BGA reballing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGA reballing

Recently I attempted to reflow a bga chip but still doesnt work. So I used higher temperatures and I think it's now messed up.

Nevertheless, I want to give reballing a try. I have watched some youtube vids on the procedure and not sure where to start. I have seen two different methods:

1. Using a stencil and solder paste
    2. Using a stencil and tiny balls

Anyone have any experience? Which method do you recommend in terms of cost, time and ease?

Re: BGA reballing

Stencil and leaded balls. I believe paste is suggested for Apple smc due to the tiny pad size.
    What did you use to reflow, some kind of heat gun ?
    You need bottom heat for the board and a way of controlling the top heat to resemble a heating profile.
    Depending on what you reflowed it's possible the chip was already dead. No amount of reballing will bring one back from the dead.

Comment

I am using a bosch PHG 630 DCE heat gun. What did you use to heat the bottom and what temp? Also there are SMD components at the bottom of the board where I wish to install the processor. Not sure if the chip is dead or not, but still keen on practising the art.
      Last edited by syaoran123; 03-22-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

http://advancedreworks.com/forum/

may be help!

Comment

Very useful link!

Comment

Hi

I have faced a similar experience . My laptop had some problem and one of my friends said,it may be due to a bga reballing issue just because I used to overuse my laptop. Infact I researched on this bga reballing.

I will prefer you bga reballing with stencils and tiny balls rather than the other. But it depends on the bga package. If you are re-balling lead-free BGA package then use flux along with the specified solder sphere.

If the BGA package requires a high temperature solder sphere ,apply solder paste with the help of a stencil, and place the high temperature solder sphere. This process is much recommended.The re-balling temperature will allow the solder to reflow and attach the high temperature sphere to the component pad.

I also found many such companies at Toronto which helps us with the bga reballing and repair issues and was very much satisfied with their services.Hope you got a clear picture.

Comment

BGA reballing means placement of new solder balls on a used BGA. Residual Solder RemovalThis section deals with the process related issue of eliminating residual solder once a component has been removed from a PCB.

Comment

Working...
              X