Toshiba 37AV502R BAD Psu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba 37AV502R BAD Psu?

Bad startup cap, is it the same logo as the others? Startup caps seem to go bad quite often though not seen it yet in a Toshiba.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just pulling it out, same brand, I will post a pic after of the cap, top looks great.
      Just wanted to see how long it will go, Been on solid with a 720p signal for close to an hr, But that is only because it is maintaining the high temp now, once it cools down I am sure it will mess up again so replacing it shortly. I will post value and voltage and board component number for others to find if they run across this problem.

Huge props to you tom66!

It is a 50v 22uF KY series, C207 on board.
      Last edited by IamCanadian; 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Update,
        Replacing that cap made the power supply stable under all loads, However I did also have to reflow the main board to make the tv function reliably. been on for 16 hrs now with not a single hickup.

Comment

Glad to hear you fixed it.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks again tom66 You really helped speed up this process, I never would have even looked at that small cap, I think a high resistance joint on the mainboard caused that cap to fail drawing too much current and overworking that cap.

Comment

That cap usually wears out on its own but it is under higher stress when the power supply is at -low- load, i.e. in standby.

Comment

Hair dryer is your friend for troubleshooting bad cap problem.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yes, it can be very handy. I got this Samsung to power up (with bad caps) by heating them with a hairdryer.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggn_ggaPvc4&t=2m35s

Comment

I used to have the WHAH brand heat blower in the 70's that I have used for troubleshooting, iy has small nozzle attachment for localizing the heat. I do not know what I did to it. Now I use one of those cheapadjust able soldering iron set it to low and heat individual cap without heating the whole for pinpointing the bad cap, no power apply to the board of course.
                    Last edited by budm; 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Found a Panasonic Plasma 42" Viera from 2010 for $100.00 with blinking red led, May try that one next.

Comment

Heh, Panasonics are tricky to repair, but very, very nice TVs when working. Ask owner to tell you how many times it blinks.

Comment

I have this same TV, same symptoms -- cycles on and off one it warms up nicely. Tried adding another cap tho this cap in parallel, but that didnt do anything. Is this a high ESR cap? If I pull another cap from a old power board (for another TV), should I pull the black or the brown caps to substitue for this cap?

Comment

Ideally, you'd use a new cap. The failure is generally due to leakage current; putting one in parallel will only make the problem worse. Sometimes the capacitance just falls so parallel ones will work. YMMV.

Comment

I have caps sitting around, should I worry about the ESR value for the caps? I don't think I have any low ESR caps sitting around. What does this cap do? I am going to try and replace this with another cap, since you mentioned leakage.

Comment

ESR isn't critical, and capacitance should be at least as much as was originally there. Larger capacitance will mean the TV takes longer to start from plugging in.

Comment

I tried replacing this cap but the problem persists. The user above also reports the same issue, but then he stated he had to reflow the board to get it working. I am thinking the issue is something else at this point. Looks like what is happening is that as soon as the backlights come on, the 24 volts drop and the power supply shuts down, then the voltage comes back up and triggers the back light on and the process repeats. I am wondering if this could be a problem in the inverter board rather than the PSU? But then that doesn't explain why the above user got it working.

Comment

Maybe it's an entirely different problem. The reflowing did seem odd to me. Can you get hold of some 1157 car rear light bulbs? Two in series can make a good load for 24V.

Comment

Yeah, I can try that. So, with two 1157 bulbs in series, you expect the same load as the inverter boards? Thst is a good test, I will have to perform that tonight. Right now I am at work. What is so special about the 1157 bulbs?

Comment

It will not be the same as an inverter (which draws close to 180W), but it should be enough load to evaluate the PSU's performance.

Comment

I did a reflow on the main board. Because the tv would freeze, audio would lock up and video would skip, to me this indicates a bad solder joint just like what happens to a PS3 or xbox 360 with lead free solder. But your issue is different from mine.

Comment

Working...
                                          X