She dun blowed up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She dun blowed up!

Unable to determine if it was the heat stressed plastic to blame, or the shop air compressor... I wasn't the one manning the compressor at the time.

Ludicrous gibs!

Re: She dun blowed up!

I have never used a compressor to clean electronics out. Of course the Navy instilled that in me. Working on aircraft, they made you vaccumn it as blowing it just moves it somewhere else (where you can't see it). I know a computer isn't a matter of life if something gets blowedd under the board and shorts out, but I have always vaccumned the computers and all other electronics I work on. Amazing how much and often smokers need their stuff cleaned. The tar is sticky and the dust sticks to it. I use a regular house vaccumn with attachments that have little brushes and extension to get into small places. Then I wipe the fan blades off with cuetips and denatured alcohol.

Comment

This is the first time I've ever seen one of these come apart like this, and I don't even know that it was related to using the compressor. I'll continue to blow my PCs out with 60 PSI.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

projectiles!! That had to make a nice racket!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

reminds me of a jet after a bird strike...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have never seen one blow apart with an air compressor and I do this everyday for a living... The only thing I could think of is if the plastic was very very old and brittle Fun to look at though

Comment

At first I thought maybe the plastic was old and brittle, and then a cockroach found its way into the fan, and everything shattered, but I found no solid non-fan material anywhere in the PSU. It shall remain a mystery.
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Compressed air works a lot better than vacuum. I'd only use a vacuum if the "outside" was unavailable to redistribute the dust in.

New computer service people blow fans up all the time.
                sig files are for morons

Comment

Ouch. The only time I've seen that happen was to a normal fan (not a hamster wheel one) when I was testing it out near a window and it sucked up the curtains.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I was cleaning about 30 or so computers with these fans about 3 weeks ago. Used 50-80 PSI and none blew up like that. Interesting...

Does the motor still run?

Comment

my guess would be it got brittle and busted one blade, which took out another, which snowballed into total fan failure.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                      X