Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sceptre X22WG-1080p monitor not staying backlit, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sceptre X22WG-1080p monitor not staying backlit, Please Help!

that was tough, those pins are so small- got a new reading

10-16 = 59.06

Does this mean something else is causing the short and the IC is good? Should I re-solder the pin?

Comment

Originally posted by trex66 View Post
      that was tough, those pins are so small- got a new reading

10-16 = 59.06

Does this mean something else is causing the short and the IC is good? Should I re-solder the pin?
      Is that 59 ohms or 59K (as in 59,000) ohms? The other readings in post #39 have K ohms.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

sorry, 59.06 K Ohms

Comment

sorry, 59.06 K Ohms
          None of those readings suggest the BIT 3717 is shorted. BIT 3717 could still be bad in other ways though. If you rub the chip, does it feel bubbled up?

Can we a slightly zoomed out picture (like the one in post #32) with resolution as close to 2000x2000?

Hold off on resoldering the pin back in.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Someone how I missed alexanna's post #31. Did you retest as suggested?

And just to confirm, in post #29, you got 2 seconds to black when switching in the 12.5 inch ccfl into each connector. That is, three Sceptre ccfl tubes + one 12.5 inch tube.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That's odd, I also missed that post, I didn't re-test but I can when I fix the 16 pin. Here are some more pics. I didn't notice it until I was really looking close. Yes, 2 sec to black with each connector except for the third one, which gave me one sec at full, 1second at half brightness and then off. Also the CCFL I used was from a used 15" LCD, but measures 12.5"
              Attached Files
              Last edited by trex66; 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Okay, resolder pin 16.

With power off and lcd unplugged, test each one of the components in the yellow box.

R components should be tested with ohms measurement. The multimeter should give you a reading close to the markings.

C components should be tested with capacitance. If you don't have a capacitance function, use ohms. Any reading under 30 ohms suggests the capacitor might be shorted.

D components should be tested with the diode test function. Put your red probe on one side and black on the other. Record measurment. Reverse probes and repeat.

After these measurements, you can try alexanna's suggestions.
                Attached Files
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I couldn't get a reading on two caps and a resistor, I've tested over and over, switched leads and same results. I can't believe three component went bad at once? Also didn't know what to do with the J- Jack connector.

Note this pic I drew on is the old one with the pin not attached.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also didn't know what to do with the J- Jack connector.
                    J is jumper. That is why it says 0 for 0 ohms.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, ran the monitor through every combination of my spare CCFL and the other four leads. This time I couldn't detect any difference between any 2 and off cycles. I tried to reproduce what happened yesterday, but I couldn't. I would like to write off the CCFL's but I know the test CCFL I have is not the same size as the ones in the monitor and it came from a used screen.

I re-tested the surface mount components I couldn't get a reading from and I got a 55.76 KΩ for the resistor but still nothing from those two caps...

Comment

OK, ran the monitor through every combination of my spare CCFL and the other four leads. This time I couldn't detect any difference between any 2 and off cycles. I tried to reproduce what happened yesterday, but I couldn't. I would like to write off the CCFL's but I know the test CCFL I have is not the same size as the ones in the monitor and it came from a used screen.

I re-tested the surface mount components I couldn't get a reading from and I got a 55.76 KΩ for the resistor but still nothing from those two caps...
                        When you're doing the testing with your spare ccfl do you have a video source connected?
                        The ribbon cable to the LCD panel does not have to be hooked up.
                        Al.
                        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Depending on the circuit, a capacitor will read open when using the resistance ranges on a DMM.

PlainBill
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                            When you're doing the testing with your spare ccfl do you have a video source connected?
                            The ribbon cable to the LCD panel does not have to be hooked up.
                            Al.
                            Yes, I couldn't get the monitor to try to start up without a VGA cable connected.

Comment

10-16 0.2 Ω

This, by far, is my weakest area of troubleshooting (the sense circuitry) and I could be leading through a wild goose chase, but we now know that out of circuit pin 10-16 is 50K ohm resistance. In circuit is 0.2 ohms.

Now either this is by design or not. Let's assume it is not. So try tracing the circuit path (with power off and lcd unplugged) from pin 10 to pin 16 using your continuity feature on your multimeter. See what components it is going through to get a 0.2 ohms reading. This may give us a clue on a component that is possibly shorted?
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My wife is making me do the Atkins diet with her. I'm sitting across the table from her wondering what I ever did to her and what I'm going to do - but something kept bothering me and it wasn't just the food. Those screwy CCFL's! They act one way one day then different the next. Then I remembered I had an old Apple laptop with the same plug and the inverter right under the hing cover. I plugged each of the four CCFL's in to the inverter and yes, one wouldn't light up. Now I'm happy, I don't care what I was just fed, I took the screen apart and there it was, a big beautiful black hole in the lamp. That 12" test lamp must not have been pulling enough current to keep the lamps lit.

I consider myself a regular guy when it comes to intellect. And I've tried, but for the life of me I can't get my head around this stuff. I know what most of the components do - but how they interact as a whole and make radios or computers do what they do is beyond me.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone here. Thank you for your patience, explanations and most of all, thank you for not laughing at me. This is a great board, you guys are helping a lot of people and saving a lot of electronics from the trash heap.

Comment

Great!!!! glad you found it
                                  Al.
                                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

That 12" test lamp must not have been pulling enough current to keep the lamps lit.
                                    Yes, that was what I was worried about. Some have had luck with 17 inch ccfl in a 22 inch monitor.

Glad you found the problem.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My wife is making me do the Atkins diet with her. I'm sitting across the table from her wondering what I ever did to her and what I'm going to do - but something kept bothering me and it wasn't just the food.
                                      The Atkins diet promotes weight loss by depriving your body of vital nutrients. While this may be effective in the short term, it is very unhealthy. Perhaps if you point out to your wife that if she continues on this diet her face will develop wrinkles, her body will sag, and her hair will fade she will reconsider her approach.

Congratulations on the monitor diagnosis.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

trex66,
                                        I think you have more than one bulb giving you a problem.Alot on monitors I see develop a problem where the small white wire solders to the ccfl,They are usually discolored, and brittle .
                                        When you order your parts I would suggest getting at least on extra ccfl in case you need it.
                                        As an added bonus if you have time could you redo your testing with the smaller ccfl when you get your new ccfl installed? To see if we can use the shorter bulb for testing.
                                        Al.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                          Well, that sucks. I see five options at this point:

1. Borrow a DMM (or have a friend check it for you).

2. Buy a DMM. Harbor Freight Tools sells a rather nice one for $25. Fluke sells VERY nice ones for somewhat more.

3. Give it to someone who has the capability of repairing it.

4. Send it to the landfill.

5. Try these tests. This MIGHT damage the inverter. For simplicity we will label the CCFL wires from the inverter as A, B, C, D. The wires to the CCFLs will be labeled 1, 2, 3, 4. Normally A connects to 1, B to 2, C to 3, D to 4. We will describe this as A1, B2, C3, D4. Got it?

Disconnect B2, C3, D4. Now the A output is the only one connected to a CCFL. Position the panel so you can see the face of it. Plug the monitor in and cycle the power button (press it twice, pausing a second or two between presses). Does the screen light up briefly? If yes, estimate it's brightness, then disconnect A1 and hook up the B2. Cycle the power button. If it lights up, is the brightness about the same as A1? Repeat this for the remaining CCFLs. If all worked at the same brightness you probably have a problem in the inverter; specifically in the monitoring circuit.

If a lamp did not light, or was dimmer, you have to figure out if the problem was the CCFL or the inverter. As an example, we will say that B2 was much dimmer. Now hook B to 1 and cycle the power button. Is the CCFL now at full brightness? Try hooking A to 2 and cycling the power button. Is it now at full brightness?

If a CCFL (1, 2, 3, 4) will not light at full brightness no matter which output it is connected to, there is a problem with that CCFL or it's wiring. If an output (A, B, C, or D) will not light a CCFL at full brightness you have either a bad solder joint or a bad transformer.

PlainBill
                                          " If all worked at the same brightness you probably have a problem in the inverter; specifically in the monitoring circuit."

if this is the case, then what is the next step?

Comment

Working...
                                          X