I-Inc IF281D Display Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I-Inc IF281D Display Problem

Just to clarify when i took the readings i only had the video board and the power board hooked together then powered it on. Did i need to have the whole monitor assembled it order to get the readings?

As far as the light test i will try it today but i know the power light goes off when i try to plug in an input. must be a self shutdown?

Anyways i'll be back shortly with the results.

Comment

ok so i plugged in my playstation as a quick test and it work fine for about 2 mins then shutdown. i used a flashlight on the screen and saw nothing.

here is a photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

So i was looking over the power board and noticed a cracked solder joint so i decided to attempt a repair.

After about 20 mins practicing on a junk board i felt confident resoldering the joint. After resoldering i powered on the monitor hoping for the best but no change at all. i think they may be more there are alot of questionable spots i see on the board but i'm not the best at spotting them.

So my question is should i resolder any joint i think is suspicion or just leave it alone?

Comment

A lot depends on what the problem actually is. Please define 'shuts itself down'. When you were testing with the Playstation, did the power button stay active (green or blue) or did it go to standby (orange) or off?

Also, what I'd like the same information about this test
          i tested the monitor yesterday by turning it on and just leaving it alone for awhile. It went into standby (orange light) and stayed on for hours as long as i didn't try to input a signal in which case it would turn off shortly after.
          You could have a bad power supply, bad signal card, bad tcon, etc. Until we know, resoldering what could be the wrong board is pointless.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

To answer your question bill i powered the monitor on first blue light came on then it went into standby (Orange light). Then i plugged my HDMI into the monitor and powered on the playstation. The monitor reacted and the blue light came back on shortly after followed by a picture.

After 2 minutes of working perfectly with sound it shut off completely. No power light no orange light, no blue light ,no light at all on the bottom right corner. Like someone just unplugged it.

I tried turning it back on but it wouldn't power on until maybe the 3rd or 4th try after leaving it alone for a minute or so which didn't last more then 1- 5 secs.

Here is a photo of when the monitor first powered on. After change the resolution the screen looked fine. If have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them. Right now i'm puzzled as to where the problem area is.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by AloofOne; 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AloofOne View Post
              To answer your question bill i powered the monitor on first blue light came on then it went into standby (Orange light). Then i plugged my HDMI into the monitor and powered on the playstation. The monitor reacted and the blue light came back on shortly after followed by a picture.

After 2 minutes of working perfectly with sound it shut off completely. No power light no orange light, no blue light ,no light at all on the bottom right corner. Like someone just unplugged it.

I tried turning it back on but it wouldn't power on until maybe the 3rd or 4th try after leaving it alone for a minute or so which didn't last more then 1- 5 secs.

Here is a photo of when the monitor first powered on. After change the resolution the screen looked fine. If have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them. Right now i'm puzzled as to where the problem area is.
              Thanks, definitely NOT 'two seconds to black'. Also very unlikely it is the tcon. It's late, it's been a long day, so excuse me for not reviewing the thread, but do the power supply outputs drop when the power light goes out?

If the standby power supply (5V_SB) stays good when the monitor shuts down, it's almost certainly the signal card. If 5V_SB drops, it's definitely the power supply.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I wouldn't know because i've never tried a test like that yet. I will test the monitor tomorrow to see if i get a drop in voltage. i'm assuming i need to have everything hooked up but be able to take readings while turning the monitor on correct?

Comment

I wouldn't know because i've never tried a test like that yet. I will test the monitor tomorrow to see if i get a drop in voltage. i'm assuming i need to have everything hooked up but be able to take readings while turning the monitor on correct?
                  Pretty much, although you don't need to connect the cable from the signal card to the LCD panel. I'd hook the power supply, signal card and the control panel together on a piece of cardboard (for insulation) and supply a signal from the computer. For the first test I wouldn't bother with the inverter or LCD panel. This may be a thermal problem, so don't be surprised if it operates longer before the power LED goes dark. And of course, be very careful of where you touch the power supply while it is operating.

PlainBill

Comment

I ran a volt test on the monitor today hooking up the video/signal board with the powerbaord and control panel. i couldn't get monitor to power off for me with just these 2 boards connected. I did how test the 5vsb on the signal card and it seemed fine. i tested it by turn the tv on and off with the power button.

Comment

Also i forgot to mention i also plugged the inverter board alone with the other boards minus the t-con and it powered on for about 20mins, then i just unplugged it slightly angry and very confused.

Comment

Also i forgot to mention i also plugged the inverter board alone with the other boards minus the t-con and it powered on for about 20mins, then i just unplugged it slightly angry and very confused.
                        I understand your feelings. And of course, you can be pretty sure that if you hook all components together outside of the case it will still work - but it will fail if you completely reassemble it.

PlainBill

Comment

What do you think i should do bill? Junk it? or try recapping and hope i get lucky?

Comment

What do you think i should do bill? Junk it? or try recapping and hope i get lucky?
                            I'd try more extensive testing. There are two possible causes - Something that opens when it gets warm, or something that fails when it is flexed when it is mounted in place.

Try this - Hook several long wires to the power supply outputs, then lead them outside the case when you reassemble it. Make sure they are not in any position to be damaged by being squeezed against the case!! See if the power supply fails when the power LED goes out. Or of course, you could always send it to me. But I really think you can at least isolate it to one board.

PlainBill
                            Last edited by PlainBill; 01-18-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I have an IF281D that was exhibiting similar symptoms. Periodic black outs with increasing frequency preceded by shimmering text at the top of the screen and an occasional ghost image displaced horizontally. For a time I averted the black screen problem by removing the shroud and directing a high powered fan at the electronics on the back.

Based on the visual artifacts I discounted the possibility of inverter/back light failure and recapped the input logic board. So far the repair seems to be successful.

The CapXcon caps on my logic board were KM and ST series which are rated for a meager 1000 hrs and 2000 hrs respectively the lower of which approximates the three year warranty period on this monitor. I suspect a case of planned obsolecense.

Good luck with your repair I'll wager a recap sets things right.

Comment

Originally posted by nightstar View Post
                                I have an IF281D that was exhibiting similar symptoms. Periodic black outs with increasing frequency preceded by shimmering text at the top of the screen and an occasional ghost image displaced horizontally. For a time I averted the black screen problem by removing the shroud and directing a high powered fan at the electronics on the back.

Based on the visual artifacts I discounted the possibility of inverter/back light failure and recapped the input logic board. So far the repair seems to be successful.

The CapXcon caps on my logic board were KM and ST series which are rated for a meager 1000 hrs and 2000 hrs respectively the lower of which approximates the three year warranty period on this monitor. I suspect a case of planned obsolecense.

Good luck with your repair I'll wager a recap sets things right.
                                It's good to know that a recap solved the problem for you.

One point: many people misinterpret the 'hours' rating for caps. A cap rated for 1000 hours at 105°C is good for 2000 hours at 95°C, 4000 hours at 85°C, etc. Since it is very unusual for consumer electronics to be running at a temperature above 55°C, a 1000 hour rating isn't bad. Again, it's the quality of the manufacturer, not the hour rating that is important.

PlainBill

Comment

Temperature definately influences capacitor endurance. With 4 CF tubes packed into about half a cubic foot things get pretty hot! I've installed a quiet fan to circulate/induct air through the chassis, hopefully this extends the life of my replacements.

The data sheet from CapXon indicates the same number of hours for shelf life as operating life. When I compare these to other makes/lines with up to 20k hours of service life they just don't seem like worthwhile components for anything but a disposable camera.

Comment

That rating isn't a LifeSPAN rating it's a Load Life rating [aka Endurance.]
                                    It has NOTHING to do with how long the caps are expected to last in normal use.
                                    It is how many hours you can run the cap at Max Temp -and- Max Volts -and- Max Ripple Current (all at the same time) -and- NOT have the cap go out of spec.
                                    It should be obvious that it isn't LifeSPAN as Rubycon MBZ, MCZ and Nichicon HM, HN, HZ are -all- rated for 2000 hrs.
                                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM.
                                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

The rating is in fact a lifespan at 105C. It is designated as both "Load life" and "Shelf life" in the spec sheet, but don't take my word for it

If the CapXcon capacitors in my monitor were operating outside or on the edge of their rating then they clearly weren't suitable for the task to which they were purposed. Regardless the caps failed as evidenced by my effective repair by replacement. If you would like I'll bag up the old caps and mail them off to you so you can evaluate them with your ESR meter to validate my findings but I expect it'd just be a waste of time for us both.

What is obvious to me is that a capacitor with 10x the rated endurance of another capacitor with identical operating specifications should last 10x as long under identical conditions regardless of who the manufacturer is or what name has been given to the model.

I'm a grumpy old fart myself and nothing makes me feel more grumpy than someone making bad assumptions in a condescending tone with random capitalization.

Sorry to hijack your thread AloofOne, good luck with your monitor.

Comment

The rating is in fact a lifespan at 105C. It is designated as both "Load life" and "Shelf life" in the spec sheet, but don't take my word for it
                                        No, it's not.
                                        And to think so is inherently stupid.
                                        Do you ~really~ think the LifeSPAN of Rubycon MBZ is only 2000 hrs?
                                        - That's only 83 days.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

A number of manufacturers give equations to get from Load Life to LifeSPAN.
                                          [Which further shows they are not the same thing.]

The problem is those equations are only good to +/-40%. (Some of them state this when they give the equation.)
                                          So, you do all the math and come up with 10 years. (10-20 years would be typical.)
                                          It -really- means: "somewhere between 6 and 14 years".
                                          - NOT USEFUL for any PRACTICAL purpose.

Anyone with any experience knows quality brand 105C caps last 10, 15, 20 or more years.
                                          The equipment will be obsolete before the caps are even close to wearing out.
                                          - That is REGARDLESS of their Load Life rating.
                                          Thus - worrying about the Load Life rating is A WASTE OF TIME.

~~~
                                          That said:
                                          Temp changes the Load Life and LifeSPAN by the same percent.
                                          [This is because temp is in the same place in both correction equations.]
                                          So: If you double Load Life the you also double LifeSPAN.
                                          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-22-2012, 04:17 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X