Compatible Processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatible Processor?

Thye ahd something going with laptop CPU ockets until they started amking sockets that fit different types of CPUs that were electrically different.
    In my case, I have that Durabook and a stray 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo I found lying around.

As you can see, the CPU is missing two pins in the corner though the socket is only missing one. I'm not going to dare power the system on until I know that it's not all just going to blow up on me so might anyone here know if this is or (probably) is not compatible?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Compatible Processor?

Well, the pictures aren't loading for me. What's the sSpec of the CPU? What's the chipset of the laptop? Any markings on the socket to identify which one it is? Sockets usually have something like mPGA479m printed on it. Look up this code and it will tell you which one it is.

Intel has used very similar sockets for many generations of mobile CPUs -

Socket 479 - Pentium IIIM
    Socket 478 - Pentium 4M
    Socket 479 - usually blue or gray - but i've seen other colors - Celeron M/Pentium M - physically identical to the P3 version, but electrically different
    Socket M - usually yellow - Core Solo/Core Duo/older Core 2 Duo/Celeron M (core based)
    Socket P - usually pink - Newer Core 2
    Last edited by yyonline; 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Make sure there's no other coffee lurking in there.

Comment

That isn't coffee stains you see.
        the chipset next to the processor is an Intel 82GM965 (AAAAARGH! IGP graphics!)
        The processor itself is an T7400, SL9SE class Core 2 Duo Mobile.
        Ther are no markings on the socket that google gives anything useful for. All that I know is that it's white.
        Find Nedry!

Comment

The CPU is for Socket M.

Based on the chipset, I'd say the socket is likely Socket P (although 965/Socket M combinations do exist, just uncommon).

Socket M: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...T_Socket_M.jpg
          Socket P: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._mPGA478MN.JPG

They're very similar, but the key pins in the upper left (as seen in the photo) are oriented differently.

If the one on your board is Socket M, you are good to go for CPU compatibility. Socket M has 479 holes, but Socket M CPUs have only 478 pins, so there is one unused hole.

If the socket on the board is Socket P, your CPU will not work, even if it fits. I would not try it for fear of damaging either the board or CPU.
          Last edited by yyonline; 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

If it makes things any clearer, there is a "479" that is seen on the socket that the flash blurs out.
            Also, this particular laptop did indeed come with a Core 2 Duo if that helps cut down on the list of other possible processors.

Edit:
            Actually, it's right there on the site.
            CPU
            - Intel® CentrinoTM Duo mobile technology
            - Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor (4MB L2 Cache, 667MHZ FSB)
            - Intel® Celeron® M Core 2 Solo processor (FSB 533MHz) 2MB L2 Cache
            - Intel® Santa Rosa Refresh, 45mm Penryn Ready
            If I'm reading that second line right, I should of actually found an exact replacement to the stock processor.
            Last edited by pentium; 11-08-2010, 08:34 PM.
            Find Nedry!

Comment

"- Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor (4MB L2 Cache, 667MHZ FSB)"
              would indicate Socket M as there were no 4MB/667 Socket P Core 2 Duos.

"- Intel® Santa Rosa Refresh, 45mm Penryn Ready "
              would indicate Socket P, as all the Penryn CPUs are Socket P.

I'm at home now, so I can see the pictures. Socket M has two holes filled. Socket P has two different holes filled. Your socket only has one hole filled - and it's the common hole between Socket M and Socket P. So...that doesn't help either.

I know and Socket M and P are completely incompatible - they rotated the layout 90 degrees or something like that.

I googled the model number D15TS - and I found reviews indicating that it came with the following processors:

T8100 - Socket P (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...ook_d15ts.html)

This "configure a laptop" page also indicated socket P.
              http://www.avadirect.com/product_det...asp?PRID=10590

So, I think the more likely socket is Socket P.

Comment

And a swift death will be made if I don't use the right processor?
                damn.
                Find Nedry!

Comment

Either death...or nothing will happen at all. I don't know. I've never tried it. But given that a T7400 still goes for a decent chunk of change, I personally wouldn't risk it.

Idea -

buy a cheap socket P CPU - search SLA2G on ebay.

Try it out. This way, if it's the wrong socket, you're only losing a ~$10 cpu. Once you know what socket it is for sure, then buy the real CPU you want to use.
                  Last edited by yyonline; 11-09-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Might be like Toughbooks where different mobos [and therefore different CPUs] come under the same base model #.
                    I found D15TS listed with everything from T2370 to T8100 CPUs.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_479

i see the issue... damn you intel...
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        Might be like Toughbooks where different mobos [and therefore different CPUs] come under the same base model #.
                        I found D15TS listed with everything from T2370 to T8100 CPUs.
                        I found a page listing the T2370, and many others...didn't bother linking all of them...but all were socket P. I don't recall finding anything listing specs of model D15TS with a socket M cpu installed.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                          I found a page listing the T2370, and many others...didn't bother linking all of them...but all were socket P. I don't recall finding anything listing specs of model D15TS with a socket M cpu installed.
                          I see what you're saying.
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

BuMP.
                            Found a Socket P processor, the SLA49.
                            It's rated for 2ghz but I guess that will work.
                            Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                            X