Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xfx 9800 gt

Hi folks, first time poster.

I have a XFX 9800 GT (PV-T98G-YDLU) that refuses to get past POST any more. There is no visible damage to anything. Based on other posts about XFX products, I'm guessing there might be some bad caps.

Here are the caps:

3x "A 84E" 1500/2.5v silver/blue
    1x "A 83X" 1200/4v silver/blue
    1x "A 83H" 330/16v silver/blue
    1x "8N2 jFK." 1500 silver/black - this cap has very fine lines on the top, possible damage?
    1x "8D2 CFK." 470 silver/black
    1x "FJ" 500/6.3v black ("82IIIGW" also in very small print)
    1x "748 SVP" 180/16 silver/purple
    1x" 8 3 200 25a" silver/black

Are any of these know to be bad?

Thanks!

Re: Xfx 9800 gt

Hello and welcome to the forum.

From your description, I'd make these educated guesses...

The silver blue with the "A" are possibly United Chemi-con PSA polymer capacitors.
    The black/silver are likely Panasonic FK.
    The black FJ is likely Panasonic FJ.
    The silver/purple SVP is likely Sanyo SVP polymer.
    The last silver/black one...can't make a guess with the information provided.

Panasonic FK are electrolytic capacitors, so the lines you are seeing could be vent lines. These vents are designed to open in case of failure to avoid the capacitor building up too much pressure and exploding.

All of the caps I could identify with the information provided are known to be reliable. That said, if you can get some photos of the card, it would be much easier to identify. My guesses may be incorrect, as the markings alone aren't enough information to make a definitive identification.

XFX has a lifetime warranty on that model card - would sending it into XFX for warranty service be an option?

Comment

I put in a ticket on it with XFX, but I'd like to cover my bases in case I can't get it replaced.

I'll get a picture of the card soon.

Comment

I've the same problem! I've the same card and when I connect the 6 pin connector and power on the power supply shutdown instantly (maybe graphic card shorted?). I found and replace the 1500uF 6.3 blowed up cap but still have the problem.

Comment

I found also the 1500 jFK 8N2 silver/black cap with a little distortion on the top, but my question is I can replace it with a common cap with the same value? (what means 8N2?) Thanks.

Comment

Here are the readings from some components of my card (see pic1.JPG)
            06N03LA (Red Square 1)
            Black probe / Red probe
            1-2: 622
            2-1: 668
            2-3: 0 (continuity)
            3-2: 0 (continuity)
            1-3: 622

09N03LA (Red Square 2)
            Black probe / Red probe
            2-1: 1 (infinite resistance)

09N03LA (Red Square 3)
            Black probe / Red probe
            1-2: 0 (continuity)
            2-1: 0 (continuity)
            1-3: 0 (continuity)
            SHORTED???

06N03LA (Red Square 4)
            Black probe / Red probe
            2-1: 668

D452 (Red Square 5)
            Black probe / Red probe
            1-2: 1
            2-1: 1
            2-3: 467
            3-2: 1500
            1-3: 624

0472(Red Square 6)
            Black probe / Red probe
            1-2: 652
            2-1: 1
            1-3: 590

0472(Red Square 7)
            Replaced, was blowed, but still shorted the card. I see this issue when I connect the 6-pin power supply, the mother won't power on.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guti904 View Post
              09N03LA (Red Square 3)
              Black probe / Red probe
              1-2: 0 (continuity)
              2-1: 0 (continuity)
              1-3: 0 (continuity)
              SHORTED???
              Looks like it may be. Remove from video card and test it again. If the readings are the same or you found the problem.

Comment

Thanks momaka, do you know a spare code for this fet? Thanks

Comment

Googling 09N03, I get a 25V MOSFET capable of 50A (continuous) and 240A (pulsed)... i.e. this:
                  http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...JIT/09N03.html

Comment

I found two 09N03LA in a damaged Gigabythe Motherboard! Unsolder it and put in the graphic card. I noticed one leg of the mosfet left with a little layer of the board that was the contact...so... my question is, where it go? I don't see any track to another component...the same happens with all other transistors, if I turn the card I see In the same position another equal transistor but I don't know if they're related...

Any sugestion? I don't want to power on the graphic card without checking this...

Thanks.

Comment

Take a picture mate. There doesn't need to be a trace visibly leading to it for it to be relevant in some way (may well be multilayered PCB)
                      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

thanks spleenharvester, I power on the graphic card and worked, post screen appears but only for a 2 or 3 minutes, then suddenly power off. I tried to power on again and graphic card is shorted again.. I check the new 09N03LA and it's shorted as the original transistor! Another component is shorting the transistor, any idea to check?

Comment

Sorry, I have a correction... I made a mistake and unsolder the botton transistor 09N03LA instead the damaged.. then I had to resolder both transistors. Now, the shorted transistor is not the same before, is the number 2 (see pic) instead number 3 replaced.

Comment

I'm a idiot! I replaced correctly 09N06LA (see pic, red square number 3) but below I put a 06N03LA instead the another 09N06LA! Maybe they shorted because is smaller than 09N06LA? I'm going to unsolder it and put again the 09N06LA, I hope this work, it's my last transistor! If anybody can help me before power on the card, I'll thank you.

Comment

See red square number 3, leg 1... what's the destination of this leg?? The PCB layer lift just where the leg was solder so, I don't have any contact there... anyone can help me?

Comment

I resolder the 09N03LA mosfet and the graphic card comes alive again, but only for 3 hours... then power off. I want to know (see new pic) the destination of the legs 1 and 2, the contact of leg1 dissapear and I don't know where to solder it. In the opposite side of the graphic card, in the same place of each mosfet there's another equal mosfet. Could be each opposite pair connected?? Anyone can tell me what another component I must to check that may be causing the mosfet burn?? Thanks
                                Attached Files

Comment

A friend suggest me to change all transistors 09N03LA and all 06N03LA because maybe they are not really good and are the cause of shorting the first mosfets... and could be the mosfets working in paralell with the mosfets of the another side of the board?? Anyone can help me?

another thing, I found a IRFZ44N, can be a spare to 09N03LA? (25V-50A)

Can I change all 06N03LA with the same spare of 09N03LA?? (I see 06N03LA datasheet and they are very similars)

Comment

Originally posted by Guti904 View Post
                                    In the opposite side of the graphic card, in the same place of each mosfet there's another equal mosfet. Could be each opposite pair connected??
                                    Please post more pictures of both sides of the video card. I understand what you are describing but I still would like to see what the video card looks like. Make them so that your camera is positioned straight above the video card and not angled.

Originally posted by Guti904
                                    Can I change all 06N03LA with the same spare of 09N03LA??
                                    I can't promise it will work for sure, but I have done similar MOSFET substitutions in a few video cards myself, and they did work. So most likely the 09N03 will work in place of the 06N03.

Comment

thanks momaka, and what about the missing tracks? The track where each leg is solder dissapear... where I can't solder the transistor If one leg is missing?? I'll post pics tomorrow

Comment

Can you do a very close up picture of the end of the transistor where the pad has lifted.

I have looked at a really clear pic on another post and there does not seem to be any surface traces.

When you are doing the pics try holding the board up with a very bright light or the sun behind it and see if any traces show through and take a pic.
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X