Philips cdr-765

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips cdr-765

I have one of these old cdrs and the only discs it will burn or recognize are cdrw discs.
    They stopped making cdr for music years ago. They had the blue-ish tint to them.
    There is a modchip in Italy that claims it will use the cheap cdr discs for computers.
    Has anybody used this? What chip are they selling?

Re: Philips cdr-765

Interesting find.

I've seen old CD players not read CD-RW discs with music, but never a properly-burned CD-Rs (i.e. closed session/DAO). That said, I have seen those blue-tinted music discs and always wondered what makes them so special for music, as I've never had problems with my burned music CDs.

What program are you using to burn your music? And which OS. Windows 10 has the habit to immediately format optical media upon insertion (with a prompt, of course). Many people just click stuff to "OK" the prompt, and they end up with an open-session disc that may not be very compatible with older stuff.

Comment

I meant to say that it won't record on any cdrs that don't have the blue tint. I use it to copy old albums and reel to reel tapes. I can burn them to a cdrw and then copy on my computer but it's a pain.

Comment

there was a scam at one time where some audio recorders would only write to discs that had a specific i.d. on them,
        these "audio" cdr's cost a lot and there may have been some government scam involved such as a "piracy tax" in some country's like holland.
        where is philips based??

Comment

I found some old info here, http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...corder.138057/ maybe the sony music cdr will work

Comment

i have an old recorder from philips . i could never find the discs so its stored away . i remember the discs had to be slow burn ones . maybe 4x . i cant remember properly . i did read up about the mod chips .
            i was rather pissed off at the thought of paying tax on my own material . sony minidisks also had a similar problem .

Comment

Oh I see what is going on now. The Philips cdr-765 is one of those component systems and you are using it to record CDs, but it won't work with CD-Rs that aren't the blue-tinted ones specially made for music recording.

Hmmm... If the mod chips is not expensive, then perhaps do give it a try. I have no idea what it is or how it works, as this is the first time I hear of one for this kind of use. My guess would be that it probably communicates with the main IC in the system over a standard serial protocol and just inserts a valid CD-R serial number when the system's IC looks for one, so you can record to any CD-R.

Comment

yes .like protocols and handshakes sort of voodoo ..

Comment

Some people that have ordered and received the mod chip did not get any instalation instructions with it.
                  So why not just use your pc to burn cd's?

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    Some people that have ordered and received the mod chip did not get any instalation instructions with it.
                    So why not just use your pc to burn cd's?
                    From my understanding of the OP's description, he is using this CD-R deck to record directly from reel-to-reel or another music CD directly to a CD-R/CD-RW disc.

Yes, you can do all that through a computer (for the reel-to-reel recording, you just feed the audio through the line-in jack and use recording software), but I can understand where there are cases where it is more convenient to just use the CD deck to do all that.

In any case, I am all for ripping out DRM software and hardware out of my equipment when it is easily possible. Stupid things like this make me feel zero sympathy for the recording industry. When they learn to have more sensible DRM ideas, the whole "piracy" community may become more sensible as well.

Comment

if you hunt, you may find the modchip code or hacked firmware - it's pretty obsolete afterall.

Comment

IIRC, these recorders were modded adding a switch to open and close the cd tray without using the 'eject' key. Then, you needed one music cd or cdrw 'officialy' accepted , put it in, close the tray. When the recorder is ready, you open the tray with your switch and replace that cd for a cheap / standard one, close the tray (again with your added switch) and done!

Most of those recorders verified the kind of media when closing the tray, not before starting to record, so that leave margin to fool it changing the disc.

Comment

that wont work.
                          the laser will only focus on the first disk.

Comment

I have a CD player that does not like these "newer" CD-Rs that are mostly silvery with a slight green-blue tinge. Nor the gray CD-RWs.

However the really old dark azo-blue dye CDRs it has no problems playing them.

Probably a different problem, but just my observations with different colored discs. I also might have to try burning on a different burner to rule that out, though the silvery cdrs work on other players.

Comment

is that a funai built unit?
                              if so i remember an undocumented menu that could disable that.
                              the dvd units simply show options and a you should not be here message.
                              the menu on the cd is cryptic but it should be searchable .
                              apex had the same trick.

Comment

This thing will play any cd or cdr/rw. It will only record on cdrw or the very hard to get blue backed audio cd-r discs.

Comment

Working...
                                X