Stubborn solder won't leave hole!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stubborn solder won't leave hole!

I've reached the conclusion that for really difficult spots, like an IPM off a plasma, the only way to do it is with a vacuum-desoldering gun or a high end desoldering gun... There's simply too much ground plane and the difficulty is compounded by the fact that the solder typically used is a really stubborn RoHS alloy...

And even with all that high end equipment, you still need to heat the IPM for a while before even attempting.

I've found that ChipQuick is really _REALLY_ expensive for what it is, and the only kinds of people I could see using it are those who need it for really-high end custom jobs where typical tools won't work.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

A paper clip has the right shape but is the wrong metal. Solder will stick to it. A paper clip bends too easily. You also don't get to choose the diameter of the paper clip so it won't work when the board makers match the hole diameter to the lead diameter.

Using the butt end of a drill bit solves all these problems. Chuck the drill into a pin vice to keep the sharp end from drilling you.

A vacuum desoldering tool will destroy as many pads as a soldering iron. Hot air is the great equalizer. Heat the board up to 150*C and it matters not how big the plane is. You can heat with air all day long and not damage anything.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

I am build a DIY Preheater. Will cost about 250 but is CPU controlled optoisolated SSR,
        Heat sink, 1300 Watt Milwaukee heat gun element, 23 CFM 110vac fan, digital readout
        Use industry standard 3°C/sec Preheat to 150°C. This should help alot. When finnished I will have on a post I already started
        Last edited by Ltank; 10-13-2013, 09:29 AM. Reason: spell check messed up wording

Comment

Working...
        X