My new (used) Fluke 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new (used) Fluke 87

I recently picked up another meter from a local pawn shop, this one is a Fluke 87. When I saw it I was immediately attracted to it because it had lots of features in one meter that I previously only had over several meters. I also liked the display but I later realized that it washes out really bad when viewed from the top. When viewed straight on and below it is bright and crisp. Although I knew there have been several iterations of the 87 model I was not aware of how old this meter really was, it was actually manufactured in the early nineties.

It had a few other problems like the low current fuse was bad, the "kick stand" was missing and it was dirty. The probes it came with are Flukes but they were (as Dave says) very crusty. I think it cleaned up rather well in the end but you can judge for yourself as I have included some before and after pictures below. I have already made a crude wire kick stand for it but I intend to make something more permanent when time permits.

The one thing I could kick myself for was that in my enthusiasm to rip it apart after getting it home I broke one of the clips that attaches the screen to the PCB. So far it has not affected the meters operation and I have an idea on how to bodge a repair when I have the time to do it.
    Attached Files

Re: My new (used) Fluke 87

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    I also liked the display but I later realized that it washes out really bad when viewed from the top.
    Some of the older original Fluke 80 series suffer from the faded digits due to contamination of the elastometer. Modemhead has documented the cleaning procedure at

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-8x-faded-lcd/

I have cleaned two myself with good results.

I think it cleaned up rather well in the end but you can judge for yourself as I have included some before and after pictures below.
    Pumice hand cleaner works really well to clean up the holster. It almost looks new and all the markings are still on it!!

The fusible resistor (circled in red) seems a bit toasty? Or is that a photo trick? I would measure it to make sure it is around 1 kohm.

Even though it was last calibrated in 1995, it is likely to hold and be within specifications.
    Attached Files
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Pumice hand cleaner works really well to clean up the holster. It almost looks new and all the markings are still on it!!
      I have learned my lesson about the markings and I now use extreme care when I am cleaning around them.

The fusible resistor (circled in red) seems a bit toasty? Or is that a photo trick? I would measure it to make sure it is around 1 kohm.
      I will check that out as soon as I get a chance, but it did not raise any flags when I was looking it over. (Not that means much.)

Even though it was last calibrated in 1995, it is likely to hold and be within specifications.
      I compared it with my Fluke 175 using two AA batteries (~3V) and they both gave me the same reading. I have not yet done any other comparisons but I need to do so.

I will also check out Modemheads blog, I have probably already read that article but it will have a lot more meaning too me now.

Comment

I have a Fluke 87 III - good meter.
        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I recently picked up another meter from a local pawn shop, this one is a Fluke 87.
          Nice find! Looks to be in excellent condition, especially with the clean-up job.

The viewing angle thing is just a property of that LCD. It has the best contrast at a slight downward angle. Somewhere in the fog of my brain I remember reading something about that being a design trade-off, bias voltage vs. minimum operating temperature and other things I don't understand. The III and V generation displays are improved a bit in this respect.

Being new to using an 87, here's something to be aware of. It LOVES to take itself out of auto-ranging mode. For example, if you select Ohms and then enable continuity (beeper) mode, and then go back to Ohms, it will be in 400 ohm range and auto-ranging will be off. It has to be re-enabled by holding the range button for a couple seconds or flipping the dial away and back to Ohms. This happens for a lot of the functions, like Min-Max, Hz, etc. It can lead to some head-scratchers if you forget. Like measuring a 1K resistor with it stuck in 400 ohm range. "Why did this resistor go open-circuit?"

Sorry I don't have a fix for the broken clip. Duct tape?

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
            It can lead to some head-scratchers if you forget.
            Few more things to worry about other than if it holds it calibration. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
              The viewing angle thing is just a property of that LCD. It has the best contrast at a slight downward angle. Somewhere in the fog of my brain I remember reading something about that being a design trade-off, bias voltage vs. minimum operating temperature and other things I don't understand.
              I figured it was something like that, good thing I do not use my meters upside down very often.

Being new to using an 87, here's something to be aware of. It LOVES to take itself out of auto-ranging mode. For example, if you select Ohms and then enable continuity (beeper) mode, and then go back to Ohms, it will be in 400 ohm range and auto-ranging will be off. It has to be re-enabled by holding the range button for a couple seconds or flipping the dial away and back to Ohms. This happens for a lot of the functions, like Min-Max, Hz, etc. It can lead to some head-scratchers if you forget. Like measuring a 1K resistor with it stuck in 400 ohm range. "Why did this resistor go open-circuit?"
              Thanks for the heads up, this type of operation would make me think my meter is defective.

Sorry I don't have a fix for the broken clip. Duct tape?
              I have a repair idea that I am going to try on the clip. If it is successful I will post the result. If it is not successful I should be no worse off than I am now. I just wish I had remembered your warning about these clips from your blog post. When I read it a while back ago it did not apply to me so I did not bother to commit it to memory. They break way too easily IMO.
              Last edited by LDSisHere; 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

One of the ICs has what looks to be a 1994 date on it; as does what appears to be a factory cal sticker (which probably cost the purchaser extra). So whatever version of the Fluke 87 was made then would be what you have. All in all, a very decent handheld DMM.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I think the color in the picture is due to the lighting. It actually looks really nice in person. (I know that sounds strange, but it is one of the best looking resistors I have ever seen.) It measured 1.001K ohms on my Fluke 175.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                  One of the ICs has what looks to be a 1994 date on it; as does what appears to be a factory cal sticker (which probably cost the purchaser extra). So whatever version of the Fluke 87 was made then would be what you have. All in all, a very decent handheld DMM.
                  Good catch on the date code, I did not notice it on the chip until you mentioned it. Since Fluke introduced the 80 series in 1988, it is not near as old as it could be.

Comment

Stupid plastic clips.

I took this meter back apart to attempt to repair the clip I broke the first time and I ended up breaking a second one. At least this time it did not snap completely off but it was close. These clips are way too fragile as I was very careful when I was removing the frame. So I had to repair two clips instead of just one.

The attached pictures show the repair job. I used the trimmings from PCB's that I previously etched for the bracing and CA gel adhesive as a binding agent. I waited between 12 to 24 hours between each step to make sure the glue was cured. I had to make sure to leave enough gap between the bracing and top of the clip so that the meter's board would fit between them. So far the repair is good, I just hope the glue does not let loose.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LDSisHere; 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM. Reason: The pictures did not upload.

Comment

Stupid plastic clips.
                      You can buy an entire new assembly on ebay, but the asking price is around $30 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370869182615

I believe the 87V now uses screws instead of plastic clips.

These clips are way too fragile as I was very careful when I was removing the frame.
                      I suggest leaving the holster on 100% of the time to cushion any falls to protect your repair. When you change batteries or fuses be careful not to drop it as that is when it is most vulnerable.

The attached pictures show the repair job. So far the repair is good, I just hope the glue does not let loose.
                      Maybe modemhead will include this repair in his user submitted section?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You can buy an entire new assembly on ebay, but the asking price is around $30 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370869182615

I believe the 87V now uses screws instead of plastic clips.
                        My cheap (compared to the 87) Fluke 21 from the same era even uses screws. I wonder if the accountants had a hand in the design process? $30 for a replacement is more than I want to pay but if it is you only option to keep the meter working then it is reasonable. This is why I came up with my own option.

I suggest leaving the holster on 100% of the time to cushion any falls to protect your repair. When you change batteries or fuses be careful not to drop it as that is when it is most vulnerable.
                        You bet this meter will be handled gently. I was considering using this meter as my main one, now I may just use it when I need multiple meters or features my 175 does not have.

Maybe modemhead will include this repair in his user submitted section?
                        He is more than welcome to use this on his site, I will send him the original shots if he is interested.

Comment

With glue-type repairs, you never know how it's going to hold up, but yours looks good. The reinforcing material is a great idea.

My cheap (compared to the 87) Fluke 21 from the same era even uses screws. I wonder if the accountants had a hand in the design process?
                          We used to call the value engineers "screw shorteners". In this case I think they went overboard. But Fluke did indeed go back to screws (4 of them) in the 87-V generation.

He is more than welcome to use this on his site, I will send him the original shots if he is interested.
                          Always interested in good repairs! You have my email address. No hurry.

Comment

I broke a clip on my Fluke 88... Packaging tape works well. I also sneaked in a paper shim to tighten up the elastometer connections. Now I need to get an input jack for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro468 View Post
                              Now I need to get an input jack for it now.
                              What do you mean above? Do you need the entire assembly? If yes, there are available on ebay at a hefty $30+ USD.

What is wrong the with current input jack?
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I picked one up from ebay a few year back and still using to this day.

Comment

The current input jack is kaput. Nothing left of the terminals. That is what I get for lending it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro468 View Post
                                    The current input jack is kaput. Nothing left of the terminals. That is what I get for lending it out.
                                    Can you post a picture of the input jack?

Some of us are interested in helping others keep their old multimeters working by coming with with safe, but creative repairs.

PS. If I had to lend out meters, I lend out the ones with no fuses or ones that don't measure current.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The attached pictures show the repair job.
                                      I saw this repair job on ebay for the lcd broken clips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231114471645

Description from seller.

"two of the plastic clips that hold the lcd screen to the circuit board snapped off while I tried to diagnose the problem, I've replaced them with some screws and it seems to be stronger than before. this is shown in the second picture."

PS. At $40 + 5 s/h, it is definitely over-valued. There are probably numerous problems.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Did that guy really just drill through the PCB where he guessed it would be OK? I hope he had X-Ray vision or something.

Comment

Working...
                                        X