Nuts... another failed WD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nuts... another failed WD drive

I've had countless Samsung HM160LI laptop drives fail. Mostly out of Dell Inspiron 1525, some out of HP DV line.
    Out of a batch of 25 320GB Hitachi desktop drives I bought in 2008, all are fine.

Comment

I see a good double the failure rate on computers that have no active cooling of the drives over the years regardless of brand at the 3-4 year mark. Often a cheap case reflects a cheap power supply which certainly doesn't help. Ill install single platter drives without fans cause they barely get warm depending.

Of all the enthusiasts i know or have helped build computers, a good cool drive bay with rubber vibration dampening with raid 1 is quite stable, drives last as long as they aren't a waste of space in the computer it seems.

Then there are a few people that just lose way more then their fare share of drives.

Lately I've been very careful buying 500gb+ hard drives, the reports of failures just seems higher then ever across all brands. Seems too risky to run raid 5 across 8 drives anymore.

Comment

yeah it seems most of the problems come from 500GB+ dirves. probably from perpendicular recording.

not sure about the OP, bad luck for him. I've got eight of the same model (1600AAJS) and they've been running smooth for almost three years now.

Comment

According to Google Labs high temperature and heavy usage doesn't shorten drive life.

Given a choice I'd rather have them cool.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

hmm that's an interesting article severach.

i guess in the end the HD should be cool because usually they're located near the intake, and to keep the system cool the fan would have to be nice. that or use the sealed case-convection large heatsink idea.

Comment

Working...
            X