Geforce GTX 460 vs AMD 790x issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geforce GTX 460 vs AMD 790x issue

I read somewhere that there are compatibility issues between modern nVidia GPUs and certain chipsets. I think the 790x is one of them, because I'm having constant crashes since installing this card. It's a nice Gigabyte Ultra Durable series card too.

I'm pretty bummed that I had to go back to the GT240. Waiting to hear back from Gigabyte on the issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: Geforce GTX 460 vs AMD 790x issue

Did you try updating the 790x drivers?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Did you try updating the 790x drivers?
      There hasn't been new drivers in a long time for this chipset.

I'm probably going to RMA the card, but I don't know what to get as a replacement. I remember why I quit playing PC games years ago now. Video card hell!

Comment

That's not true. Chipset drivers are updated all the time. Here you go:

Northbridge/Southbridge for Windows XP (Released yesterday)

If you use Vista or 7, go here. Make sure to click on the optional download tab and then download the "Southbridge Driver" (Which also includes Northbridge drivers).

If you're using XP, make sure to also get the AMD Processor Driver. For Vista or 7 you do not need this.

Stay away from ATI videocards though. If you're having problems with this nVidia card, you'd be in for a real treat with ATI's videocard drivers. They are absolutely horrid.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

That's not true. Chipset drivers are updated all the time. Here you go:

Northbridge/Southbridge for Windows XP (Released yesterday)

If you use Vista or 7, go here. Make sure to click on the optional download tab and then download the "Southbridge Driver" (Which also includes Northbridge drivers).

If you're using XP, make sure to also get the AMD Processor Driver. For Vista or 7 you do not need this.

Stay away from ATI videocards though. If you're having problems with this nVidia card, you'd be in for a real treat with ATI's videocard drivers. They are absolutely horrid.

The 790x is not listed in the supported devices for that driver. Only Radeon devices. In fact, I can't find any drivers for the 790x on AMD's sites. Maybe they just don't list it? Maybe it will still work.

The current driver on Gigabyte's page for my board is from 2009. Version 8.6.4.1. Pretty darn old.

Reading through the reviews for various GTX 460 cards has not been encouraging. Lots of people having the same issue. And it looks like I'll lose $80 if I want a refund on the card, due to the game coupon and the restocking fee. I already got an RMA, but I might play with it over the weekend to see if I can get it working.

Edit: Using Win7 64bit.
          Last edited by Maxxarcade; 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

You are gravely mistaken!

790X is most definitely supported with the southbridge driver. You're reading the release notes for the Radeon driver, not the chipset.

Comment

You are gravely mistaken!

790X is most definitely supported with the southbridge driver. You're reading the release notes for the Radeon driver, not the chipset.
              I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. I'm not keeping my hopes up that it will fix the problem though. But if it does, you'll be able to see my grin for miles

Comment

I'm 99% sure it is a driver issue. Don't waste your resources RMAing the card.

Comment

I'm 99% sure it is a driver issue. Don't waste your resources RMAing the card.
                  I'll post my results tonight.

I called AMD, and they said those drivers aren't for the 790x, and that they don't provide them... WTF. I'm still going to try it.

Another option I have, is to get the drivers for a Gigabyte AMD 8xx board, that are a bit newer. Might be better than nothing.

I did install the card into my OC'd Pentium E5500 system for further testing, but haven't had time to try it out yet. It doesn't push the card much anyhow compared to the Phenom II. In fact, I only got an additional 8FPS in GTA4 vs. the 9600 GSO that was in there. Need more CPU I guess.

Comment

Well, no luck getting it to work on the 790x. It will run for a bit, then the monitor loses signal for a minute. If it comes back to the desktop, it says the driver has stopped working and recovered. Sometimes it doesn't come back, and I have to reset the PC.

I tried 3 different chipset drivers, and 3 different graphics drivers.

So far it seems to be running fine in the E5500 system. Not very encouraging, because I can't afford to replace my motherboard and RAM. Though The money I would lose trying to get a refund on the card would be half the cost of a new motherboard anyhow.

If I decide to switch to an Intel board, I'd also need a new CPU comparable to the Phenom II X4 955, which wouldn't be cheap.

Not sure what to do at this point :-(

Comment

The card has been working fine for a couple hours now on the E5500 system. I installed my old Radeon HD 3850 back into my main PC, and everything is working again. Even my Powerdirector 8 stopped crashing on startup.

I think I'll just RMA the 460 and get a high-end ATI for my main PC. Newer Geforce cards apparently just do not agree with the 700 series AMD boards! I came across lots of threads in forums with people having similar issues.

Comment

That's odd!

The Radeon 6950 is the rough equivalent to the GTX 460. AMD has been doing great things with drivers in the last year or so....for once they actually work! Be sure to download the latest Catalyst driver as the one on the CD is likely quite old.

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy View Post
                          That's odd!

The Radeon 6950 is the rough equivalent to the GTX 460. AMD has been doing great things with drivers in the last year or so....for once they actually work! Be sure to download the latest Catalyst driver as the one on the CD is likely quite old.
                          i don't think so... the 6950 is actually weaker than the 5950 in terms of strength... but it uses a LOT less power. i think that was what AMD was goin for this time, energy-efficiency

Comment

Good luck with the new ATI card. The ATI drivers are a nightmare right now. Go to the AMD forums and you'll see.

Comment

I'm having no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X