Bad Rubycon, too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Rubycon, too?

Just found a bulged MCZ in a Dell Dimension 5000... Is this a common occurrence?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Bad Rubycon, too?

When overheated, yes. I've seen bulged caps from every brand when used in SFF machines for over 5 years.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
      When overheated, yes. I've seen bulged caps from every brand when used in SFF machines for over 5 years.
      It's a fat tower, and all of the other caps are good. Seems strange; there look to be other caps in parallel, which are ok.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Might have been a defective cap. It happens.

You have an ESR meter? If so, pull them all and test them just to be sure.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I harvest as many bad rubycons these days as KZG's. mostly from USFF systems....but some aren't.... No cap is indestructible, given enough time and heat, the best lytics will spooge...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I'm not allowed to touch any of the systems here with the iron or ESR meter; boss says just leave it, so I will! When it goes bad in a year's time, I can simply say "I warned you..." I also found another Dell (I think Optiplex 280) with a bad Nichicon HM but with 2006 date code - not in the 2001-2004 range for manufacturing defects, so I guess it just went bad on its own too. And a power supply with two bad Fukkyuus.

Comment

Could it be ripple from the power supply in excess of its specs? If the PSU is failing enough. I often see "MCZ" when I hear of Rubycon failures so it has been noted before that MCZs are sensitive to heat, maybe moreso than other "good" capacitors for whatever reason.

Comment

A guy I know who bought a pickup truck full of Pentium 4 Dells (mostly Optiplex GX270) and spent the weekend recapping them said he was surprised to find so many failed Rubycons next to the heatsink, but they weren't nearly as bad as the Nichicons in the same locations.

Comment

Working...
                X