Philips flat panel tv 15PF1520/28 black screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips flat panel tv 15PF1520/28 black screen

The sound works, but the case enclosing the panel is cold not warm like when the tv was working.

As someone who hates to throw things away I looked to see if anything could be fixed. See photos of two caps with bulging tops. My worry is that they failed from some other fault elsewhere. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Before I came here someone suggested the inverter... Ultimate problem is a new tv of this size is available at ~$150

TIA

Stephen
    Attached Files

Re: Philips flat panel tv 15PF1520/28 black screen

The two caps on the brown board are bulged - this IS the inverter board.
    I would replace them and see if it works.

I am assuming the tv is powered by and external power supply?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

There is an external power supply. I have ordered new caps, from elsewhere before I knew of this site.

I am trying to make sure that the caps did not fail due to a fault elsewhere that will destroy the new replaced caps. I am trying to understand why two caps would fail together without some exterior cause. Unless the they shared some kind of load that, when one failed, the other was over taxed??

Stephen

Comment

I think they are Capxon? if so they failed because they are rubbish!
        Caps on an inverter board work quite hard and they get hot ( the whole board
        gets hot from the two transformers.) What were the caps rated for 85degrees?
        you should replace with 105 ones.
        They both break down together because they are poor quality both are the same age have both worked the same time and under the same conditions.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

So, I got the caps and installed them. Still no video. Before getting back to my post, I found this:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ght=philips+15

There is talk of a 2.5 A fuse located on the bottom of the board where the flat cable is attached. I find a tiny red thingy, 2.5A stamped on it (needed a magnifying glass. I grew up in the 50s -60s and did not need tweezers nor magnifying glasses to work on the hi-fi kits I assembled.). I put a meter across the contacts and got an infinite amount of ohms. So that seems to be out.

Where do I get this animal? I sure do hope this will fix it.

Stephen

PS Capxon they were. The new ones were 75% taller and 25% wider.

Comment

Think we are going to need a close up picture of the fuse
            It is an oblong white one on the other thread.

Can you measure it length/width

Comment

this needs to be moved to Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Here's the photo. Hard to make sharp with such tight close-up. It is the chip at the F1 box. It measure 1/6" x 1/8." I looked a little on line and cannot find anything that looks that small. I don't even have the complete specs for it or what, exactly, to call it.

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Stephen

I am not sure how to move this thread if that is needed.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have learned that the fuse is a smf, surface mounted fuse. I am sure that some of you knew that. I did not. Despite the new-found intelligence I was not able to find a replacement for it anywhere.

So, what I did was go to RS and buy 2.5A, 250v glass fuses, jerry-rigged a fuse holder out of scrap brass sheet with leads soldered to the contacts on the board of the smf. I taped up the whole mess to insulate it, carefully laid it on top of the board, re-assembled the case, plugged it in, attached the cable box, waited for the cable box to reboot itself, turned it on and, voila, picture.

Thanks to all for heading me in the right direction. I did, however, spend about 10 hours on this, told my wife I was going to bill her $600 for labor, and read her email directing me to a website with a new 19" tv for $100. I did save the old tv from the landfill though - for now.

Stephen

Comment

Working...
                  X