Samsung 50" Plasma HPT5044 No Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 50" Plasma HPT5044 No Picture

I would try and get a better one. Single channel, looks out of focus... avoid.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks, guess I'll have to keep looking.

what usually causes a drain-source short for a transistor?

Comment

Put simple running too hot for too long.

When the device gets hot localised hot spots form on the die itself. These hot spots tend to hog all of the current due to their lower resistance. The lower resistance leads to more current through that part, and more heat. More heat makes them have an even lower resistance. You can see the cycle. If unmanaged, it becomes self-destructive and the hot spots become short circuits, which causes the device to fail short circuit.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I see, so the initial problem would be excess current? Thus starting the cycle and eventually short circuiting it.

For the new MOSFET I just replaced in my Ysus, I only turned the TV on and off for only less than seconds and the drain-source easily shorted. Can a nearby shorted resistor be the cause of this?

Comment

Ill try and describe what he replaced- as you are looking at the board from the angle where the component of mine had a hole burned in it- The component itself (the one you pictured) plus a small flat onboard (resistor?) next to it and the right hand FET on the heat sink right above the hole-burned component. There is a kit on ebay to repair and it looks like he did about 1/2 of what that provides. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LJ92-01490A-...item3f123998c4

Comment

Heres a photo, I'm guessing these are the components? Which resistor did he replace, 1 or 3?
              Attached Files

Comment

The one not circled to the right of the fet that is soldered to the motherboard (not the heat sink)

Comment

Oh okay I got it now. Anyway I just bought myself a scope just need a probe for it, you know any place to get a one?

Comment

Just bought a S-1330 Elenco 30 Mhz oscilloscope.

Okay! So how do we do this? =) What I'm I looking for when testing if the Ysus is good or not?
                    Last edited by tieny; 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Have you got an overhead shot of the Y-main?

Comment

Here you go
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just looking for a probe for my scope. Will this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Two-Osci...item484b3b7d96

Or
                          http://www.amazon.com/Oscilloscope-S...ds=scope+probe
                          Last edited by tieny; 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

What is the input rating of the scope? e.g. 250V, will be written on the front near the input connectors.

Comment

it says 400Vpk MAX

Comment

OK, so you can use those probes safely. You should use the 10X setting for plasma sustain boards, but at least switching over to the 1X setting won't damage the scope. Otherwise, if the limit were closer to 300V, I would have recommended a fixed (not switchable) 10X probe.

Comment

Ok I finally received my probe in the mail. Probably getting the buffer boards after xmas.

So how do I test if the Ysus is good or not?

Comment

K, probe here. Set your probe to 10X. Attach the probe hook (supplied in the packet) to the probe end, and attach the hook to one end of the red poly cap, away from the screw. Connect the ground alligator clip to the side of the screw.

Note: This is for testing with buffers installed. Is that what you want to do?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Is there a way to test the Ysus without the buffers installed? The last time I installed all three boards and turned on the TV, the new 88N30W Mosfet I just replaced shorted from drain-source. I just replaced the mosfet again, i don't want to blow it again.

Comment

What are we looking for on the scope for a good ysus?

Comment

See:
                                          http://www.tgohome.com/ServiceManual...&Search=Submit

Page 51 has waveforms.

Comment

Working...
                                          X