Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wire/cabe bend in 90 deg

Hi ,

Just want to ask if a wire or cable can be bend in a 90deg. Is it allowable in the NEC? if yes on what article can be located. thanks for your help.

regards,

Re: wire/cabe bend in 90 deg

Depends on the cable. You can bend cable, you can't just fold them, because electrical current travels on the outside of the conductor. I know for romex it can't be no more then 5 times the inner diameter of the cable itself, whatever that means.

Basically nice and wide bends is safe. Nothing insane like a hula hoop but if you think it's going to arc across the inner or cause a hot point then it probably best not to do it.

Best way to do it is to ask your inspector or call an electrician to consult about it, because they know the local codes in your area, and they can tell you for sure.
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 09-25-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Re: wire/cabe bend in 90 deg

If you're using EMT, you have the option of using a pulling ell, or an LB/LL/LR housing if you need a 'tight' 90 degree bend.

PCV conduit also has similar LB/LL/LR housings for tight 90 degree bends.

MC (metal clad) cable, by code, cannot be bent any tighter than 9 times its outside diameter. The reason why is it will pinch the conductors against the outer jacket and you'll 'break' sheath. MC cable sheath is nothing more than an interlocked spiral-wrapped metal tape. Most MC cable has an aluminum jacket although there is still one company that makes it with steel.

I work mainly in commercial/light industrial so I don't work much with NM or UF cable. When I run either one of these, no sharp turns.
      Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Working...
      X