No boot issue....silly antec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No boot issue....silly antec

OK, here's the story: I upgraded my computer a few weeks ago to a Core i7, etc, and sold my old stuff to my little brother. So he puts it all in his case, and when he turns it on the fans and hard drives and everything spin up, but no video activity or anything. So we unplugged the hard drives and cd drives, and still nothing. Then I told him to take out the RAM and try running it one stick at a time, with each of the 4 sticks. Still nothing.
    So then tonight I start working on it. First I unplugged everything and took the motherboard out, and inspected it. No visible damage, other than where my water cooling system peed on it, and the leftover foam crap from CPU backplates, both of which were there when I was using the board, when it worked. Put it back in, hooked it up to just the power and the power switch, and still nothing. Then I tried using the jumpers on the motherboard to reset the BIOS - same result. So then I thought to myself hmmm it could be the power supply.....so I take out the power supply, open it up, and what should I see but leaking capacitors! Well, just one leaker, but two bulgers too. The leaker and one bulger are on the +5vsb, and the other bulger is an input cap. So then I put in my newly renovated logisys psu, thinking that if something's wacky with that psu then it would work with mine, and I still get the same thing.
    So having his psu opened, I plugged it in, and looked at the +5vsb reading, I get 5.42v with no load, and when I put in a 51ohm resistor, I get 5.02v. So it seems to be working, but I don't know what happens when it gets hot. I read on other posts here that if the +5vsb gets too high it can fry the southbridge, so I looked at the southbridge chip and I can't see any scorching or melting or anything bad.

Does anybody have any insight or ideas that could help me?

Here is (hopefully) all of the relevant information:
    His PSU - Antec SmartPower 500W
    his mobo - Intel 855XBK
    he got a msi 9600GT for a video card, but when I've got my psu in there I've got the PCI radeon 7500 out of my server.
    he's had his antec for about 2 years now I think, and it was running his old system just fine (p4 2.0 w/ 768MB pc133)

That should be everything you need to know...but chances are good that I forgot something...any ideas anybody has would be great though Thanks!

Re: No boot issue....silly antec

ewww smartpowers are from when antec had a little fling with fujiyuu.

Does the re-done logisys work well on other computers?

Fujiyuu and CWT moved out after being caught cheating with about every other psu maker out there, CWT is a major whore in the psu business, been with a lot of manufacturers. But they have gotten rid of their std Fujiyuu, and is now a high-class whore.

Antec plays it safe now and only has dinner with delta and seasonic, as well as fsp on their lower end models.

Comment

Hi Etnietering

You should not risk plugging that particular PSU into any parts you might want to not destroy.

Any bulging or leaking caps in a PSU are really bad.

Most likely that Smartpower has the infamous Fuhyjju brand caps that are likely over-rated in the first place and veery prone to failure inside a hot-running Antec PSU. Any one of them can destroy all manner of computer parts such as motherboards, hard drives, videocards, etc.

The Antec Smartpowers didn't tend to get all crazy on the 5vsb like some Bestecs did. The Smartpowers would more often get insanely high Ripple on the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails. The bulging caps are connected to 5vsb? Probably not worth the risk of hooking it up.

This Ripple can cause instability, no boot or widespread damage.

Any other PSU to try other than the re-work? I wouldn't recommend trying this one on yet another system.

Your best option is to replace the PSU immediately and if you feel like experimenting, order up some Low ESR caps for it.

Good Luck,
      Keri
      Last edited by KeriJane; 08-04-2009, 08:47 PM.
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

yeah, the two little bastards on the +5vsb are fuhjyyyyyyyyu's, but they're the only bad ones on the secondary side. i also saw some teapo and koshins, but those are the really tiny ones. the input caps are panasonic! I can't believe a panasonic would go bad...this thing has two fans, and great airflow around the primary caps, and the +5vsb are RIGHT in front a fan....

edit: the secondary side is stuffed full of fuhjyyu - but those are the only two bad ones. I'm going to tell my brother to either let me recap it (for the price of parts) or get a new power supply, regardless of what he has to do about maybe getting a new motherboard or something, if this one is fried.

Comment

Here's where an ESR meter or a Oscilloscope makes a great friend.

That's the best way to tell what's going on in the Dark Forest of Fuhyjju.

They don't always pop the top. Usually, but not always. Looks Good doesn't mean Is Good.

The cooling in a SmartPower isn't as good as it would appear. In many models the exhaust fan didn't even turn on until things got really toasty and in all models they are designed to run slowly and quietly.
          Higher-speed fans or reworking the controller for better cooling is a good idea when recapping.

If you were in the neighborhood you could scope it over here....

Good Luck,
          Keri

Comment

It won't start if the ripple is too much. You actually have quite a few failed caps in there that could be shorted or open. Replace with slightly larger uF values (at least 105C) if you want to keep your power supply, otherwise buy a new one.

I haven't had any repeat failures when recapping the supply except for bestecs. You should be fine.

If it still shows no video with a different power supply then it probably took the chipset or mosfets/caps.

Comment

I WISH I had an oscilloscope...although if I did I'd probably fail school then because I'd be too busy playing....hehe...I'm about 6 hours from chicago...sorry, maybe I could go to work with my dad one day and use the lab they have there...
              I do remember noticing how quiet it was when he got it (not that it matters with the rest of his fans though) but I just assumed that they wouldn't be boneheaded enough to run the fans so slow that the caps would cook....silly me

I looked more closely at the VRMs and such on the motherboard, and couldn't see any visible damage...

I think what I'll do next (probably tomorrow) is try my logisys in his old motherboard, just to make sure it's actually working. It's too bad that that's the only lga775 motherboard in the house...maybe my friend would let me borrow some of his stuff for testing and troubleshooting

oh, the mobo is actually a 955XBK, not an 855, and the CPU is a Pentium D 830

Comment

I bought my Antec for the quiet fans. The factory fans and the controllers settings are fine for quality cap brands. I used Panasonic FCs.

Remember that the PSU has 2 fans the one on the inside of the computer case is always running. The rear fan is the one that only comes on when the temps get high enough.

It's not the heat Fukyuu caps are crap hands down. They'd fail during operation in a vat of liquid nitrogen .

I've personally recapped 3 Smartpowers and 1 Truepower great supplies that haven't let me down yet.
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-04-2009, 10:08 PM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Before you touch anything, how old is that PSU?

Antec was (up to 3 months ago) still RMA-ing SP's & SP2's.

Go to their site and start a support ticket. You'll need the S/N off the PSU.

If they give you a hard time about it being too old, you can always be *ahem* "creative" about a sales invoice...

Here's the link for support:
                  http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/inde...support_online

Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

NOOOOO!!!! do not rma it! all that does is send you a new box of shit. fix the one you got or buy a delta, seasonic, etc. if you go the recap route, maybe wire the rear fan straightly to 12v (or both 5 and 12 if you want to undervolt it some, i personally don't like undervolting). hardwired fans always keep stuff cool.

also some pice would be nice. the antec that came with my dad's case from 7 years ago had crappy heatsinks. it got the gut-for-fans-and-wire treatment.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

>>all that does is send you a new box of shit.<<

Opinion or fact? Recent dealings with Antec?

Please explain.

Toast
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

well if model x was a crap model, then rma sends you another one of the same crap model. you might have bought some more time but it is till a gamble. i would imagine what they would send would be shit. i do not own any newer antecs since they are so $$$$$$$. i am justfing my response on logic.

fix it and be done. would be more reliable in my opinion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi ratdude

Sorry, but that's not how Antec is handling RMA these days.

The crappy 'ol SmartPowers and TruePowers are no longer in production. They are not about to go to the expense of re-starting production for warranty returns. They do not have a giant stockpile on hand either.

Antec has been sending out vastly superior Delta and Seasonic PSUs for RMA.
                          I know this because I bought a Delta sourced Earthwatts 500 from someone that RMA'd a TruePower recently and got the Delta in return. I posted it here somewhere once.

The Delta appears to be a very well done PSU.

RMA if you can,
                          Keri

Comment

KJ, that is good to know.
                            I have shit canned old ANTEC supplies because I don't want another of same as an RMA.

Comment

Thank you KJ. It's precisely the point I was going to make. I've done 2 - SP2's since February this year and both have been replaced with Earthwatts Deltas.

Both were "pay-in-advance" transactions where Antec cross-shipped the replacements and I paid for shipping back of the old ones. Once they received the dead ones, they refunded my money, but not my return shipping. Fair enough... $8.95 for a new 500 watt PFC supply.

Recapping is all fine and good. But, you can replace every single cap for let's say less than $25 including shipping, on a 5-7 year old PSU, only to have a major failure in the FET's or a transformer a week later. Where are you?

Also, as I have said in other posts, your time and effort has to be worth something. At minimum wage you're going to easily chew up $30 of time you could be flippin' burgers. I'm hungry dammit!! Where are you?!

Or, pay under $75 for a decent brand new PSU with a 2-3 year warranty and be more confident that it's not going knockers up in the middle of something critical.

Repair may be the only option. Replacement is not an option for many people or many circumstances such as specialized units or industrial applications.

Toast
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

$30 bucks? Minimum wage in NJ is $7.25 per hour you saying it takes 4 hours to recap these things?

45 mins for me less than 1 hour minimum wage works for me .

I'm surprised Antec is still replacing these PSUs.

I'd think they'd honor the returns for 2-3 years and after that screw you.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                  i do not own any newer antecs since they are so $$$$$$$.
                                  Ratdude I do not mean to insult you, but this mentality is why everything sold these days is such shit. Everybody wants good stuff, but they also want it CHEAP. You gotta suck it in and cough up the dough if you want quality.

Like I said, I do not mean to insult you or anyone... I'm pissy about this subject because I just got into an argument with a friend last night about cheap cases. People don't see the point in spending a bit of $$$ for something decent, but they sure do love to bitch and wonder out loud when it craps out / falls apart a year later.

Comment

Hmmm... fine for those of us who are set-up and stocked for such things.

Speaking novice/n00b here.
                                    - Learning how to get the caps out without destroying the foil traces or the ones that are double sided.
                                    - equipment
                                    - researching parts online
                                    - time spent here asking questions and researching
                                    - not finding that whacko-sized 3300uF cap at 25mm x 8mm that was shoe-horned in to begin with
                                    - more research
                                    - ordering from 2 different sources

...ad nauseum

By the time you're done, you've chewed up a considerable amount of your time.

I'm still hungry....!

Toast
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                                      Ratdude I do not mean to insult you, but this mentality is why everything sold these days is such shit. Everybody wants good stuff, but they also want it CHEAP. You gotta suck it in and cough up the dough if you want quality.

Like I said, I do not mean to insult you or anyone... I'm pissy about this subject because I just got into an argument with a friend last night about cheap cases. People don't see the point in spending a bit of $$$ for something decent, but they sure do love to bitch and wonder out loud when it craps out / falls apart a year later.
                                      ok, so pick a bank for me to rob. no money= no money

ok, jk about that. i dont buy antecs simply because they used to be crap with a gold pricetag. i save money by buying higher quality USED stuff... mainly used Deltas. i will be buying one of thes 550w acbel units this week.
                                      sigpic

Comment

>>ok, so pick a bank for me to rob. no money= no money<<

LOL! Toast breaks out small violin and begins to play....

I'm still hungry! Get them burgers flippin' son!
                                        and YES, I want fries with that!

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                        X