This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Almost all 20'' displays were initially 4:3, than wide 16:10 came. All 15'' I know are 4:3, on the other hand all 17-19'' are 5:4 (and than wide 16:10).
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Just bought a small lot of supposedly non working parts for 20€ :

- P8H61LE in its box with the I/O shield and drivers CD, no visual damage or bent pins
      - Acer Boxer DA078L (AM2, 8200mGPU)
      - Acer X1301 case from which the DA078L is from (I've been looking for on of these Acer case for a long time as I have a working power supply and motherboard for these)
      - Intel D2500NH (Atom N2500/DDR3)
      - HP s3305.fr, missing CPU/HDD/optical drive
      - Radeon HD5450 1Go passive !
      - obsolete analog TV card
      - A box for a Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H with the drivers CD and manual

And the best thing, a 750W power supply, but not a L&C, Deer or Solytech POS, a Dell H750P-00 But it has a weird wiring, it's from a Dell Precision 690 or something. So if it works, I'll either change the wiring or sell it. I can see some Chemi Cons in there
      Same as this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...-/400283821152

Comment

how much was postage on all that!

Comment

Nothing :P Luckily, the seller was coming today to my town so we made the deal at the car park of the train station.

Comment

So after testing most of the stuff :
            - P8H61 : no sign of life, no fan spinning and PSU not turning on, power led on, but I don't have a CPU or RAM
            - D2500HN : works
            - Acer DA087L : works perfectly after a reflow of the chipset (nVidia 8200mGPU)
            - HP s3305 : works perfectly after a reflow of the chipset (nVidia MCP73)
            - HD5450 : no sign of life

I haven't tested the Dello/Hipro PSU yet but I'll modify the cabling first as it's not usable as is with anything I have.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about 5:4. Can you PM me please about the details, how much would you want for one 17" or 19" lcd screen (price+shipping cost), and how much can you ship them at one time?
              Last edited by edgars_ab; 11-13-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Sniped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151467384230...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That ought to give my old D630 a little more kick. It currently has a T7700, which isn't bad... but heck, my paycheck came in, and with the used going rate somewhere in the ballpark of $40, $28 shipped isn't too shabby.

Sure beats a 9500 at $100 a pop... for over 50% less cost, I'll sacrifice 100Mhz.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Those higher end Core 2 Duo and Quad are still expensive, making an upgrade rarely interesting unless you get them for a bargain. The desktop Q9550 and similar sell for the same price as modern i7 4xxx...

Comment

I think we can load a van with maybe 50-100 pieces?

I expect you are able to refurbish them? Because price of my time is probably higher than yours so it woudl be better. Than it may be around 10-15 USD a piece for TN and more for PVA/MVA displays. I can also supply you with original Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors for that purpose.

Will ask my former supplier, he is not in the business so much these days but when he was, he threw away tens of 15-17'' displays I had no use for.
                    Last edited by Behemot; 11-14-2014, 06:27 AM.
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

The mobile Core 2 chips are still a bit expensive as well. I kind of wish I had kept the T9800 out of my Latitude E6400 as I'm sure I could find something to throw it into. The DDR2 hasn't fallen cheap enough to be worth buying new yet either imo.

At the same time, as a complete system none of the Core 2 systems like to sell here. You can throw an Optiplex 380 up with a 2.93 GHz C2D, 4 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, keyboard, mouse, 17" LCD, etc for $20 and even that won't sell.

Comment

OK, can still get the displays, as much as a truck. But there would be some need for advance payment cause nobody here wants to end with a van full of stuff which is very difficult to sell HERE. More through PM.

Comment

HP T5545, no power cord, no idea if it works. Shouldn't be too hard to dig up a 12V 5A cord though even if I have to hack a new end onto it.

Not in bad shape either, fairly clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                            You can throw an Optiplex 380 up with a 2.93 GHz C2D, 4 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, keyboard, mouse, 17" LCD, etc for $20 and even that won't sell.
                            For $20, the above system can run any lightweight linux OS with blazing speed. I definitely would buy.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Welp, time for one of us to move to the other CA. At least the power is the same between us.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                ...it's one of those retro beige cases that I like.
                                Hehe, I like those too for some reason. Maybe because it's just non-existent today. Everywhere I look, I see black and silver cases (well, mostly black). Plus, beige matches my CRT monitors and old keyboards.

Originally posted by Behemot
                                But anyway, even here the demand is quite low. I got several good S-PVA displays with fancy stuff like repro or USB hub, pivot OFC. Nto being able to sell it for 45 bucks…everybody wants wide (even if that is crap for anythign than watching movies!), they are sold within a week usually, but not old 5:4.
                                That's a shame, though not very hard to believe. On my local Craigslist, it's similar. You can easily find used working LCD monitors for $5-$10. Occasionally a few free ones as well.
                                Perosnally, I'll take a 5:4 19" LCD any day over 19" widescreen. The low vertical resolution of 16:10 and 16:9 makes them horrible for everyday computer use. Have to scroll up/down all the time.
                                Last edited by momaka; 11-14-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Well, one advantage of black case it cannot go yellow right

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                                    The mobile Core 2 chips are still a bit expensive as well. I kind of wish I had kept the T9800 out of my Latitude E6400 as I'm sure I could find something to throw it into. The DDR2 hasn't fallen cheap enough to be worth buying new yet either imo.

At the same time, as a complete system none of the Core 2 systems like to sell here. You can throw an Optiplex 380 up with a 2.93 GHz C2D, 4 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive, keyboard, mouse, 17" LCD, etc for $20 and even that won't sell.
                                    I'd give $20 for that... instant sell around here. But then I'm in poor f*ck land... where nobody throws that stuff out it seems...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      For $20, the above system can run any lightweight linux OS with blazing speed. I definitely would buy.
                                      It will run windows 7 or Hate quite happily too. I can still get over $200 for such a PC (albeit with a slightly larger HDD than 160GB).
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        Sniped:
                                        Watch out! Seller with 0 feedback is always a bit of a gamble. I learned the hard way. With eBay money back guarantee, though, you probably won't have a problem getting a refund even if something happened.

Originally posted by SuperDuty
                                        he desktop Q9550 and similar sell for the same price as modern i7 4xxx...
                                        Unless you get a socket 771 Xeon equivalent of that and mod your motherboard and CPU with a 771 to 775 adapter .

Then you can get a high end C2D or C2Q performance for 1/3 of the price.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

They go purple, though .
                                          Find yourself a nice old Dell case from the early 2000's and you will see . The ones that sat close to a sunny window look terrible.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 11-14-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X