Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Plasma Red Screen Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Plasma Red Screen Issues

OK, tried unplugging 2 cables to "D" board and plugging back in with no luck. Against my better judgment I plugged the TV in and probed cables with a wooden stick while watching image in a mirror. As soon as I touched one certain cable the red pixels flickered and picture was fine. Any slight movement of said cable made red pix. flicker / come and go. Now to pull that cable and inspect it and the "A" and "D" board connectors that it plugs in to. I think I've got it!
    See pics for this cables' orientation on "A" board.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by snowmaker77 View Post
      Any chance you remember exactly which connector on D board was the fussy one? My "red pix." problem just came back. A friend suggested the problem might be in a ribbon cable as he has seen this before.

Thank you!
      It'll likely be the one which is very fine pitch with a lot of small wires... if there are multiple, may as well reseat them all, takes 5 mins.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. As I mentioned in my last post, it turned out to be the thick brown braided cable going from top center of "A" board to top left-of-center on the "D" board.

While I'm on a roll, I think I'll try to troubleshoot the old main board in my Monitor KWH124 on-demand hot water heater. My homeowners ins. bought me a replacement, but I kept the old one that failed.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Glad to see you got your fixed, I've been off this forum for awhile so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Mine was actually the ribbon cable end which connected to the D board -- just became slightly unplugged which caused this problem. Just pushing it back in place fixed it.

Comment

Had the same red screen issue on a Panasonic 50" TH-50PC77U. After running for about 15 minutes the screen went red as shown in the pictures in the above posts. The connector with the fine individual red colored wires seems to be the problem. The connector that is closest to the screen(so it does get hot) on the board that is under the board with the RCA connectors was the culprit. It has been on for almost two hours now with no degradation. Not sure how to make a permanent fix.

Comment

You guys saved my Panasonic TH-42PA60E. I was getting the glittery red screen problem. I took the back cover off. Cleaned out all the dust with a vacume cleaner and a small brush. I then plugged the tv in and carefully fiddled with all the cables and plugs. I kept an eye on the screen with the aid of a mirror. As soon as i pulled on the cable in photo, bam! Fixed! Thanks guys!
              Attached Files

Comment

I am having the same problem now with my Panasonic TH-46PZ800U. A (stupid) friend suggested I just throw it away and buy a cheaper TV with 2013 technology because it is not worth salvaging a 2008 TV. I disagree. I love my Panasonic Viera, and I have only infrequently used it since I bought it and it has been in storage for the past two years. I will attempt to troubleshoot using the ideas I learned on this site. If not, I will come back to you guys tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

I picked up a 46PZ80B with half noisy screen half black, was also the same cable. These TVs are otherwise extremely reliable.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom 66 and Consult 20;
                    Hey, I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ77U, which went totally red about 9 months ago. Just like yours Consult20. It is now about 6 yrs old. I opened it up, and noticed how dirty it was and full of dust. I vacuumed and air blew it out, which cured the issue. Well, last week, the problem came back. After warming up, the screen would go red. After reading your inputs and suggestions, I took the input board out, and as soon as I lifted it out, noticed a connector on the main board was askew, and half way out. I took the time to clean everything up good, cleaned and reseated all connectors I could see -- and rerouted one set of wires so they were not resting directly on the back of the screen, but slightly away from the screen, buttoned everything back up, and the problem is gone. It has not come back this last week. I am confident that was the issue. THANK-YOU for your inputs and help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Greetings everyone! I have been working on the blacks turning red issue on my 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U built Aug 2008. Like others mentioned, it became worse over a few months. Started intermittent. I orig thought the fireplace below it did it, but that was there since Oct 2008 and never affected before. The problem also continued for the past month not using the fireplace at all. I also noticed now it has become worse, it starts to turn red after 15 min. The other thing I wondered about the issue is if the DVR triggered it. Somewhere I read people blamed it on DVR?? I am thinking it is the cable issue or dirty cooling fans. So I opened the bad boy up...

Mine has 4 fans, all working just fine. Little dust. I cleaned them. I also found that infamous red twisted connector that seats to the Main input board . It did not seem loose, but it does come out rather easy, especially from the inputs / main board. May have been a little crooked but not real obvious. I did reseat everything in that area. I now am running the set with the back off watching the fans seeing if I did anything. Seeing if my psycho red comes back. I loved this this set, I hope I can save it.

Comment

Great site. I look forward to fixing my Panasonic--it's been a good TV, though I don't like seeing red. Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

Comment

So far so good...The TV has worked fine for 4 days! NO RED! Cleaned the fans and reseated those pink/red stranded wired lines with metal connectors....If that is indeed the problem, it just seems to weird that it is not published more. This site was great for the info adn I thank the folks that shared pics. I will remount on wall soon and hope the problem is cured...This Panny is a heavy beast to hang but I do believe it is made well and worth effort to save and repair.
                          Last edited by tgh; 04-18-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Well, my 46" has been working for over a year, I can't see why it wouldn't be permanent.

Comment

What do you think made it do it in the first place? My thought is it will get dusty or jar loose and overheat again and do it. Any idea what that connector is or does and why it happened? I am curious on what caused it and what the function is of those leads. Do those red little wires deliver voltage? color? etc...I agree that caused the problem but am curious enough to want to know what it is or was lol

Comment

It's a high speed digital data link encoding the individual pixel data. If the connection is loose, an impedance mismatch is created, which causes a reflection (think of a water tank: if the end of the tank is a solid wall, the signal (wave) will get reflected back, but if it's a matched end, no reflection is created.) This causes distortion on the signal causing your problem.

As for why it happens, I suspect it's related to it not being correctly seated at the factory and slowly working itself loose from thermal expansion.

Comment

Tom, thank you so much! Again, I think this site is great for folks to share this data with everyone! Tom

Comment

I have a p50v10 that I got from Singapore. Started getting random flickering for some time now (almost an year). Few days back started getting the red screen. Read the solution mentioned here and gave it a shot today. Seems the red screen issue is resolved for now and also I don't see any screen flickering. Keeping my fingers crossed.Thanks guys .

Comment

Had the same red pixel problem with my plasma, bad connection on the D board. Thanks Guys! you saved me the cost of repair or a new TV. There was a ribbon cable with all red wires on the top, center of the D board that was not seated properly. After putting everything back together I noticed I could've got to it without removing the A board. Doesn't matter now, its fixed.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the solution guys, just fixed my viera. Only difference was mine would have the red screen from start up.

Comment

Also some pictures.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X