Resistors ok from Ebay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistors ok from Ebay?

Hello, I was just wondering about your thoughts on getting resistors from Ebay?Is this a bad idea or are they a pretty safe component to get from anywhere? Thanks!

Re: Resistors ok from Ebay?

They would probably be ok, but old stocks, what's left from various jobs etc

The axial leaded ones could be with the leads a bit oxidized, so you may need good solder wire (with good flux) to use them.

Comment

I never had any trouble getting resistors off of E-bay. I bought some nice little blue ones (I think 1/8 watt). They look beautiful and work just fine. I believe they're a bit newer though. I have taken resistors off of electronics that were made 10-20 years ago and they tested and worked fine.
      Last edited by Spork Schivago; 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM. Reason: Worded some sentences a bit different like
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

It's not worth it for me to buy from eBay - I don't have the patience to wait 2-4 weeks for them to come from China and pay 2$ in bus tickets and waste 2-3 hours of my life to go all the way to the other side of town at the customs office to pick the package

I can get a 50 pack of those 1/8w resistors for 1$ on Farnell, and to my country the shipping's only about 5-6$ and the guy comes with the package at my door in 3-5 days.

Already have a large selection of the most common resistors, simply used to add a few types of resistors to order for other parts so they added up.

I'm probably going to buy smd resistors in the future for my own hobby projects and prototypes, 805 sized resistors are not that hard to solder, not to mention it saves me from drilling holes into pcbs.

And they're super cheap, somewhere around 17-30$ for a roll of 5000 resistors.

With smaller quantities it's just a bit more expensive, about 1.5$ for 100 pcs.

Comment

I think there is a possibility that 1% (or lower) resistors might be actually 5% units from some bad sellers.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

not worth the risk or cost.
            they are cheap enough at digikey.

Comment

Ok thanks for the input Guy's. Does anyone know if digikey has like a assorted lot of resistors or Leftovers from when they are discontinued lots?

Comment

Not really. Though they do discounts with larger quantities. Just click on sort by quantity, enter an approximate quantity you want and you get the reduced prices.

They do have "Chip Outpost" which is a sort of "overstock" or repository for inventory of older chips, no longer manufactured or old :

http://www.digikey.com/chipoutpost/en

You can't find many resistors, but it's a good place to get diodes, bridge rectifiers, various ics (shifters, opamps) ..

For example, where can you pick 10k 1N4148 for 50$ : http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...13-CHP/2287241

If you want new, the cheapest would be about 80$ at 10k quantity.

Comment

Working...
                X