Faulty Monitor. Kinda works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty Monitor. Kinda works...

Hi everyone, new member and first time poster here.

I have an Acer AL2416w monitor which is a bit faulty. I have noticed similar problems with this monitor on the forums but before anyone tells me to use the advice in the other posts, I thought I'd do my own post because I have a little more detail which may pinpoint the problem.

So a week ago, the screen started to get a little darker each day. By the 4th day, the whole left hand side was almost unreadable, only for me because I knew what the icons where without seeing the text below them. On the 5th day, I heard a high pitched whining noise, then it went completely black. The green light stays green at the bottom too so it is getting a signal.

I have experience soldering in consoles etc but not in monitors so my knowledge of the part names are very limited. By matching up names to pictures in other peoples posts, I have noticed the 2 'mosfets' look slightly overheated ( a bit like burnt orange around their edges ), but apart from that, everything looks ok.

After I left it switched off for 2 days, it worked again, but much duller than usual, a slight flicker and almost quiet, but audible high pitch whine again. As before, it gets darker by the hour.

I was hoping because I noticed it get dark on one side before it went completely that it will help someone with more experience know what the problem might be...

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Re: Faulty Monitor. Kinda works...

I suggest you take it apart and post some photos of the power supply and inverter board using the "manage attachments" button. This model is notorius for the 100uf caps on the inverter board failing. Take a look at the bottom of each 100uf cap. If it's buldged at the bottom, then it's failed. Replace all 10 of them.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

I'll do my best to take some pictures for you tonight and upload tomorrow. I'm not sure which caps the 100uf ones are (would that be the label on them or a specific location on a certain board?), but none of the caps are buldging on the bits that I can see. The power board still has another protective metal plate over it which I haven't removed yet but the caps on the inverter board (as far as I'm aware is the left hand one) are fine...

Either way, I'll take as detailed pics as I can later.

Chris

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ght=Acer+2416W

Read this post completely. It has the largest number of replies and will help you to understand what you are going to need to do. Then attach pictures of the top and bottom of each of your two boards. Before attaching make sure they are clear enough to read the printing on the boards.
        Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Ok great. I'll have a good look through that post now. In the mean time, here is a few pics. If you need a pic of a specific part of a specific one let me know and I'll do my best with my phone. I brought it to work with me so...
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X