Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung T260

Hi List Members,
    I am now the proud owner of a dead Samsung T260. It was made in May 2008, so I am hoping it doesn't have too many hours on it. It set me back $25.

I took out the power supply circuit, and have attached some photos below. The caps look ok on appearance, but all the same I will change them just add to the reliability.

At first glance, T301 looks like it became really hot; indeed, it does not have continuity across my ohm meter. Can anyone suggest a replacement?

Also, I am thinking that something caused this to blow. There appears to be another hot spot just below the transformer, almost exactly where the 'Solder' arrow points.

I read in another post on a T240 that I might suspect the transformer; I have attempted to take an ohm reading across the four different points, and I have annotated my photo. Can someone confirm that I did it correctly? If yes, does this confirm a dead transformer?

Also, the hot spot in the direction of the 'Solder' arrow has a component below it, which I also suspect, for no other reason that it looks like it was hot once upon a time. Can anyone add their thoughts on this? I have added a closeup photo of that component as well.

Thanks as always...

LAS.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung T260

Originally posted by LAS View Post
    dead Samsung T260.
    Define dead.

1) Does the power LED come on at all?

2) Do you have any DC voltages at the connector on the power board? Measure and report the found DC voltage compared to what is written on the legend.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi Retiredcaps,

The power light comes on, but that is all that happens. No light at all from the screen, not even a quick flash of light.

I will check the dc voltages later, hopefully tonight and report back.

In my opening post, I stated that T301 looks like it was hot; actually, after looking at the board again, it looks like it was the resistor R301 that was hot. And it is open.

Comment

it looks like it was the resistor R301 that was hot. And it is open.
        I would desolder R301 and verify it is completely open out of circuit.

In addition, check picofuse F301 (the green one) just below R301. A good fuse should measure 1.0 ohms. You can measure the fuse "in circuit".

It could be a simple fuse if you have no backlights.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also, what is the color band on R301? Your photo is nice and clear, but the colors are difficult for me to make out.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, here we go:
            Pin 1 PWM DIM reads 0
            #2 should be 15v - reads 15.4
            #3 s/b gnd - reads 0
            #4 s/b gnd - reads 0
            #5 s/b gnd - reads 0
            #6 s/b 5.2v - reads 5.4
            #7 s/b 5.2 - reads 5.4
            #8 A-DIM - reads 0
            #9 on/off - reads 0
            #10 s/b 3.3v - reads 0 (!)
            #11 LED - reads 0
            #12 KEY1 - reads 0
            #13 KEY2 - reads 0
            #14 GND - reads 0

Comment

Color band on R301 - I was about to consult the collective wisdom of the list because I couldn't make out the colors either.

Comment

OK, here we go:
                #10 s/b 3.3v - reads 0 (!)
                What about the picofuse as per post #4?
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Picofuse coming up next.

Meanwhile, R301 out of circuit now read 389k ohms.

Comment

The green picofuse F301 just below R301 measures .2 ohms.

Comment

1) Fuse is good.

2) Let's get a picture of the main logic board.

3) When you press the on/off button, I believe pin 9 should go from 0 to over 3V DC.

4) I'm looking at some other pics on the Internet for colors on R301.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Meanwhile, R301 out of circuit now read 389k ohms.
                        One of the reasons we (mainly PlainBill and I) insist on clear focused pictures is for this very reason.

I was able to find another identical power board (IP-54155A) on badcaps.net that had a slightly better picture.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1275552641

On the above pic, I can make out orange, white, yellow. According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...r_and_inductor

that is 39x10(4th power) or 390,000. So your reading 389k is correct.

The resistor is good despite the burned look.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I read in another post on a T240 that I might suspect the transformer; I have attempted to take an ohm reading across the four different points, and I have annotated my photo. Can someone confirm that I did it correctly? If yes, does this confirm a dead transformer?
                          Okay, I didn't forget about this, but sometimes I don't work in the same order as everyone else.

According to

http://www.lcdparts.net/TransformerD...ProductID=3696

there are 4 secondary pins. The resistance should be 940 ohms between S1 and S2. Same for S3 and S4. If you are reading an open circuit, desolder the transformer and remeasure to verify.

If it is open, you have found the problem. There are plentiful replacement parts on ebay.com starting at $8 USD with free shipping.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry you didn't like the first set of pictures. To my untrained eye they looked ok. I also couldn't read the resistor bands as I looked directly at it.

Here are a couple of shots of the logic board. I won't be able to test the on/off bit until the morning, but I will get back to you at that time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

OK, I remove transformer in the morning and let's see what that brings...

Comment

Also, the hot spot in the direction of the 'Solder' arrow has a component below it, which I also suspect, for no other reason that it looks like it was hot once upon a time. Can anyone add their thoughts on this? I have added a closeup photo of that component as well.
                                Mosfets can get hot during operation and discolor the board. I have seen it many times and there is nothing to really worry about.

Datasheet is here

I would say if the inverter transfomer tests open out of circuit, you have probably found the culprit. If that is the problem, then you got a pretty sweet deal for $25 + $8 on a 26 inch monitor.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ha ha ha, it balances out that 2004 $30 one I bought a couple of weeks ago!

I am still entertaining the idea of putting in new ccfl tubes and then donating it to our local school. They sure could use it.

Comment

Sorry you didn't like the first set of pictures.
                                    Don't get me wrong, they are good (better than 98.5% of the people who post here), but the other picture was better since I could actually make out the colors without having to "make the question fit the answer".

Anyway, we now know the actual value and so will future people.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am still entertaining the idea of putting in new ccfl tubes and then donating it to our local school. They sure could use it.
                                      If you put in new ccfls lamps, then be aware it is a very time consuming and fragile job. I did it once for a learning experience, but will probably not do it again. After I changed it out, I thought I had a nice 19 inch 2008 widescreen monitor. Then I turned it on and had a 1.5 inch vertical strip. ARRGGGHH. One of the tab bonds broke off and it is unrepairable.

Step by step tutorial at

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

They are also sold "pre harnessed" to make the switch way easier, but obviously cost more.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, you just talked me out of it! I'm better off using my time to find other project monitors with more potential.

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of changing R301 to something a bit beefier. Perhaps 2W. A good idea?

Comment

Working...
                                        X