value?

Comment

As momaka was saying, don't poly-mod a PSU at all. You will make the ripple much worse than it is meant to be as the other components won't be tuned to them. For a this PSU, I think panny FM would be a good option. The ESR would be closer to what the other parts are tuned for and they have a fairly high endurance lifetime. Nichicon HE would probably be a good option as well.

For motherboards, use half the capacitance on the VRM, but keep it the same or close elsewhere.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Reducing the uF only applies to VRMs.
                              The practice is based on a document that KC8 either uploaded or linked to [oh???] couple years ago that discussed VRM design.

Anything outside of that is an experiment. Might work. Might not.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                                As momaka was saying, don't poly-mod a PSU at all. You will make the ripple much worse than it is meant to be as the other components won't be tuned to them.
                                Yes, I know this, I'm also aware that a motherboard with electrolytic caps will overclock better than a polymer motherboard because of this.

To prove your point, I will quote you from an article I read a while back on HardwareSecrets:
                                Even though it uses solid capacitors, this unit presented somewhat high noise and ripple levels. Below you can see the results for test five with the unit delivering 700 W.
                                (The unit in question is a Gigabyte Odin Plus 700w)

So it CAN be done, the noise and ripple levels were within acceptable levels, albeit a bit high. Since were on this topic, do you know if tantalum caps have good ripple suppression? (MSI and Gigabyte are now using tantalum on their higher end motherboards)

Comment

There are at least 3 kinds of Tantalum caps and their characteristics vary.
                                  In general Tantalum caps will over-heat from ripple.

The one that is -almost- good enough for motherboards has liquid electrolyte that will eat the board if it leaks and so far is only available in very small uF values.

They do sometimes get used on Laptop mobos in POL regulators due to small uF needed there, not so much ripple in the app, and small size of the cap.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Working...
                                  X