X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Originally posted by dt2rz View Post
    I can not access the menu...
    Was there a known good video signal going into the display at the time?

Comment

Yes. i connected a known good video signal source and also tried without any video source. The result is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dt2rz View Post
        Yes. i connected a known good video signal source and also tried without any video source. The result is the same.
        So, in summary, when this display is plugged into a known good video source with a video signal on it (which has not timed out and blanked) you see the screen light up, then a "no video" message, then it blanks? That suggests the problem is in the video card or a compatibility issue with the video source. Verify that power is getting to the video card and that all of the connectors between it and the other board are fastened properly (not, for instance, offset by one pin vertically or horizontally, if that is possible with these). If there is a second video input (VGA when you were using DVI, or vice versa) try that. If not, try another video cable. Verify that the video signal is one that the monitor can accept (especially the refresh rate). Most Displays will give a "no video" message and shut down like that if they are fed a signal that is outside the range which they can handle.

Repairing the video card, if it is truly blown, might not be easy. Those tend to have big ICs on them and a lot of surface mount components.

Comment

Hi again , thanks for the fast input.

Originally posted by bonney View Post
          Hi change all 10 caps first
          Ok so i replaced the rest of the caps with the same result.

Originally posted by severach View Post
          Flip the inverter upside down and hook the lamps up in reverse order. Does the dim part switch sides? Does the part that was formerly dim appear to light up properly?
          Tryed this aswell , kinda smart and simple , and it didnt switch sides so i guess one lamp is broken ?

Comment

Re solder the legs of the transformers

Comment

Originally posted by bonney View Post
              Re solder the legs of the transformers
              Done. Same result.

Comment

Next step change the fets

Comment

Anyone selling mosfet kit with fuse?

Comment

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...r-ass-make.htm

fuse 4a should do

Comment

I might be having the same problem with the same monitor. When it is turned on the Acer logo flashes on then the screen goes black (I don't see No Signal however). My computer recognizes the monitor via the DVI. Changing rez and refresh does nothing. I am using cables from a second monitor that works fine. Abit of history, the display was having issues when the computer would go into stand-by. When the computer was brought out of stand-by the display would sometimes remain in stand-by. I would have to turn the monitor off and on a few times or reboot the computer. This got progressively worse until it stopped working as previously mentioned. From reading the rest of the posts here I suspect it could be an issue with MOSFETs but I only have basic knowledge of electronics. Are MOSFET's responsible for the clicking sounds in a monitor as it changes from one refresh rate to another? If I had to guess it seems the monitor just doesn't kick in. I have replaced several caps that looked suspect (to be truthful I think they were fine).

Comment

Originally posted by Quazzy View Post
                        I would have to turn the monitor off and on a few times or reboot the computer.

I have replaced several caps that looked suspect (to be truthful I think they were fine).
                        The above sounds like bad caps.

Did you replace all the caps or just some? What caps did you use for replacements? Using general purpose caps are not suitable for a SMPS environment.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Please post some photos of YOUR power board for the following reasons: 1) Acer is notorious for using power supplies from various suppliers fror the same model monitor 2) By looking at your board, trained eyes may spot something you missed 3) photos allow us to point out components for you to test.

Comment

Wow you guys are on the ball with this forum. Thought I would post and check back in a bit to see if I got a response. Here are two pictures I hope will help. I already changed cap C28, C29, CS32, CS36. As you can tell those are the caps that are accessible when the plate is still attached to the heat sink. I didn't take it off until you requested pictures. I was worried about damaging something while prying. It came off easier than I thought it would. Unfortunately I found this site after purchasing a cap kit off the web. It came with KY and NHG caps which are not the brands you sell. Let me know what my next step should be. TIA
                            Attached Files

Comment

I see 13 small caps on your board. Let me guess, the kit came with 12 caps? Did you change the small cap next to the large 450V cap?

Comment

The kit came with 13 caps but not a 3.3uf cap like the little one next to the big 450V 100uF.
                                I got the following caps:
                                one - 470uF - 35V NHG
                                one - 470uF - 35V nichicon
                                two - 470uF - 25V KY (used one)
                                three - 1000uF - 10V KY (used one)
                                one - 470uF - 25V KY
                                three - 33uF - 35V KY (used one)
                                one - 33uF - 50V KY
                                one - 100uF - 35V nichicon

I need to correct my previous post because I didn't replace C29 like I thought I did. I will replace the rest of the caps with what I have if that is the best next step. If I should replace the caps in the list of above with better brands please let me know. Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

The kit came with 13 caps but not a 3.3uf cap like the little one next to the big 450V 100uF.

I will replace the rest of the caps with what I have if that is the best next step. If I should replace the caps in the list of above with better brands please let me know.
                                  Yes, replace the remaining caps. Also, email the ebay seller and tell him/her that you are missing the 3.3uF cap. If they are selling a "kit", it is reasonable to assume you would get all the caps for your board. The 3.3uF cap plays an important role in the startup of the SMPS. It can be bad with no signs of bloating.

After you replace the caps, tell us if the power LED comes on or not.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I got the following caps:
                                    one - 470uF - 35V NHG
                                    one - 470uF - 35V nichicon
                                    two - 470uF - 25V KY (used one)
                                    three - 1000uF - 10V KY (used one)
                                    one - 470uF - 25V KY
                                    three - 33uF - 35V KY (used one)
                                    one - 33uF - 50V KY
                                    one - 100uF - 35V nichicon

I need to correct my previous post because I didn't replace C29 like I thought I did. I will replace the rest of the caps with what I have if that is the best next step. If I should replace the caps in the list of above with better brands please let me know. Thanks for all the help so far.

I believe that the panasonic NHG is the wrong series for this application and what is the series of the nichicon caps? Of greater concern: this person is selling you "USED" caps?!!!!

Comment

Sorry, the caps are not used. Those are the ones I have used on the board already. I didn't get to install the rest of the caps. I think what I will do is install the caps to see if the problem goes away. If it does then I will invest in the proper caps and fix the PSU properly. I have already replaced the monitor but it would be nice to have the spare. If I can get it fixed then there will be a sense of accomplishment to boot.

How do I tell what series a cap is? On the nichicon there is VZ(M), H1034 and 105°C for markings.

Comment

On the nichicon there is VZ(M), H1034 and 105°C for markings.
                                        VZ = series.
                                        (M) = +/- 20% uF
                                        1034 = year 2010 week 34
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hi there an please help.

have the same problem like all of you...acer logo for second than black if i dont turn on-out-on-out....

want to replace the parts now which are responsible for but i have no f+++ing idea of how i get the metal schield from the inverter

well, i just cant get used to use manual power on electronic parts... anyway got it off now.
                                          so thanks, that problem is solved. just wondering which caps are the reason for the shut-on problem.
                                          anyway am just good enough to do what am told about electronic repairs . can someone who solved that shut-on problem please help me

thanks lg c
                                          Last edited by mookee; 12-29-2010, 07:05 AM. Reason: did the trick

Comment

Working...
                                          X