Hannspree Xm M19W1 and Viewsonic VA1912W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hannspree Xm M19W1 and Viewsonic VA1912W

Hi, I have a Hannspree Xm M19W1 and Viewsonic VA1912W VS10866 with blown caps. Below is a table of the caps found in both.

I am going to replace them all except the ost with Rubycon ZL. Can't get 2.2uf in Rubycon ZL so what would be a suitable replacement?

Will Rubycon ZL's be fine for both lcds?
    Is it right that the big cap found in each lcd does not need to be replaced if its not blown?

Thankyou

djrock
    Attached Files

Re: Hannspree Xm M19W1 and Viewsonic VA1912W

Originally posted by djrock View Post
    Hi, I have a Hannspree Xm M19W1 and Viewsonic VA1912W VS10866 with blown caps. Below is a table of the caps found in both.

I am going to replace them all except the ost with Rubycon ZL. Can't get 2.2uf in Rubycon ZL so what would be a suitable replacement?

Will Rubycon ZL's be fine for both lcds?
    Is it right that the big cap found in each lcd does not need to be replaced if its not blown?

Thankyou

djrock
    The caps you have listed are fine. The ZL is a good series for monitors. You can go with a slightly higher ESR cap for the 2.2uF. If they are available in Rubycon YXG , YXH , ZT series use them, a Panasonic FC series would also work.

The large cap rarely fails. I estimate about 1% of the problems reported here are due to a bad mains filter cap. Replacing it is a matter of choice, but I suggest certain guidelines. If there is any sign of damage or leakage, replace it. If the monitor was exceptionally difficult to open, or is in a vital application, replace it.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok, I can get the 2.2uf in Panasonic fc. The big caps are not cheap. They both look fine but getting the casing off the lcds was not easy due to all the clips. If I were to replace them will any good brand cap do? Or does it have to have the same spec's like the ruby zl?

Thankyou

Comment

Ok, I can get the 2.2uf in Panasonic fc. The big caps are not cheap. They both look fine but getting the casing off the lcds was not easy due to all the clips. If I were to replace them will any good brand cap do? Or does it have to have the same spec's like the ruby zl?

Thankyou
        Since the large caps don't work at the higher frequencies that the smaller ones do, you can generally get away with using general purpose ones. Just make sure they are rated at 105 deg C and will physically fit size wise. But, like PlainBill says, they rarely fail.

Comment

Ok, I might risk it and leave the big caps. Hopefully will have them both recapped before the end of the week.

I won't be surprised if I have to do another recap of something else. Having just noticed my main machine has the start of bad caps. bleep! and bleep! They do say it comes in 3's. Will be starting a new thread about it soon.

Thankyou

Comment

UPDATE: Success! Both are now working. Well the Viewsonic nearly is.

The problem I am getting with the Viewsonic is, it has a faint flicker. Then after about 20 seconds disappears. If I turn it off the on again it does it again. Haven't had it on for very long just in case it might damage it.

I thought it might have been a bad solder joint. So went over all my joints again and dodgy looking factory ones. Still the same. I thought I had cured it at one point, then to be faced with it again after screwing the pcb and metal cover back on.

What could be the cause of this? I will take another good look at the recapped board but after that I'm stuck.

Thankyou

djrock

Comment

UPDATE: Success! Both are now working. Well the Viewsonic nearly is.

The problem I am getting with the Viewsonic is, it has a faint flicker. Then after about 20 seconds disappears. If I turn it off the on again it does it again. Haven't had it on for very long just in case it might damage it.

I thought it might have been a bad solder joint. So went over all my joints again and dodgy looking factory ones. Still the same. I thought I had cured it at one point, then to be faced with it again after screwing the pcb and metal cover back on.

What could be the cause of this? I will take another good look at the recapped board but after that I'm stuck.

Thankyou

djrock

1) reseat ribbon cable form logic board to LCD panel.

2) If your power supply is putting out the correct voltages after the recap, then it's possible that you may have some dried out caps on the logic board.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                1) reseat ribbon cable form logic board to LCD panel.
                The board that has the vga and dvi sockets?

2) If your power supply is putting out the correct voltages after the recap, then it's possible that you may have some dried out caps on the logic board.
                Roughly where about to take the voltage measurements and what voltages should I expected? I have attached a photo of the pcb taken before the recap.

Can poly caps dry out?

Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully, that's a photo of the board before you did the recap?

Yes, the logic board is the one with the vga and dvi sockets. Caps on the logic board are probably ok.

Voltage outputs are taken at the connector joining the logic and power boards together. Voltages should be silkscreened on the power board. Check for the 5V and 12-14V outputs.

Comment

Hopefully, that's a photo of the board before you did the recap?
                    Yes it is.
                    Yes, the logic board is the one with the vga and dvi sockets. Caps on the logic board are probably ok.

Voltage outputs are taken at the connector joining the logic and power boards together. Voltages should be silkscreened on the power board. Check for the 5V and 12-14V outputs.
                    OK, What is silkscreened?

Comment

I went through the pins and found the 5 and 12v the readings were 5v and 12.06v. Whats the next thing to look for?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Working...
                        X