X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO Bad Capacitors

BEHRINGER Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO Bad Capacitors
    BEHRINGER ULTRA-CURVE PRO Bad Capacitors

Here is another project, but this one is on stand by.

BEHRINGER Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO first.

As soon I finish to open this sucker (with infinite amount of knobs) the aha moment was just waiting for me. One capacitor leaking showing why the effects on the mixer doesn't work anymore.

Another bulged capacitors where found on the power supply. No brainer, I'll change those one too. To make the story short on the ULTRA-CURVE PRO, the same problem with the power supply.

Those capacitors are all from XUNDA. Looks like was reported on the Bad Capacitors list already, so no surprise for you guys.
    But the problem is not that. The problem is that this mixer have almost 200 capacitors... and all happen to be XUNDA capacitors.

The capacitors on for the mixers doesn't look bad at all. I've removed a couple of caps and they are good, looks good and tested good.

Should I change all the capacitors just because are Xunda?

This is not going to be a fun project at all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GateCap; 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM.

Re: Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO Bad Capacitors

I would replace all of the Xunda units on the power supply board.
    Recommended replacements are Nippon Chemi-Con KY (or KZM if you can get them), and for the 200/250/350/400/450V unit, Chemi-Con KMH/KMM/KMQ (snap-in) or KMG/KMQ (radial).
    I've seen Kaon KTF-200S set-top boxes with bad Xunda units on the power supply board, and none of the Xunda units were bulging on the main logic board.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

The one you circled in your second picture (the purple Xunda 220uF, 10v cap) may not be bad - the brown stuff on the side of the cap is just glue to hold in down during manufacturing.
      As for the power supply - yes, definitely change all the Xunda caps there.
      Use low ESR electrolytic caps. The following may be used:
      KY, KZE, LXY, and LXZ series from United Chemicon
      PW, PM, HE, and HD series from Nichicon
      FC, FK, and FM series from Panasonic
      YXG and ZL series from Rubycon
      RS series from Samxon

The only exception is the big 400v cap - this one can be replaced with any cap of the same voltage and capacitance rating. 85C rating is fine, but 105C is better. Another thing worth mentioning is these high voltage caps rarely fail. The fact that your looks bulged may also be because the plastic sleeve is warping due to age or heat. With your thumb, press down on the plastic sleeve on top. If you can't push it down easily, then it's probably bad.
      Last edited by momaka; 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Another thing worth mentioning is these high voltage caps rarely fail. The fact that your looks bulged may also be because the plastic sleeve is warping due to age or heat. With your thumb, press down on the plastic sleeve on top. If you can't push it down easily, then it's probably bad.
        Just to clarify you should feel the metal under, if you can push it down a bit and feel the metal being flat then it's fine, just the plastic cover being "bulged"

The caps on the power board fails because they become hotter than in the rest of the unit, and also have to work much harder
        The other caps are mostly for logic boards and signals, not much stress on them so will likely be fine a much longer time...
        Plus even if the time is worth nothing to you 200 capacitors will cost a little more than just pocket change! (i.e. is the unit really worth that kind of expense?)

Perhaps send a mail to the manufacturer, even if it is out of warranty you never know, they might just care a little bit about their reputation...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks guys, great feedback.

All power supply caps must go. I don't want to take chances and they are affecting the board already in a big way.

I am pretty much sure that all the problems that I have with the mixer is because the power supply.

I've been doing extensive testing with oscilloscope and multimeter today and my early conclusion is that the power supply is the only problem.

The audio problems and effects problems are not from the main board... *(thanks for catching the glue, that's the same assumption that I did with the M-Audio monitors)...

... and if this is the case I just save myself a lot of trouble.

I expent all morning testing capacitors and the main board and I can't find any problem. The power supply on the other hand is a disaster. I'm just waiting for the parts.

Thank you for all the advices !
          Last edited by GateCap; 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Plus even if the time is worth nothing to you 200 capacitors will cost a little more than just pocket change! (i.e. is the unit really worth that kind of expense?)
            Even if I have the time, I wouldn't. I am not that good soldering double side boards. Is something that I really should learn. I am having trouble already re-soldering two caps that I was testing. The power supply on the other hand is a regular board.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            Perhaps send a mail to the manufacturer, even if it is out of warranty you never know, they might just care a little bit about their reputation...
            I try this before with another problem and they basically gave me the contact of my local repair center. I have to assume that right now every Behringer made 4 years ago are having the same problem. At least that's what I've found on every Behringer power supply that I bought 4 years ago, and I am talking about 7 different models. That's basically my own Six Sigma lab right here.

Behringer has great engineering. Few people understand technically how good Behringer products are, but after this capacitors fiasco their reputation is really bad in US. Failing to communicate with consumers is a bad thing too. Try to find a Behringer users forum... don't bother.
            I think that's the difference between American companies vs European companies, but at the end of the day looks like a cultural issue.

Thanks for all.
            Last edited by GateCap; 08-12-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

What caps are you acquiring for the power supply? Make/series please.

This does use an SMPS, so cap selection is critical as indicated by japlytic and momaka.

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                What caps are you acquiring for the power supply? Make/series please.

This does use an SMPS, so cap selection is critical as indicated by japlytic and momaka.

Toast
                This is the list for the Mixer:

x2 1000uF / 25v (10mm dia / 20mm H) << EEU-FC1E102L / Panasonic

x1 150uF / 400v (25mm dia / 32mm H ) << EET-ED2G151CA / Panasonic

x2 100uF / 25v (6mm dia / 12mm h) << EEU-FC1E101S / Panasonic

x2 470uF / 16v / (8.25mm dia / 14mm h ) << EKY-160ETD471MH15S / United Chemi-Con (UCC)

x1 10uF / 25v (5.5mm dia / 11mm h) << EKMG250ELL100ME11D / United Chemi-Con (UCC)

x2 47uF / 63v (6.6mm / 12mm h) << EKMG630ELL470MF11D / United Chemi-Con (UCC)

... so far.
                Can't find Rubycon at Mouser, Digikey or Allied Electronics.
                Last edited by GateCap; 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

This is the list for the Mixer W/series:

x2 1000uF / 25v (10mm dia / 20mm H) << EEU-FC1E102L / Panasonic / FC

x1 150uF / 400v (25mm dia / 32mm H ) << EET-ED2G151CA / Panasonic / TS-ED

x2 100uF / 25v (6mm dia / 12mm h) << EEU-FC1E101S / Panasonic / FC

x2 470uF / 16v / (8.25mm dia / 14mm h ) << EKY-160ETD471MH15S / United Chemi-Con (UCC) / KY

x1 10uF / 25v (5.5mm dia / 11mm h) << EKMG250ELL100ME11D / United Chemi-Con (UCC) / KMG

x2 47uF / 63v (6.6mm / 12mm h) << EKMG630ELL470MF11D / United Chemi-Con (UCC) / KMG

Comment

Well, thank God I did a search for Behringer--I have the exact same issues as the OP, but I have the newer Xenyx 2442 FX. The desk hasn't worked right in months; the led meter section, whenever a signal hotter than -7 db or so was introduced, would simply flash or pulse on and off, all the lights going off at once. I finally took the thing apart, and the exact same caps in the power supply are bad--though the big one looks fine. Four caps are bulging on top; there are eight in all. Should I replace them all, to be safe? I'm going to search online and see if maybe I can get the whole power supply, but it seems likely I'll have to do the work replacing the caps.
                    I found this forum a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, replace all Xunda capacitors in the power supply, and additionally around the effects DSP and LED meter if it keeps acting up after you fix the PSU. The ones on the channel boards can stay (thank goodness!). I had a Behringer desk where i had to replace the DSP chip itself as it went bad due to too much ripple and kept crashing all the time.

Behringer just loves using those Xunda caps, they're in pretty much every device they make.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah, I was going to do that replacement by the effects dsp as well--but do I need to replace the big 150 uf one in the power supply? A poster upstream said that that one might not be bad--it's the ones near the 3 transistors and the directly behind the low voltage supply wires.

Comment

Originally posted by TimN View Post
                          Yeah, I was going to do that replacement by the effects dsp as well--but do I need to replace the big 150 uf one in the power supply?
                          Usually not.
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Great--thanks for the quick replies.

Comment

Hi,

I would also get rid of that gunk that was holding the cap on the mixer board. This stuff goes conductive after a few years and I find it unbelievable that some manufacturers still use it. Scrape it off with something plastic so it doesn't fracture the etch resist (assuming it hasn't eaten through it already).

Midibob

Comment

I wound up taking the power supply in to an electronics repair place and the guy replaced four caps only (presumably because these were the only bad ones), for $66.00. He looked at the thing and instantly said "bad caps" before I could even say anything. It's back in the mixer, and all is right again.

Comment

That's pretty expensive for just replacing a few bad caps. Not terribly so, but a bit more than i'd be willing to pay if i knew what the problem was, even if i did not have the tools to fix it myself.

Comment

please help me . thanks .

Hi
                                    Please help me.
                                    One kind to me and say how much the order of the output voltage of a power supply pins?
                                    Please answer faster.

What makes the mixer rips? Lds is off and caustic

very thanks.
                                    behringer UB2442FX-PRO

Comment

Originally posted by mehranpak View Post
                                      please help me . thanks .

Hi
                                      Please help me.
                                      One kind to me and say how much the order of the output voltage of a power supply pins?
                                      Please answer faster.

What makes the mixer rips? Lds is off and caustic

very thanks.
                                      behringer UB2442FX-PRO
                                      sorry edited by me
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I have just saved my Eurorack UB1204FX-PRO from the landfill. Or the other way around I guess. First post here. I must thank those before me who posted on the similar problems in other Behringer equipment. I replaced the caps on the list here but the switcher was not oscillating. So I replaced C10 and C13 and presto. Lucky nothing else was damaged when the supply went out of regulation. I have an updated parts list with digikey references:

C12, C16 1000uF / 25v (10mm dia / 30mm H / 5mm sp) << EEU-FC1E102L / Panasonic Digikey: P11223-ND qty 2

C7 150uF / 400v (25mm dia / 32mm H / 10mm sp) << EET-ED2G151CA / Panasonic Digikey: P11649-ND qty 1

C4, C5 100uF / 25v (6mm dia / 12mm h / 2.5mm sp) << EEU-FC1E101S / Panasonic Digikey: P10269-ND qty 2

C6, C9 470uF / 16v (8mm dia / 13mm h 3.5mm sp) << EEU-FR1C471 / Panasonic Digikey: P14394-ND qty 2

C2 10uF / 25v (5.5mm dia / 11mm h / 2mm sp) << EKMG250ELL100ME11D / United Chemi-Con Digikey: 565-1303-ND qty 1

C18, C19 47uF / 63v (6.6mm / 12mm h / 2.5mm sp) << EKMG630ELL470MF11D / United Chemi-Con Digikey: 565-1350-ND qty 2

C20 330uH/ 100v (13.1mm d/ 25.3mm h / 5mm sp) << UVR2A331MHD1TO /Nichicon Digikey: 493-12819-1-ND qty 1

C13 1uF/ 50v (5mm d/ 12.5mm h / 2mm sp) << UPV1H010MFD1TD / Nichicon Digikey: 493-11596-1-ND qty 1

C10 47uF/ 25v (5mm d / 11mm h / 2mm sp) << SK470M025ST / Cornel Dubilier Digikey: 338-1672-ND qty 1

I hope it helps someone else.

Cheers
                                        all
                                        Joe

Comment

Working...
                                        X