Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP L1980W off after several minutes

Picked this up to fix today.....

When the unit was switched on for a 10 minutes of so it would then turn off and if you tried to turn it back on again it would only stay on for 0 - 2 seconds after that.

After cracking it open I tried a working CCFL in each of the monitors CCFL sockets to see if that was the cause. The monitor still switched off after 2 seconds. At first I didn't think that it could be a bad CCFL but after my past experiences with them I wanted to rule them out for sure so I tried 2 working CCFL's and then 2 of the original monitor ones and the back light came on and stayed on!

I tested both of the faulty ones individually one of them didn't work at all and the other one did work but I could hear a slight hissing noise from it that could not be heard from the others.

After taking the panel apart the 2 low voltage cable practically fell off the end of the tube so I re-soldered them on and the monitor is now up and running again! its been going for an hour strong so far.

Hopefully this post will help others to make sure that when you are testing things out you need to check and then double check. Otherwise it might cost you extra hours of your time and you may potentially start buying components that are not needed.

Something I learnt from re-soldering the cable to the CCFL was that if you very carefully cut off the shrink wrap holding the cables together then you can pull through a little extra cable to make the soldering easier and then pull the remaining cables back through the end to make sure that the cable is nice and tight.

Attached is a pic of the monitor running and a slight shot of a multimeter as we know how much retiredcaps likes them
    Attached Files
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: HP L1980W off after several minutes

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
    Attached is a pic of the monitor running and a slight shot of a multimeter as we know how much retiredcaps likes them
    Good job on the repair. It looks like you got the hang of doing the ccfl bulb end soldering now.

I believe that mistakes, like breaking a couple of ccfls, teaches you lessons you are not likely to forget.

I also noticed the high tech empty toilet paper roll. I know regulars have mentioned to use it to help localize noises.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Using AM transistor radio will be good pick up that arcing noise from that loose cable if you have bad ears or in the noisy area. Try out the radio on the working monitor so you will know what the normal working CCFL sounds like.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yeah I could hear a hissing noise coming from one of the corners. Luckily enough my uncle had been around earlier and managed to leave me an empty roll.

I used it to close down on exactly where the noise was coming from. Sure enough it was the same corner that had the loose connection.

I agree that mistakes do help however repairing the CCFL's is like trying to stack cards!

Comment

What's an AM transistor radio?

I have a digital one will that work?

Comment

Working...