• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PCI (Not PCI-E) vs AGP

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
    BONEZ, we're you drinking last night?
    Why no, were you?

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
    I can't see any comment on "PCI-X", I wrote specifically PCI/PCI64.
    There is no such animal as PCI64.
    It is slang for PCI-X which is the correct term IAW the PCI specs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...64&redirect=no

PCI-X can run anywhere from 33MHz to 533MHz depending on the board and chipset.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Per Hansson speaks my words - I even think that PCI-E 2.0 has not been enough for high-end cards, though still haven't seen in real.
      Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        Why no, were you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...64&redirect=no

PCI-X can run anywhere from 33MHz to 533MHz depending on the board and chipset.
        There is, BONEZ, but Wikipedia has the disambiguation page set wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

Btw, on the same page you linked to, there is a description of conventional PCI64. at least take the time to read your page if you are going to link to it.

there is a straight 64-bit version of PCI, not as fast as PCI-X but can operate 64bits at 66mhz.
        Last edited by toastygoodness; 11-27-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
          Some people opt for 64MB through 256MB PCI cards in preference to the 4MB ATI-Rage onboard AGP video on server boards.

When I wkipedia this I find that 4xAGP has a throughput of 1066Mbs, 2XAGP is 533Mbs vs 133Mbs for PCI cards. So it would seem pointless to use the PCI card.

I have a 54MB PCI card and it seems marginally faster than the Rage Onboard, but perhaps it's just wisful thinking. I see people paying big bucks for 256MB PCI video cards. Are they deluded?
          Server boards are not made for high end graphics (servers are for serving not CAD, Gaming, Video Editing etc). The onboard (normally it's PCI not AGP) ATI-Rage is fine. Some server boards had a AGP slot if you wanted faster. You could use a PCI card if you needed a slight upgrade (for texture memory) over the onboard PCI. Or you could go with a 64 bit PCI-X video card (which is damn hard to find now).

Most cases if the onboard video isn't enough to do what you want to do with the server board you are not using the server board for what it is intended for and should look at a new motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness View Post
            There is, BONEZ, but Wikipedia has the disambiguation page set wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

Btw, on the same page you linked to, there is a description of conventional PCI64. at least take the time to read your page if you are going to link to it.

there is a straight 64-bit version of PCI, not as fast as PCI-X but can operate 64bits at 66mhz.
            There is nothing in the page I linked to OR the page you linked to called PCI64.
            Short or a model number for a PCI-X riser card you won't find any such thing with google either.

I stand by what I said.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
              Server boards are not made for high end graphics (servers are for serving not CAD, Gaming, Video Editing etc). The onboard (normally it's PCI not AGP) ATI-Rage is fine. Some server boards had a AGP slot if you wanted faster. You could use a PCI card if you needed a slight upgrade (for texture memory) over the onboard PCI. Or you could go with a 64 bit PCI-X video card (which is damn hard to find now).

Most cases if the onboard video isn't enough to do what you want to do with the server board you are not using the server board for what it is intended for and should look at a new motherboard.
              There were some higher end [for their day] video cards made for PCI-X slots to fill the niche where a server board is used as a graphics workstation.
              They are kind if rare as PCI-E took favor about then and they weren't cheap.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                There were some higher end [for their day] video cards made for PCI-X slots to fill the niche where a server board is used as a graphics workstation.
                They are kind if rare as PCI-E took favor about then and they weren't cheap.
                /nod

And very rare, I do have a 64 bit PCI-X 128 meg version of a Number 9 card that was sold for CAD that was around 10 grand in its time but its not much better than the onboard when it comes to todays gaming etc graphics.

High end graphics then did everything via hardware in the GPU and the functions were hardwired in the GPU, now those functions are in the software like Direct X, Java, Flash etc and the GPUs are just superclocked with a smaller set of hardwired functions that are common to be called from the software.

Comment

Working...
                X