Some doubts I have.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some doubts I have.

I have been checking and Mouser offers half of the price of the other stores. But they charge 20€ of shipping (unless you spend 60€ or more, they "offer" the shipping). And they claim they deliver in 3 days (which isn't that bad for me)

Farnel is the most expensive one and I couldn't get the shipping price yet.

Digikey is the 2nd more expensive unless you buy 50 or more of the same item. at that point they almost beat Mouser. They charge 18€of delivery unless you put an 65€ or more order.

RS is the middle point. They win in the delivery charges (5€). They are (apparently) a really good store to buy small quantities.

Humm...

--- Edit ---

Errm.. Farnel doesn't sell directly to the customers in portugal. They have 2 "representatives".. yet, none of them has an e-store. lol..
    Last edited by PCManiacpt; 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry for being quiet till now, but work didn't help and RS and me are having quite a time because they are having troubles to charge me.

I only got the caps yesterday, they sent them while we resolve this issue.

Now, I was confirming what I have to do and, it came to my attention that some of the caps are bigger than I though, and I don't quite have space for them.

For example, on the LG screen (the attached picture), if you check the 2 left caps, they are both 1000uF - 25v (10x20mm). When choosing the compatible Panasonic FM caps, I selected the EEUFM1E102 ones that are 12,5x20mm. I though that those 2,5 extra mm wouldn't make a difference but it seems that the caps are quite big.

So, now my problem is that, either I get them quite tight to each other on the board (which I think it'll cause heat problems, no?) or I'll have to proper place one of them and bend the other a bit to the side.

Any ideas?

PCManiac
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PCManiacpt; 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Looking at the picture it is quite tight on some - you may find that having put one in you will not get the one next to it to go far down, and you will surely have some height restriction. I would suggest that trying to work to the height, dogleg the legs before you start - It will mean it is a little off the board but if you can do it it will probably be lower than bending it to the side. You will also have to be careful lining it up before you start bending, so that the pins will fit in the correct holes.
        Attached Files
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
          Looking at the picture it is quite tight on some - you may find that having put one in you will not get the one next to it to go far down, and you will surely have some height restriction. I would suggest that trying to work to the height, dogleg the legs before you start - It will mean it is a little off the board but if you can do it it will probably be lower than bending it to the side. You will also have to be careful lining it up before you start bending, so that the pins will fit in the correct holes.
          that's quite an interesting idea.
          I edited my previous post as I forgot to attach the picture.

Comment

I went ahead and, before anyone replied any other idea, just soldered the panasonic cap in the place of the visibly bad cap (that I didn't take a picture before).

That was indeed the problem (apparently) and, since it works, i'll just keep it like that till it goes bad again.

But still, please let me know how would you substitute the 2 at the left side of the power board, as I asked previously.

Attached will be the pics I took after the substitution.
            As you can see on the pics, it looks like it's working and, my kitty approves that same idea.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well done! another saved from the tip.
              You may not realise it but you have been quite lucky and replaceing one cap has fixed it on this occasion - Thought you had two sets to mend?
              Anyway I was going to say that you should consider replacing replacing other caps at least of the same make and series of the one that had gone as next time you may not be so lucky. As caps deteriorate it can have a knockon effect on other components. I believe increased ripple can blow a diode and if that goes with a bang it can take out mosfets which are more expensive and more difficult to replace than
              the caps which as it happens you have already bought. There is a better and probably more accurate tale of what can happen skimping on cap replacement on the forum but cant just find it.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

oh I see.

I will keep that in mind, thank you selldoor. I will replace them all eventually once the things between me and RS gets worked on and I buy some smaller (but equivalent) caps, as I still have the space problem on the screen board and can't exactly use your suggestion on doglegging the cap.

And yes, I had 2 monitors to fix, the second one (the HP) i'll work on it today and will report on later too.

Thanks.

Comment

I just recapped the HP L1740.

After the recap, it looks to be working again, too.
                  On this one I did change all the caps appart from the smaller ones and the biggest one.
                  Now, I need to get a case for it as I didn't bring it home. xD

But yea, success! =)

Thank you all.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great!! good to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                    X