ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card Cap Fallen off and Inductor Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card Cap Fallen off and Inductor Missing

Hello I have a ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card that has one Poly Cap that has Fallen off and Inductor Completely Missing. I have the Cap but no Inductor, I know it was on the card at some point because I see the solder marks where it was. So I need a replacement and can't find anything on the numbers or what I look for on digikey. Here are two photos I think from the ebay link that the one that is missing is the same value as the one next to the cap that fell off.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-9...vip=true&rt=nc
    Attached Files

Re: ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card Cap Fallen off and Inductor Missing

Cant you just use any 3.3uh inductor if you know how much current runs through it?
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

I don't know thats why I am asking, I can't seem to find anything when I look up these numbers,

Falco

THanks!

Comment

This guy says bridge it with coiled up wire.

He gets a little flaming for it though.

http://www.austech.info/electronics/...ication-q.html

Sorry I am not much help.

I had a look at a couple of old gpus I have but none have them type of inductors, would of sent you one.

Comment

Thanks for trying though! Hopefully someone else will come along and make a suggestion.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Here's a few shots of a 9800 Pro 128mb. Can't be too far from the same reference design ? Lightings' not the best but I hope it helps.
              Attached Files

Comment

3.3 UH, Just be sure to cover the amperage.

I think max draw through agp is 9.2 amps and I have read the 9800xt only draws around 3amps.

Comment

I don't know what the amperage would be. I found this .pdf on Falco's Website.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...215548ed15.pdf

Dimensions seem to indicate that it is either SDIP0804LP or SDIP0804, however the markings are not the same. Any idea what the 0419 means on mine? Still should I use the specs on the Data Sheet to find a new one? It would be either D08037 or D08001 which are rated [5.90 | 15] [MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE CURRENT (Amps) ** | DCR (m½)] and have 70 as a ENERGY STORAGE LIMITS (μJ). Do I have to match all of those specs? Thanks!

Comment

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=0&ptm=0&fid=0

Would one of those work? The Amperage is only 5.4A. What about Current Saturation and DCR do I have to worry about them. The Minimum order must be 1 I don't want 500 of these things.
                    Last edited by ComputerGeek; 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerGeek View Post
                      Any idea what the 0419 means on mine? !
                      Only a guess but it may be 19th week of 2004 production date.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Would any of those work?

Comment

Can anyone help me out with the last two posts above ^^^^

Comment

Post (look at) back side of card, on some cards (other models), this inductor was omitted, and replaced with something like on the photo attached, and there is a posibility (if caps are not so low esr), that inductor was never there...

If ( missing ?? ) inductor is on 12V, max alowable current of 5.9 A is TOO LOW...

Try to figure out, is this part of memory supply, or core supply (to estimate max. consumption), then use formulas for calculating MAXIMUM current from LOAD current in DC-DC circuits (from 5V input, and from 12V input )...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tmiha71; 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM. Reason: not newer, but never

Comment

It looks like the missing inductor is connected to that solid cap to the right of it. That cap looks to be a 6.3V cap, which would suggest it would handle something like 3.3V or 2.5V (likely) or possibly 5V (unlikely).

In this case, I would believe that 5.4A is plenty of current.

It looks like many in your digikey link would work, the falco datasheet shows 5.4A current and 15mOhms, so something like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...TCT-ND/3060316

should work.

Comment

Working...
                              X