EEVblog Episode 347 - Samsung SyncMaster 204e LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEVblog Episode 347 - Samsung SyncMaster 204e LCD

Dave Jones does a teardown and repair of a Samsung SyncMaster 204e LCD. No surprise to us that the culprits are bloated Capxons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytw57212X2o

Discussion at

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-sp...air/?topicseen
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-07-2012, 07:24 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: EEVblog Episode 347 - Samsung SyncMaster 204e LCD

Bloated CapXon caps?? NO WAY!
    Unfortunately, I will have to watch that video another time. Currently sitting on a PC that isn't quite capable of YouTube

Comment

I saw it... I cringed when he put in those "Low ESR" garbage caps he bought...

I was also a little disappointed that he missed the opportunity to discuss cap ripple and ESR by showing the datasheets and demonstrating how to find equivalent series replacements that match the originals. It seemed like a very rushed, unprofessional job when he didn't even need them working right away and could have made much better use of his blog by repairing by example.

OTOH, I did learn from him that some of the components have the tack on them for a reason. I always thought that the tack was there for the flow soldering to hold the components down so they wouldn't bob up during the process. I didn't understand some of the component identifications by the terminology he used (He varies his terminology sometimes), but he did say that the reason for the tack is because some of them actually oscillate and the oscillation can fatigue the solder joint.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

He needed to fix them fast because he needed them for Teardown Tuesday or for some conference he goes at this week or next week - I'm not sure now exactly when that expo/conference is and I'm too tired/not interested to look it up.

Yeah, he knows those capacitors are crap and he says in the video but he didn't have time to wait for Farnell to ship him capacitors.

I guess I also feel it was a rushed up video, which doesn't really "teaches" anything while it can potentially give people that don't pay attention bad ideas.

Comment

His wife is also pestering him to spend more time with her... Marriage kills independent George.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
          X