This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

^I had one just like that, also with the bad capxon. It had significant heat discolouration on the PCB near the bad cap, so I opted to just junk it, since it would probably have cooked the replacment cap sooner or later. Fixing it properly would probably require the DM311 mod
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Suntek pw-230apsa

Interesting psu that I found, made by SUNTEK.
      Caps- Panasonic, CEHTR, and CTC.
      Replaced with some NCC, Panasonic, and Nichicon caps.
      Pictures tell it all!:

Oh, and note that it doesn't have 5v sub, 3.3v, or power-on green wire, instead it uses a switch.
      Attached Files
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I think you guys are going to LOVE this one!

I was browsing through my box of power adapters, looking for something suitable for a project when I came across one that was very lightweight.

This one's going to be interesting, I thought

Pity there are no screws. Might have to get the saw... oh hell, let's just try pulling on it, sometimes the glue gets weak from heat - *pop* and it just fell open, revealing... a little circuit board.

I wonder what's on the other side? Not very much!

Fuse? input filter? controller IC? Feedback? regulation?

What for do you want fuse? Resistor is fuse!!
        Input filter, we don't need no stinking input filter making cost up 50 cents!
        Controller IC, regulation? hahahaha! cost too much!

High quality, lowest prices, made in China! YOU BUY!!!

I score it negative 3 stars for having a case that could fall apart when you try to pull it out of the power socket

+1 star for the electrolytics still being intact.
        Attached Files
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

that belongs in the gutless/fried hall of shame.

another item off the hongkongflyapart line...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

So it gets a score of -2?

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              So it gets a score of -2?
              Definitely a HWI fail award

Comment

^
                Yup, although I think I'll stick with a 0 for the okia 420W

Comment

Those Jakec caps aren't that bad.

I have a slightly better phone charger that I made a thread about. It also lacks a fuse, input filter, or feedback circuit, but at least it uses a bridge rectifier instead of a single diode and doesn't have two output rectifier diodes jammed into a position designed for only one.

Comment

The PC-PSU-That-Must-Not-Be-Named (aka Bestec ATX-250-12E)
                    On this unit, it had a rather interesting death. As you can see by the pics, the whole primary side is charred and there are bulged/bad cheapo caps on the secondary side. I have already scrapped half of it, but left the board in to show the damage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

^
                      I had a Bestec ATX-300-12Z. I overloaded it to 400W on the tester, and the result was similar -

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        I think you guys are going to LOVE this one!

I was browsing through my box of power adapters, looking for something suitable for a project when I came across one that was very lightweight.

This one's going to be interesting, I thought

Pity there are no screws. Might have to get the saw... oh hell, let's just try pulling on it, sometimes the glue gets weak from heat - *pop* and it just fell open, revealing... a little circuit board.

I wonder what's on the other side? Not very much!

Fuse? input filter? controller IC? Feedback? regulation?

What for do you want fuse? Resistor is fuse!!
                        Input filter, we don't need no stinking input filter making cost up 50 cents!
                        Controller IC, regulation? hahahaha! cost too much!

High quality, lowest prices, made in China! YOU BUY!!!

I score it negative 3 stars for having a case that could fall apart when you try to pull it out of the power socket

+1 star for the electrolytics still being intact.
                        haha, someone should take apart those super duper small power supplies for ipods and such that apple sells, they are sooo tiny, I bet they are crap inside just like this one, I mean, no regulation at all? that is insane xDxDxD

-Ben
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

An Apple one will be much better than this, for sure.

This one is only using about a third of the space available inside the case too. Do some clever engineering you can cram a lot in - and Apple are very good at doing that.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Premier LC-B350ATX. Been a while since i've seen anything THIS gutless. Found this in some socket 754 box that i got for free. Amazingly the thing still booted...

Transient filtering? Nada.
                            Wimpy little thermistor for inrush limiting.
                            2A primary rectifiers.
                            330uF YC primary caps.
                            2SC5763 main switchers. These are about as lowly as they get...
                            "Diodes-on-a-bracket" for 12v (6A total). 10A rectifiers for 5v and 3.3v.
                            Ridiculously small secondary coils.
                            2003 controller.
                            A grand total of ONE filter cap per rail. 1000uF YC on the main rails, 470uF on the negative rails. 12v cap was bloated.

And would you look at the label... While the secondary diodes add up to just 155W. I think it can barely keep ATX spec with 50W load. Any bets on when it'll blow up? Anyway, let's give good ole Deer credit for one thing - the board is going to be lovely for mods, as i don't have much to strip off it.
                            Attached Files
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              Any bets on when it'll blow up?
                              My guess is it will blow up at about 250W

Comment

Found this in some socket 754 box that i got for free. Amazingly the thing still booted...
                                And that's the problem. Some people don't care - "As long as it works, I'm happy"

Some guy who's a computer technician on another forum (and who knows that cheap PSUs are junk) runs his secondary backup server off a Hyena (Deer) PSU - apparently "For years without a problem" and won't change it because it still works.

My 900Mhz Celeron (first machine) had a Hyena PSU, the machine never had any problems either, but when I upgraded it I found the PSU had bloated capacitors.

Admittedly the Hyena brand in this country is much better for input filters etc than the one you just posted, but the capacitors still suck.

2 years on a tiny little Celeron and they still bloated? Pathetic.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Back to my L&C above - 150mV ripple on 5vsb with 1A load... pathetic. And the 5vsb caps are good! Long term result - Bye bye motherboard.

12v (with the bad cap) has 700mV ripple with zero load. With a 2.5A load it goes up to 1 volt. With my inverter connected and powering my laptop (roughly 8A total 12v load) it goes down to 600mV, but only because the inverter has its own 2200uF cap. Bye bye hard drive... After a few minutes the secondary heatsink is already at 81C. No wonder, since i'm already exceeding the rating of the 12v diodes. In this while 5v was loaded with around 4A to balance the consumption, and was sitting at exactly 50mV p-p ripple... borderline in spec, at less than half its real capacity (let alone the claimed one!).

I have no doubt that if i load 5v and 3.3v more they will also go out of spec, and the heatsink will get even hotter, and then the 12v diodes will die. I don't want to blow it up tho.

So, it does 120W. While cooking your PC that is.
                                  Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM.
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Back to my L&C above - 150mV ripple on 5vsb with 1A load... pathetic. And the 5vsb caps are good!
                                    Underrated capacitors then?
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Underrated everything - heck even the jumper wires in place of the pi filter coils are skinny.

There was no room to fit the filter coils anyway, so i just stuffed in as much capacitance in as i could, filling all the unused spots. 5vsb got an extra 1000uF 10v Jun Fu, 3.3v got an extra 3300uF 6.3v Teapo, 5v got 4700uF 10v and 3300uF 10v Fuhjyyus, and finally 12v got the bad YC swapped for a 2200uF 16v CS. All rails are now in spec at 120W with room to spare. It'll prolly make it to 250.

Now don't look at me like that - i only need this PSU to test random stuff once a month, so those replacement caps shouldn't fail anytime soon even tho they're crap too. Looking at the tiny output inductors, i can safely say i'll probably melt those before the replacement caps blow.

Comment

I've seen 5V of ripple on the 5vsb rail before (on an Antec SP-30 when the caps went bad).

Comment

Premier LC-B350ATX. Been a while since i've seen anything THIS gutless. Found this in some socket 754 box that i got for free. Amazingly the thing still booted...

Transient filtering? Nada.
                                          Wimpy little thermistor for inrush limiting.
                                          2A primary rectifiers.
                                          330uF YC primary caps.
                                          2SC5763 main switchers. These are about as lowly as they get...
                                          "Diodes-on-a-bracket" for 12v (6A total). 10A rectifiers for 5v and 3.3v.
                                          Ridiculously small secondary coils.
                                          2003 controller.
                                          A grand total of ONE filter cap per rail. 1000uF YC on the main rails, 470uF on the negative rails. 12v cap was bloated.

And would you look at the label... While the secondary diodes add up to just 155W. I think it can barely keep ATX spec with 50W load. Any bets on when it'll blow up? Anyway, let's give good ole Deer credit for one thing - the board is going to be lovely for mods, as i don't have much to strip off it.
                                          in my world, past pictures, that thing would have been stripped and trashed... or kept as a conversation piece.
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X