X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Website, CSF, and lots of attacks.

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
    What do you mean by QFT? Quick Format?

This can be a bit tricky. Although I personally don't care much for recovery partitions and images and prefer a clean installation, some people like them very much. When they pay me and they have some pre-installed version of something like Cyberlink and I wipe the entire drive, they might get pretty upset when I give the PC back without Cyberlink. If they want it reinstalled, a lot of times, they might be forced to either purchase it directly or purchase recovery disks....

So, depending on whether Keeney123 wants a clean install or his pre-installed bloatware, I mean software, I think that would determine what way is the best.

Some BIOSes use partitions for system tools, like UEFI type BIOSes. If those partitions are destroyed, those tools won't work.
    I don't think so. I can successfully boot my system without an internal HDD/SSD plugged in and boot to BIOS.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

QFT= quoted for truth
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        I don't think so. I can successfully boot my system without an internal HDD/SSD plugged in and boot to BIOS.
        Yes, you can boot into the BIOS. Let me a bit more clear. I had a customer's Dell I think it was (maybe HP). Anyway, there was a partition on the drive that contained software that could be ran outside of Windows. In the UEFI BIOS, you could start this software. There were programs with mouse support for stuff like memory testing, hard drive testing, factory recovery, etc. If that partition that contained those tools were deleted, if someone went into the BIOS to try and use one of those tools, it'd fail. Do you understand?
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

That's not to say the computer wouldn't still work or that they wouldn't be able to get into the BIOS, just certain tools were no longer available. It's not just UEFI BIOSes either. Some PCs (mainly ones like HP laptops, etc) will have hot keys or a special button you can press if you can't get into your PC. They rely on special partition sometimes. It might be something like F9 on an HP that starts up the recovery partition. If someone deletes that recovery partition, hitting F9 won't do anything. They usually have a special small partition with a bunch of tools on it that work with a larger recovery partition, from my experience.

Comment

Keeney123, I feel that I owe you for one reason or another. Anyway, it sounds like your PC was actually infected and might still be. If you don't mind running some tests, we might be able to figure out if it is or not.

One thing you might want to do first is to download Malwarebytes and run that:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

You probably want the free download. Once you start installing, eventually it will bring up a pop-up window with some check marks. One will say Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Premium. Uncheck that unless you plan on purchasing the premium version.

Once Malwarebytes starts, don't click Scan Now. Wait until it finishes updating. Then, click on Settings. On the left hand side, you'll see a category titled: Detection and Protection. Click that and you should see some check boxes. Click the one that says Scan for rootkits.

After that, click the option that says Scan. It's after Dashboard and before Settings on the top of Malwarebytes. Click on Custom Scan. Then click the big blue button that says CONFIGURE SCAN. Make sure Scan for Rootkits is checked on the left hand side. Also, make sure your drive is checked. You might have more than one drive to pick from. For example, here, we have the C: drive and the D: drive. Our D: drive is the blu-ray burner so there's no sense for us to scan that. If you're not sure, you can check them all. It shouldn't hurt anything. After that, click Scan Now.

Go do something for a while. It can take a while to scan. Once it's done scanning, let us know what it says for Detected Objects:

There's more programs I'll have you run, if you're okay with it, but we should start there.
            I have all that stuff with bit defender. After I did all the security tightening Firefox ran without problems. I went back on internet explorer and it would run OK, the problem with it though is it still did open to the home page that was set. I could open Firefox to any page I wanted. So on the internet explorer it open to something like tech-biz.com. But because I had block it in my security software it did not go to that page. I tried downloading that KB update from Microsoft that corrected the Windows 10 updates and of course the computer just spun. Never was able to get it. Finally I took out my back up hd that I cloned back in July of 2015 and cloned it right over my installed drive. I will let you know how that goes. I still can not get windows updates to work, but now I don't have windows 10 trying to install either.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
              I have all that stuff with bit defender. After I did all the security tightening Firefox ran without problems. I went back on internet explorer and it would run OK, the problem with it though is it still did open to the home page that was set. I could open Firefox to any page I wanted. So on the internet explorer it open to something like tech-biz.com. But because I had block it in my security software it did not go to that page. I tried downloading that KB update from Microsoft that corrected the Windows 10 updates and of course the computer just spun. Never was able to get it. Finally I took out my back up hd that I cloned back in July of 2015 and cloned it right over my installed drive. I will let you know how that goes. I still can not get windows updates to work, but now I don't have windows 10 trying to install either.
              Yeah, tightening down your security might appear to fix the problem, but it's just a workaround. From the sounds of it, you're definitely infected. The big thing is to scan for the rootkits. Most anti-virus programs won't detect them. There's some nasty ones out there. TDS is one of them. If I remember correctly, about every 4 google searches or so, it'll redirect you to some adware type page. I had that on a few customers PCs and it was impossible to remove, even with the free TDSKiller. It did remove it, but the internet didn't work after that, no matter what I did. Reinstalled network drivers, rest the stack, I tried everything. Had to format / reinstall.

Comment

What are you running and what did the PC come with Keeney123? Windows 7?

Comment

What are you running and what did the PC come with Keeney123? Windows 7?
                  It came with windows 7 pro 64 bit. What do you mean what am I running? like something like this.

https://labs.bitdefender.com/project...otkit-remover/
                  Last edited by keeney123; 09-23-2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

It came with windows 7 pro 64 bit. What do you mean what am I running? like something like this.

https://labs.bitdefender.com/project...otkit-remover/
                    No, I meant what operating system are you running, like Windows 10, Windows 7, etc. It came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit....is that's what is still on there? Or did you upgrade to 10? If you did upgrade to 10, do you want to go back to 7 Pro? Thanks.

Comment

No, I meant what operating system are you running, like Windows 10, Windows 7, etc. It came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit....is that's what is still on there? Or did you upgrade to 10? If you did upgrade to 10, do you want to go back to 7 Pro? Thanks.

Yea I still have windows 7 pro on it. When I first got the computer I bought a solid state drive for it. I bought the computer from interconnect a certify Microsoft Refurbisher. The computer is a Lenovo T400 it original had XP. Interconnect put the Widows 7 Pro on it. When I received the solid state drive I cloned the drive with the installed drive I then took out the installed drive and put it on the self. It was this drive I used to clone back the original OS to the solid state so I should be good to go.

Comment

Do you want me to help you do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on that machine? I promised you a disc a long time ago but never got around to it. I can make a custom disc for just your PC that (hopefully) will have all the drivers slipstreamed into it and will pre-active that machine for you.

It wouldn't include any third party software that came with the machine and it won't include all the 7 updates. I never was able to successfully fully update a 7 disc with all the updates. I tried many things. Maybe it was 8 I'm thinking of. I guess we're not allowed to use dism anymore and have to use some sort of Server edition of Windows to properly update the discs. I called Microsoft on this and sure enough, it violates the TOS and this is why with the 8 discs, the product key was rejected. I installed 8, I booted into audit mode, I fully updated it, I sysprepped the machine, captured the image, made a bootable thumb drive with all the updates, tried installing and the product key was rejected every time. No matter what I did. I called them and they said that's illegal now and not allowed. They said using dism to slipstream the updates (the few that can be slipstreamed that way) is illegal as well and now I gotta use the Server 2012 to do it using their Microsoft programs. I think it's something like WSUS or something like that. Pain in the ass.

Comment

UEFI is evil, a payload can be uploaded into the bios.
                          just ask Lenovo victims/customers!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            So this has actually been done?

Viruses can always flash to a regular users BIOS, there's always the risk. I guess with a regular BIOS though, it'd have to be written for just that machine...I've never heard of real world problems though.

UEFI is better than legacy BIOS though because of the hard drive limits and RAM limits and all that jazz. If it's implemented correctly, I think it could be a good thing Stj. You know what would be cool? Customizable UEFI modules. The Linux community could write modules for BIOSes, kinda like those opensource firmware projects for various routers....just instead of routers, it'd be for PCs.

Too many times I find the manufacturers have locked down the BIOS to prevent normal users from messing things up. Boards that have the features generally cost a bit more money because they're made for overclocking or this or that.

I had a friend, Miss Millie. She's since passed away. She an e-machine that was always crashing. Back then, e-machine didn't make their boards. They had Gateway make them and they just used a customized BIOS. The e-machine motherboard had a sticker with the motherboards model number on it. I removed the sticker and it had the Gateway motherboard model underneath! So, I went to Gateway's site, downloaded the Gateway BIOS and flashed it on her e-machine. She said the e-machine never worked better and didn't have anymore instabilities issues.

With the e-machine BIOS, you could set the system clock and do small things like that, but it was very limited. With the Gateway BIOS, I had a ton of options and changed some values, like the voltage going to the sticks of RAM, the frequency of the RAM, etc. I think that's what did the trick.

Comment

Do you want me to help you do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on that machine? I promised you a disc a long time ago but never got around to it. I can make a custom disc for just your PC that (hopefully) will have all the drivers slipstreamed into it and will pre-active that machine for you.

It wouldn't include any third party software that came with the machine and it won't include all the 7 updates. I never was able to successfully fully update a 7 disc with all the updates. I tried many things. Maybe it was 8 I'm thinking of. I guess we're not allowed to use dism anymore and have to use some sort of Server edition of Windows to properly update the discs. I called Microsoft on this and sure enough, it violates the TOS and this is why with the 8 discs, the product key was rejected. I installed 8, I booted into audit mode, I fully updated it, I sysprepped the machine, captured the image, made a bootable thumb drive with all the updates, tried installing and the product key was rejected every time. No matter what I did. I called them and they said that's illegal now and not allowed. They said using dism to slipstream the updates (the few that can be slipstreamed that way) is illegal as well and now I gotta use the Server 2012 to do it using their Microsoft programs. I think it's something like WSUS or something like that. Pain in the ass.
                              The install was not from a disk. I installed from a bootable hard drive. The hard drive has all the drivers and updates, user folders up til July 2015. I do have some third party stuff, but if I get annoyed with it I will just uninstall it. Thanks for the offer, but I find from experience this is the best way to reinstall the OS. Being that it sits on a self it is not exposed to the internet.
                              I do not believe my computer was infected because it operated just fine when not on the internet and I was able to stop the action from happening. I think the infection was out on the other side my router.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                I have Legacy. I found out when I owned a Widows 8 Acer what a problem UEFI is.

Comment

The install was not from a disk. I installed from a bootable hard drive. The hard drive has all the drivers and updates, user folders up til July 2015. I do have some third party stuff, but if I get annoyed with it I will just uninstall it. Thanks for the offer, but I find from experience this is the best way to reinstall the OS. Being that it sits on a self it is not exposed to the internet.
                                  I do not believe my computer was infected because it operated just fine when not on the internet and I was able to stop the action from happening. I think the infection was out on the other side my router.
                                  I think your PC had to be infected. This one customer I had, the symptoms only appeared when they were using google. It was a rootkit. I could run her PC normal like, albeit a little slow, and no pop ups or anything. Anytime I googled something though, about every 4 queries, I'd get redirected to adware. TDSKiller successfully detected the rootkit. If they were able to change your homepage, I'd think they had enough access to do other bad stuff.

When I was trying to find a weakness into a computer I was working on, on another computer, I used metasploit to create a shockwave video file with a craftily created small piece of code. Then I had metasploit setup a webserver. On the client machine, I just connected to the website. The small video played. It looked like a normal video, but when it played, I had the payload download a remote shell and set it up so I could get a command prompt remotely on that machine.

It wasn't anything illegal or anything like that. I was just messing around. I owned both PCs. But a normal user would have never of known they were ever infected. I could have even of hidden the remote shell process from the task manager so no one would have seen the remote shell running.

Comment

I have Legacy. I found out when I owned a Widows 8 Acer what a problem UEFI is.
                                    Legacy BIOS caused some headaches with me for a little bit when I bought a 2.5TB drive. Took me a little to figure out why it wasn't working.

Just curious, what was your problem with the Acer and the UEFI BIOS?

Was it something with that secure boot?

Comment

Legacy BIOS caused some headaches with me for a little bit when I bought a 2.5TB drive. Took me a little to figure out why it wasn't working.

Just curious, what was your problem with the Acer and the UEFI BIOS?

Was it something with that secure boot?
                                      As I remember it prevented things loading on the CD ROM and from being able to connect up to the USB that would load on all other widows platforms. It demanded I put in a HD password, a supervisory password and a user password to get full use of the system. Also, if one did not put in a HD password it froze the password. In order to unfreeze it one had to go through a bunch of steps and then one only had one shot at that. The 320 GB hard drive was broken up in 5 different partitions with 2 of those being over 100 GB. This slowed the Acer down. There was no option for Legacy. I really did not know at the time why would someone want to put a 2.5 TB drive in a netbook or for that matter a laptop as the look up time increases with Hard Drives. I guess now with the newer Solid State drives that is not as big a issue. The initial boot up time was faster, but once loaded it was slower. I wanted a small computer that had the quickness of a larger computer at half the price. The only reason I would ever need a computer over 250 GB would be for storage. Storage is not accessed as often so that drive could be off until I need it to come on line. In this way the computer would not have to consider a large drive in every operation.
                                      Last edited by keeney123; 09-25-2016, 08:00 AM.

Comment

As I remember it prevented things loading on the CD ROM and from being able to connect up to the USB that would load on all other widows platforms. It demanded I put in a HD password, a supervisory password and a user password to get full use of the system. Also, if one did not put in a HD password it froze the password. In order to unfreeze it one had to go through a bunch of steps and then one only had one shot at that. The 320 GB hard drive was broken up in 5 different partitions with 2 of those being over 100 GB. This slowed the Acer down. There was no option for Legacy. I really did not know at the time why would someone want to put a 2.5 TB drive in a netbook or for that matter a laptop as the look up time increases with Hard Drives. I guess now with the newer Solid State drives that is not as big a issue. The initial boot up time was faster, but once loaded it was slower. I wanted a small computer that had the quickness of a larger computer at half the price. The only reason I would ever need a computer over 250 GB would be for storage. Storage is not accessed as often so that drive could be off until I need it to come on line. In this way the computer would not have to consider a large drive in every operation.
                                        We have, I have a computer with what you'd probably consider a lot of storage. One drive is 2.5TB, one drive is 3.0TB, and then I have a couple 2TB drives. Although it seems like a lot of space, believe it or not, I use it up fairly quick like.

With solid state, things are a bit different, right? For example, on a normal hard drive, you want data organized. You defrag the drive so the PC can access it quicker. With solid states, don't you want the data randomly spaced out among the sectors? So the cells don't wear down quick like? Try to make sure every cell or whatever they're called gets written to an equal number of times...maybe someone more knowledgeable with solid states could correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Things are identical with SSDs apart from not requiring to defrag the drive.
                                          They have wear leveling built in to spread the wear across the cells, the data is spread across the drive. It makes no difference to read speed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X