Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tannoy Reveal 6D

Hi,

Yep, I think I did need to remove some, can't remember which now as it was a long time ago. The worst bit was getting it off the connectors although yours doesn't seem to have any, which is lucky. I found scraping it off was the only sure way to do it as no chemicals I had would shift it.
    It would be a good idea to change the caps anyway as from what I remember they are all rubbishy Chinese ones.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks for the reply MidiBob!

Sorry for the late reply.

I've solved my issue in the most lazy way possible.

It was the digital board that was causing the LED not to light bright, and it is the board that is most affected by the brown gunk.

So I just did a lazy fix, and disconnected the Digital board as I never use it!

The LED lights brightly again, and the sound is perfect!

I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to clean that digital board, just really happy my Monitor is back to life!

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

It's a shame the lifetime of these monitors are let down by the use of that gunk. It's not as if it isn't well known that this happens, why they couldn't have just used silicone!!

Comment

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say the brown goop's (way) cheaper than proper (non-acidic) RTV / silicone...
          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Could someone please kindly ask a moderator to "update" the title of this thread to "Tannoy Reveal 6D / Precision 6D"?

I finally took hold of a pair of Precision 6D's i grabbed off ebay the other week. Same cabinet & electroncs as the Reveal 6D, just with a coax woofer / tweeter. To my surprise, it turns out this latter couple actually has an additional passive(!) crossover inside the woofer enclosure.

Seller said one's fine, but the other one only sometimes chirps or something, after several power cycles. In the words of Youtube's AvE, ye shall follow the teaching of our patron saint of teardowns, Dave Jones (EEVblog) and "don't turn it on - take it apaaaaaaa't!..", and so i did.

Further updates coming later
            Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

All i've got to report is that the 120 ohm resistor ahead of the 7815 had failed open. For the time being, i tacked on a series pair of 68+56ohm, and she's back to life

This one was absolutely DRENCHED in that crap brown glue...

I'll see where i can get some 7-10W resistors to replace both, in both speakers, for peace of mind. One of these days...

Oh yeah, that passive crossover thing - even though i could see "W+ / W- / T+ / T-" on the pcb, that was "only" for the coax tweeter and the "supertweeter" up top.
              Real stubborn screws, so i couldn't be bothered to remove the pcb to see exactly how the LCR filter was hooked up.
              The coax tweeter goes through a huge 6.8uF film cap, and the "supertweeter" goes through the rest.
              My hunch is, the signal to the ST goes through the other film cap (0.68uF, if memory serves), and that inductor might be going to ground, to form a 2nd order high-pass, and maybe some padding with the resistor(?).
              Last edited by Khron; 06-28-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I'd like to see some pics when you have a moment.

Those 120 Ohm standup ceramic resistors are a pain to source. I think the originals were 5W rated but the only place I could get them from was the USA via Farnell and the cost for one or two was prohibitive.

Comment

I've found some 10W ones on ebay from Germany, and i think i'll order both 120R ones and 220R ones, one of these days. I'll snap some photos when i crack'em open again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hochlast-W...Lmh73eE2N5nygQ

Yeah, they're axial, but i'll just bend one leg back down around the body, maybe tack on an extra piece of resistor leg (like what i'd need to chop off the other end), and that's that

And maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe, if i'm in the mood to "chisel" through some of the glue, i might even recap'em (small caps at least), but we'll see...

Currently waiting for some news from Lockwood Audio, about replacement supertweeters - one of them was well "caved in".

The thing is, when i found the listing for these Precisions on ebay, and after reading the description of the issue the dud speaker had, i quickly googled for some photos of the rear of the Reveal 6D's, because i remembered this thread. And as suspected, the backs looked identical, so i figured, what're the odds they just used the same electronics, just different drivers? And my hunch turned out to be correct

EDIT: At least for now, you'll have to settle for an external shot (only)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Khron; 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I've just started moving today - "fun"...

Either way, the 10W resistors arrived today, so after finishing two hauling trips, and dinner, i decided i had earned some "me-time", and got to work on re-res-ing ( ) and recapping these Precision 6D's.

First speaker (blue Su'Scon bulk filter caps) - first three pics are "before", the rest are "after".

Second speaker (black SamXon's, last two pics attached) - only two "after" pics. This was the one with more brown crap slathered on it, as can be seen on the big caps.

I didn't bother with replacing the two little electrolytics on the filter board (couldn't be arsed - it's been a LONG day), or the big caps (didn't have any 50-63v snap-ins).

Going with the component designations on the schematic in this thread:
                    - C22, C23 = Panasonic FR 47u/63v
                    - C15, C16 = Panasonic FR 100u/63v
                    - C11, C12, C1, C6 = Panasonic NHG 47u/63v
                    - C17, C18, C21 = Panasonic FR 18u/63v

Plus upping the dropping resistor to 10W ones. Some 20AWG(?) wire, some heatshrink, and that's that

Testing will come... more towards the weekend, if not even next week - i'll have to see when this whole moving debacle concludes
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Khron; 07-06-2016, 04:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the last two photos :D

Comment

Wow, they really went to town on that gunk!

I'm wondering how that heatshrink will hold up over time. From memory those resistors ran pretty warm.

Comment

That strip on the end was more for a bit of mechanical support for the "leg extension" than anything else.

Since the acoustic enclosure is separate from the electronics, i WAS thinking of (someday) maybe drilling a couple holes in the metal backplate and tying the two resistors to it with some hefty wire or something.

... But perhaps some other day

PS: I was quite serious about the thread title "update" - who knows how many other ailing Precisions are out there?
                        Last edited by Khron; 07-07-2016, 02:59 AM.

Comment

For the failing resistors probably quite a few, with the gunk I expect eventually all of them!!

Comment

On the other hand, without this forum / thread, i might not have been so confident in grabbing this pair. Although i probably would've snapped them up anyway, but this gave me the extra confidence in a near-certain success

Comment

UPDATE: Happy to say the Precisions work as well as could be hoped Considering i won't be gunning them 24/7, i quite hope the LM3886's won't mind the heatsinks being horizontal, though...

They at least "feel" like they reach lower down in the bass than my Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 4P's, with a wee bit more "sparkle" up top, and less midrange (~4KHz) shouty-ness / harshness.

Thanks a whole bunch for this thread, midibob

Comment

My pleasure. It's nice to know it's helped folks.

Comment

Hello all. I've just joined, to say thanks for the posts, pics and the schematics and to share the repair my son and I have completed with our Tannoy Reveal 6D studio monitors. I have pics to post, which will be in the next post. Please stand by. :-)

Comment

As mentioned above, my son and I have repaired our Tannoy Reveal 6D studio monitors. The job became easier once we found the schematics linked above in this thread. Thanks for those!

Background: In 2008 I purchased a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6Ds for mixing/mastering in our home studio and a pair of Tannoy Reveal 8Ds for listening to the results in our family room. Both pairs have had faults. A few years ago I pulled a working digital card out of one of the 8Ds and installed it into one of the 6Ds (they're the same), to keep that pair working. At the moment the other 8D has a fault in the analog signal path - I'll get to that one day.

The latest problem with the 6Ds was almost complete loss of main driver output in one of the monitors. Actions taken in attempting repair were:

- swapping main drivers between the two 6Ds to check performance. The driver was OK. Pulling the drivers out of the cabinets is tricky. I used a heavy duty paperclip with a right angle tip about 3mm long, with a chisel point made with a Dremel, to insert behind the speaker surround inside each screw hole, to gradually ease the driver out. The rear surface of the driver's magnet housing is goop-glued to a cross brace inside the cabinet. It doesn't just fall out. Prising with a screwdriver would damage the front surface of the cabinet and the plastic speaker surround, so progressively pulling with the bent wire was safe and eventually worked. No damage done.

- Inside we eventually found that the white 120 ohm resistor on the power board had cracked solder joints. Wiggling it lifted a track from the board; a result of heat damage. We reinstalled the resistor using 15mm lengths of paperclip to move it away from the board. Unfortunately this first repair did not make the music come back.

- Next we found what looked like corrosion under the chassis ground screw, with the lead coming from the analog input connector. In trying to disassemble that we found that it had no effect. The screw ended up stripped, so we made a new ground connection, seen in the pics.

- My son and I watched this video by Billm and made the probe pictured below with an old guitar cable. With this and my son's old Roland amp we hunted around and discovered that while the low frequency audio was making it off the filter board to pin 3 on connector 1 of the power board, it was significantly attenuated at input pin 10 of the low frequency amplifier chip, with very low output at pin 3 of the chip. We checked resistor 9, the only component between the two points and it was OK at 510 ohms. By holding the board in the sunlight every which way and looking closely at the track coming from pin 3 we saw that it was corroded, probably from the goop applied to stop the connector from moving. We tried a quick jumper cable and the tunes came back! The jumper cable is now properly soldered in place, between pin 3 of connector 1 and the soldered junction of resistors 9 and 13. I'm listening to the Eagles greatest hits now - us dudes born in the sixties are allowed to do that.

Thank you to TJC on this thread for his Reveal 6D repair site we found before this thread, and his link there to the amplifier chip data.

Now let's see if I can post some pics.

Here's the audio probe. We played a familiar song into the analog input and traced high and low frequencies on the filter board. The highs go to pin 5 of connector 4 on the filter board. The lows go to pin 3.

The next two pics show the jumper cable that replaces the dodgy track from pin 3 of connector 1 on the power board to the junction of resistors 9 and 13.

Here's the fix to the 120 ohm resistor.

Here's the re-routed ground from the analog input jack.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi folks.

Does anyone have the schematic for the digital board in these Tannoy Reveal 6D and 8D studio monitors? As mentioned above, I found the schematics for the power board and the pre-amp/filter board, at post 28 of this thread. Excellent.

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Regards.

Comment

As far as i recall, it's no real big deal.

3.3v regulator, an opamp (or two?), S/PDIF transceiver and the DAC.

Is it giving you trouble as well?

Comment

Hi Khron.

Yes, the digital board in one of my 8Ds has been out of commission for a couple of years. I fired the monitor up this afternoon and got a loud buzz, so switched off quickly. Probing so far reveals nothing unusual except that resistance through the speaker connectors is inconsistent. 4 ohms for the tweeter, but 9.2 ohms for the driver. I would having thought that should be 4 ohms as well. I'll swap that speaker to the good monitor and test it. Any risk to the circuit in the good monitor in running this test?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X