Re-capping eVGA GeForce 7600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-capping eVGA GeForce 7600

As part of learning to solder, I am going to replace blown capacitors on my mom's motherboard. I've already ordered the caps kit for the MCP61PM-HM 1.0B (motherboard by ECS for HP). To assist with the learning curve, the last step before touching her MOBO is to replace blown caps on the AGP video card mentioned in the title, then testing my work in a different computer. I've done my research, including reading here, and this card was put together with only Sacon caps(!) at 1500uF 6.3V, 470uF 16V, and 1000uF 6.3V.

I respect Topcat and this site, but it was frustrating that I never got an email reply from him about what I should replace these with. So I took a chance and ordered Nichicon caps that are electrically compatible with the ones that need to be replaced. However, the caps I received are physically different from what's on the card; will this be a problem?

Also, the caps on the video card have a blue "stripe"--for lack of a better word--on the top, whose side and orientation matches the white stripe in the circles they "sit" in. I assume this means the polarity is on the blue/white side, which is somewhat confusing, because a "+" is on the other side. Do I guess correctly?

I can provide pics if you need them.

Thx for your help

P. S. I can't tell if the card is a GS or GT, partly because I threw away the box.

Re: Re-capping eVGA GeForce 7600

What series are the Nichicon caps you ordered to replace the Sacon caps?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Assuming you got the same uF and voltage as the originals, you will be fine. Topcat only sells HM, HN and HZ series, all of which are fine for this application.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        What series are the Nichicon caps you ordered to replace the Sacon caps?
        HN for the 470's, HN and HZ for the 1000's, and HZ for the 1500's. I couldn't tell if I needed HN or HZ for the 1000's, so I got both.
        Last edited by n-CHRIS-b; 01-01-2013, 02:23 AM. Reason: To clarify

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          Assuming you got the same uF and voltage as the originals, you will be fine. Topcat only sells HM, HN and HZ series, all of which are fine for this application.
          I went out of my way to make sure they matched. That is partly why I ask about their physical size. I don't want to damage the board.

Comment

Their physical size shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming you are saying the diameter is different. Most cards will be screened for both 8mm and 10mm caps, and have holes for both, so you can use either. If not, you can mount them 1 or 2 mm off the PCB, which will aleviate the stress on the caps legs, seal and on the PCB pads.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Their physical size shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming you are saying the diameter is different. Most cards will be screened for both 8mm and 10mm caps, and have holes for both, so you can use either. If not, you can mount them 1 or 2 mm off the PCB, which will aleviate the stress on the caps legs, seal and on the PCB pads.
              On practice solder kits, I mounted the caps a few mm off the board while I used a heat sink. Even then, the finished product still worked. On the video card, I noticed it has holes for both the 8mm and 10mm caps, so all is not lost. lol

I actually meant the height is different, but I'm going to assume it makes no difference, since electrical ratings are electrical ratings.

Above, I think I actually answered my own question about the polarity orientation of the old caps. lol I believe I was overanalyzing about the "+" next to the circles.

Comment

Quality replacement caps are often taller than their "equivalent" cheap OEM ones.
                This isn't a problem unless it's going to hit something like the case or a heatsink.
                A lot of OEM caps are also too narrow for their capacity as well. Like a 10mm⌀ 4700µf/6.3v, no reputable manufacturer offers an "impossible" size. It's better to use a quality cap of lower capacity but equivalent ESR if there is no room for a larger one.

Polarity markings on the cap itself are universal- The band, stripe or mark indicates Negative (-) as does the short lead on a Radial cap.

Markings on the board are "almost" universal. Most boards are marked to indicate where Negative is, and you line up the stripe on the cap with the mark on the board.

But some manufacturers mark them opposite, with a mark for Positive (+)!
                Others use a tiny + sign.

It's best to look at the board before removing the old cap and see if the markings are standard. If they're not visible, make your own marks or draw a chart.

A motherboard is a difficult soldering task. They're not just double-sided, they're multi-layered. This makes desoldering the old caps difficult as the heat is wicked away too quickly to melt the solder all the way through.

Good luck!
                Last edited by KeriJane; 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM.
                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
                  Quality replacement caps are often taller than their "equivalent" cheap OEM ones.
                  This isn't a problem unless it's going to hit something like the case or a heatsink.
                  A lot of OEM caps are also too narrow for their capacity as well. Like a 10mm⌀ 4700µf/6.3v, no reputable manufacturer offers an "impossible" size. It's better to use a quality cap of lower capacity but equivalent ESR if there is no room for a larger one.

Polarity markings on the cap itself are universal- The band, stripe or mark indicates Negative (-) as does the short lead on a Radial cap.

Markings on the board are "almost" universal. Most boards are marked to indicate where Negative is, and you line up the stripe on the cap with the mark on the board.

But some manufacturers mark them opposite, with a mark for Positive (+)!
                  Others use a tiny + sign.

It's best to look at the board before removing the old cap and see if the markings are standard. If they're not visible, make your own marks or draw a chart.

A motherboard is a difficult soldering task. They're not just double-sided, they're multi-layered. This makes desoldering the old caps difficult as the heat is wicked away too quickly to melt the solder all the way through.

Good luck!
                  Ok. Thanks for the pointers on polarity orientation. I know how to interpret those now.

The few times I've picked up the motherboard, I figured it would be complicated. Until working with the video card, I had never experienced soldering with such tiny holes. And without totally understanding why, I sort of knew that the motherboard would be an order of magnitude more challenging than the video card. Still, I understood that repairing the video card would be a crucial step on the way to the motherboard.

From what I've read, other people have tried--successfully--to solder new, better caps on their motherboards, with success (and with as much experience as I have lol). As with other endeavors, the learning curve is longer for me, out of worry that I'll screw it up, and because it can take a while to get my head inside what I'm doing. Again, that's the reason I choose to repair the video card first--I can learn on a smaller, less intimidating project.

Comment

Working...
                  X