Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-6BXS and GA-BX2000 with 330uF Choyos

Hi,

Recently acquired a few of these mobos. They're equipped with 1500uF Sanyos and 330uF Choyos. Most of the GA-6BXS has only its SCSI connector working, the IDEs are dead, and the BX2000 are completely dead. No bulging on the Choyos, should I replace them?

Thanks in advance,
    -w-

yes.
    i just had 4 ga-6bxds in for recapping that were unstable.the choyo's were not bulging but a scope test showed lots of noise.
    esr tests showed them in the high teens of ohms.
    they also stunk like rotten fish when unsoldered.they had leaked enough to dry out but not be visible.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll get some 330uFs tomorrow.

-w-

Comment

Re: GA-6BXS and GA-BX2000 with 330uF Choyos

330uFs are not easy to come by. I had a GA-BX2000+ with "STONE" capacitors 330/25V (all bulging, several leaking) and replaced all of them with 470uF/16V Rubycons. Works like a charm.
        failure is not an option. it is a chance to success.

Comment

Re: GA-6BXS and GA-BX2000 with 330uF Choyos

I've been going through my systems, and came across one, today which has a GA-BX2000 board with bulging caps at the AGP slot, and RAM slots. The system has an FSP supply, which also has caps going out on the secondary side. It was also the dirtiest system I have ever opened up--dust completely caked on several portions of the board. The PII-400's heat-sink is totally full, and the fan-blades have about 1/8" of crud built up on them--I can't believe it still spins.

It booted and ran, but the inspection I did after-the-fact compels me to recap this board, and refresh the system from the ground, up.
          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
          X