Panasonic TC-P60U50 7 blinks, then 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P60U50 7 blinks, then 8

I have no real experience with TV repair, but some with general hardware service and repair.

I have a 60" Panasonic plasma tv (model TC-P60U50) and the power led started blinking 7 times. After looking up the blink code I tried disconnecting the ribbon and power connectors from the Y sustain board. When reconnecting the power I got 8 blinks instead. From what I've seen on other forums (discussing other model number Panasonic plasmas) this means that both my Y sustain and buffer boards are hosed. I don't mind ordering new ones and swapping them out, but I was wondering if this is actually correct.

Am I on the right track here, or just moving around deck chairs on a sinking ship?

thanks.

Re: Panasonic TC-P60U50 7 blinks, then 8

Originally posted by throwback View Post
    I have no real experience with TV repair, but some with general hardware service and repair.

I have a 60" Panasonic plasma tv (model TC-P60U50) and the power led started blinking 7 times. After looking up the blink code I tried disconnecting the ribbon and power connectors from the Y sustain board. When reconnecting the power I got 8 blinks instead. From what I've seen on other forums (discussing other model number Panasonic plasmas) this means that both my Y sustain and buffer boards are hosed. I don't mind ordering new ones and swapping them out, but I was wondering if this is actually correct.

Am I on the right track here, or just moving around deck chairs on a sinking ship?

thanks.
    doing that just means the A-board is reporting correctly. 8 blink is what you get with sc20 removed.

With 7 blinks I would disconnect the 3 connectors from the SC to the SD/SU. remove the 4 earthing bolts on the sd/su that bolt to the SC.
    On the SC , locate the small 2 pin connector sc50, jumper/short those 2 pins together.

turn the TV on and if it no longer has 7 blinks and turns on with no errors then it will be either or both buffer boards.

If it still 7 blinks then it's SC and you will have to check the sd/su boards too.

these buffers are cheap at Shopjimmy. If they are faulty, I'd consider getting a an extra set for a rainy day as they are nearly out of stock. SC board also cheap and worth getting as spare.

As with all other models at some point you can't get spares so grab them while you can if you want to keep the TV for a long time.

You can determine which buffers are bad with a multimeter check for shorts between the Vfg ground point on the buffer and all the output pins.
    Last edited by tw2005; 07-26-2016, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that. Lower buffer board has several shorts. It's good to know which part to order a spare for.

cheers,
      throwback

Comment

Originally posted by throwback View Post
        Thanks for that. Lower buffer board has several shorts. It's good to know which part to order a spare for.

cheers,
        throwback
        Good luck. I still think grabbing full spare set of boards while you can could be handy in future

Comment

Hell yes!!! No shame in hoarding stuff you will actually use!
          You can always make a buck on them to fix the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
            Good luck. I still think grabbing full spare set of boards while you can could be handy in future
            Already ordered. Two of the dead board, one of the live, and a fresh Y sustain just for giggles. I figure that once I have them I'll never need them. That's usually how the world works for me.

Comment

Maybe but if you do you can pat yourself on the back and once they become rare of hard to get you will get more than what you paid. My 2011 models the buffers are very hard to find and expensive so mu c h that for me I've replace the chips to salvage the board and save money.

Comment

Working...
              X