Abit BX133-RAID overkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abit BX133-RAID overkill

It's very pleasefull to see there are people from so far (i'm from Argentina) still playing with that old kings. I thought i was the only one in 2011 recaping mobos for Tualatin and still modding them.
    I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

Basicly I wanted just some upgrade over my TUSL2-C (1,1@1,46 GHz, 512 MB). You know, best HW for best games - will be playing stuff like Baldur's Gate (1+2), Icewind Dale (1+2), Neverwinter Nights, Red Alert 2 etc.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Nothing wrong with overclocking for the sake of doing it to see if can be done. But none of those games will play any better doing so as I still have a 1Ghz P3 with most of those games on it I play time to time and they played no better when I overclocked to almost 2Ghz. If anything it made them play worse esp older games that used the clock speed as a timer it made them so fast they were unplayable.

Comment

Well, not really. I can play for example NWN at only 1280x960 cause of FX 5200 cant do any better.

Maybe Fallout on world map is quick but hey, at least I travel fast lol. Besides this I haven't seen any game to be faster.

And you know you can usually change this in config files, right?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I use to hex edit most of those games and make myself GOD like esp Never Winter Nights. It wasnt hard just a bit of C+ programing and address hunting/compairing. 1280x 960 is overkill for NWN, 1024 x 768 was what is was written for. A FX5200 is plenty for that game although I use a 6600GT in the machine I played it with.

Comment

I want at least 1600x1200! Thats what I have 21" Trinitron for And thats why I am doing this overkilled MoBo

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                The board will take those CPUs. You may have to patch the microcode in the BIOS to get it to boot tho - most retail boards allow you to ignore microcode errors (they are purely cosmetic anyway) but an OEM board may not.
                Do you think it would be possible to wire PIII-S into the NetServer E800? That may increase my torrent download speed from 10 to 15 MB/s or even more

Comment

Hey, when talking about the rig, I just realized I have those metal tabs from Colllaboratory. May increase the heat flow from the chip which may help stability. Any idea whether Tualatins had soldered IHS, or there was just that grey paste compound?

ADD// so I did some quock searching, and yep, there's the grey turd. So I think, problem solved? Gonna remove that and use the Metalpad, plus cut the support foam pads from some ditched Durons or so, so I won't crack corners of the core. This should bring temps down by at least 10 °C which means I can put more voltage on it and make it stable

Daamn so maybe I can finally finish the Neverwinter Nights? Better start again anyway since I now know where to go first, playing with the expansion May get some better card than FX5200 first, too. I got some nice Radeons 9x00 but those are not an option as the game could run with DirectX 9.0c, but those only support 9.0b, unlike FX5000 series. Not sure whether it matters much though, unlike I find some high-end FX5000 chip, the 9700 or which I have here will be much faster than the FX5200.
                  Last edited by Behemot; 08-10-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                    ADD// so I did some quock searching, and yep, there's the grey turd. So I think, problem solved? Gonna remove that and use the Metalpad, plus cut the support foam pads from some ditched Durons or so, so I won't crack corners of the core. This should bring temps down by at least 10 °C which means I can put more voltage on it and make it stable
                    Well now, don't go too far with the voltage. Electron migration was only a distant idea back in the days of those chips, but it's a very real thing with modern day CPUs and GPUs (especially GPUs - which is why a 1080 TI or latest ATI won't run for more than 1-2 years at max load mining, if even that).

May get some better card than FX5200 first, too. I got some nice Radeons 9x00 but those are not an option as the game could run with DirectX 9.0c, but those only support 9.0b, unlike FX5000 series. Not sure whether it matters much though, unlike I find some high-end FX5000 chip, the 9700 or which I have here will be much faster than the FX5200.
                    Actually, the FX5x00 cards are DirectX 9.0b as well - and not even all of them. The low-end cards like the FX5200 and FX5500 don't even support all DX9 features, despite saying they support it. The FX5200 and FX5500 are more like DX 8.1 cards with some feature sets of DX 9. Same goes for the Radeon 9200 (which is really just a Radeon 7000 core with DX 8.1 support). And Radeon 9000 is DX 8. Only the Radeon 9500, 9600, 9700, and 9800 fully support DX 9.0b.

As for DX 9.0c, that's not until you get a Radeon x700/x800 or newer. For nVidia, it is the GeForce 6x00 series that support it.

In any case, I say ditch that FX5200 for something better. A cheap Radeon 9600 will run circles around it, and you can get one on eBay usually for less than $10 shipped. Heck, sometimes you can find a GeForce 6600 for less than $10 shipped, and those will perform close to a Radeon 9800, with the added benefit of being true DX 9.0c cards and also have excellent hardware video acceleration.

Comment

Problem is there is only AGP 2x with 3.3V card support. So all those new cards won't work. Also too powerfull card would still be limited by both the throughput and the CPU power, even 1.862 GHz Tualatin Celeron is still just Celeron, it is no asphalt ripper But as for the voltage, I think that I was on the maximum the board allowed. So if I want to go higher, I need to do a voltmod of the VRM controller. Though I don't think I need much, some 0.05-0.1 V should be just enough to make it run stable at all times, with better cooling.

And hey, the FX5200 was overclocked too you know, it was running NWN just fine It's not too graphics hardcore game after all.

BTW, X800 GTO only supports 9.0b too, maybe couple features from 9.0c but not the full set. I remember that I had to lend a 6600 to review MOHA back in those days as it did not want to start with the X800 GTO. Crysis ran well on it, besides few minor glitches as it did not have the full feature set

Another possible problem I barely remember is there were no dividers really for 133 MHz FSB so the AGP was overclocked, to something like 88 MHz or so? That may also bring a bit of instability. Though AGP 8x cards running at 2x mode with higher frequency, dunno, they may handle it. I can increase AGP voltage though which may help.

And I think I kept the PCI bus at 1/3 instead of 1/4 as I got some nice throughput from the SCSi controller, over 100 MB/s, but the 15k drive was usually still faster than the PCI bus PCI is crap, in real world you always got fraction of the theoretical throughput. The last thing I remember I wanted to try was to increase the +3.3V rail voltage (though it was still slightly over 3.3 V already) if possible, which may help the RAMs and the PCI, which are both fed directly from this rail.
                      Last edited by Behemot; 08-11-2017, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Problem is there is only AGP 2x with 3.3V card support. So all those new cards won't work. Also too powerfull card would still be limited by both the throughput and the CPU power, even 1.862 GHz Tualatin Celeron is still just Celeron, it is no asphalt ripper
                        Ah, I see.
                        In that case, you're pretty much stuck with a Radeon 9500/9700/9800 as the best video card for that system, as those are backwards-compatible to 3.3V.

Or if you want something better than the FX5200 but less power hungry and more long-lasting than the 9500/9700/9800 cards, Radeon 8500 and 9000 are the way to go (but avoid Radeon 9200/9250!) or go with GeForce 4 TI4200/4400/4600, if you can still find one for a good price. The prices of those cards have gone up on eBay in the last few years. Glad I got my TI4400 for cheap (under $13 shipped to me). Just a few new caps later, at it was back up and running. It's a wonderful mid-range video card and will beat the crap out of the FX5200, even at AGP 2x speeds.

BTW, X800 GTO only supports 9.0b too, maybe couple features from 9.0c but not the full set. I remember that I had to lend a 6600 to review MOHA back in those days as it did not want to start with the X800 GTO. Crysis ran well on it, besides few minor glitches as it did not have the full feature set
                        You're right.
                        Not sure why I was left with the impression that x700/x800 cards are DX 9.0c compliant. I looked through my CPU-Z screenshots of my video cards, and my X800 GTO is indeed a 9.0b card (but with a powerful XT core and all shaders enabled).

PCI is crap, in real world you always got fraction of the theoretical throughput.
                        Yeah. PCI is quite dated nowadays. Even gigabit ethernet card can choke it.
                        I thought about upgrading one of my PCI-only computers with a better video card, but even slow video cards like the Radeon 7500 and GeForce 6200 are limited by the slow bandwidth of the PCI bus - so much, that the onboard Intel i865 ("Extreme" Graphics 2 ) isn't that much worse.

The last thing I remember I wanted to try was to increase the +3.3V rail voltage (though it was still slightly over 3.3 V already) if possible, which may help the RAMs and the PCI, which are both fed directly from this rail.
                        That should be fairly easy if the PSU has a mag-amp or linear 3.3V-regulated rail (and most PSUs are).
                        Last edited by momaka; 08-18-2017, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Well, how easy? You need to change the magamp coil, no?

As for X800, the X1000 (R520) was the first with full 9.0c support. And also Radeons 8000 or GeForce 4 do not have DirectX 9.0 at all, so no choice either.

But I found a 9800SE and I also think I have some Radeons 9700 and maybe some other 9800 version, not sure which, maybe actually also with some better cooler, something like IceQ or so. Got it somewhere on a shelf for years now, probably for as long as I have not fired this rig up

Comment

Well, how easy? You need to change the magamp coil, no?
                            No, there should be a 431 shunt somewhere connected to the 3.3V output through a voltage divider. This is what sets the voltage regulation. Just decrease the value of the lower resistor in the divider a bit, and that should give you more voltage. Same applies for linear-regulated 3.3V rails, as they also use a 431 shunt. In fact, those are even easier to trace and mod.

And also Radeons 8000 or GeForce 4 do not have DirectX 9.0 at all, so no choice either.
                            Neither does the FX5200. It's a true DX 8.1 card.

But I found a 9800SE and I also think I have some Radeons 9700 and maybe some other 9800 version, not sure which, maybe actually also with some better cooler, something like IceQ or so. Got it somewhere on a shelf for years now, probably for as long as I have not fired this rig up
                            Definitely use the one with the IceQ cooler then. Those Khan cores don't last long with the stock heatsinks.

Comment

I though the 3V3 is hardwired through the saturation of its magamp core, you say it may be regulated? Doesn't that actually cause other voltages to rise as well? Cause the only way I can imagine is to put more power to the secondary, which will however also increase 5V and 12V voltage unless there is some considerable draw…no?

All FX models support DirectX 9.0a…

Comment

Working...
                              X