Calibrating my Hakko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calibrating my Hakko

My Hakko 936 was being flakey, so I replaced the element/sensor with one from Ebay. Works great now. I was wondering how to properly calibrate it. I read a thread here that said ballpark it based on the melting point of solder.
    Sounds reasonable and probably good enough, but I'm usually not satisfied with "good enough"

I was looking into devices that would measure temps that high, and thought about getting a Fluke probe, but decided against it.

Today whilst rummaging in my desk drawer at work, I spotted the temperature probe that came with my el-cheapo "don't care if it gets borrowed stolen or fried" DMM that I use at work. Interesting, the probe has obvious high-temp insulation over the wire. So I thought, hmmm.. what if?
    So I fired up my Weller pyropen iron, and tried it. Went up to 400C without self-destructing, then back to fairly accurate room temp afterwards, so I'll be trying calibration tonight.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Calibrating my Hakko

First off a Chinamart heating element is most likely a wire wound resistor OEM Hakko elements are printed ceramic which are much easier to regulate.

Hakko makes a special tool for tip calibration. It's called the Hakko FG100-01 and has replacement elements.

If the temp probe you have doesn't melt then the next thing to ask would be what it's accuracy is the Hakko instrument I have is accurate to + or - 1 C.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Re: Calibrating my Hakko

The replacement element was a genuine Hakko part, in a Hakko package from what appears to be a reputable shop in MO. Looks, feels and smells like the one I removed.

I doubt the temp probe is hugely accurate, but having ballparked the calibration, I checked it at 300c and the probe read 302, so close enough for me.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
      X