This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Of course Panasonic is NOT among the badcap brands but the other day I repaired an ASUS PVL-D DSual Xeon Serverboard that had 4 defective "KZG" (820uF 6.3V) on it which I replaced with Nichicon FP polymer capacitors.

On the board there are also 8 Panasonic 1500uF 6.3V 105° CFJ / 5NIIIUS capacitors that turned out to have a capacity of only 450uF - 750uF left and ESRs of about 0.6 Ohms.
    No visual signs of leakage / bulging could be found.

I replaced them with Nichicon HM of the same form factor (8x20mm) and the board is running perfectly again.

So I was a bit disappointed of the Pannies.

Comment

Originally posted by Majestyk View Post
      Of course Panasonic is NOT among the badcap brands but the other day I repaired an ASUS PVL-D DSual Xeon Serverboard that had 4 defective "KZG" (820uF 6.3V) on it which I replaced with Nichicon FP polymer capacitors.

On the board there are also 8 Panasonic 1500uF 6.3V 105° CFJ / 5NIIIUS capacitors that turned out to have a capacity of only 450uF - 750uF left and ESRs of about 0.6 Ohms.
      No visual signs of leakage / bulging could be found.

I replaced them with Nichicon HM of the same form factor (8x20mm) and the board is running perfectly again.

So I was a bit disappointed of the Pannies.
      Could have been poor design, or the PSU has bad capacitors too, stressing those pannasonics too much.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

How old were the caps? Nothing lasts forever, electrolytic capacitors in stressful applications especially (in addition to the normal stress of running 24x7x52, was the server "room" an uncooled closet or experience an air conditioner failure? a system fan failure somewhat recently?).

Failure after long use does not mean bad quality capacitors. Failure after compromised cooling does not mean bad quality capacitors.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I think youŕe right.
          The board has been running for nearly 10 years in a 19" 2HE case that had poor maintenance (that's why it had gathered quite an amount of dust).
          Since the 1500µ are spread all over the board, I guess the temperature in the whole case was considerably high.

So the Panasonics probably did what they are supposed to - stay healthy for their normal lifespan and then slowly loosing capacity and at the same time raising ESR.

What we can probably learn is, when it comes to older mainboards, even if they only have top quality capacitors on them they might be EOL and should be replaced if the board is to be used for another couple of years.

Best practise could be to take out a few samples of every capacitor type used and check if capacity and ESR still match the specified values. If a significant number fail - replace them all.

Comment

The board has been running for nearly 10 years in a 19" 2HE case that had poor maintenance (that's why it had gathered quite an amount of dust).
            Since the 1500µ are spread all over the board, I guess the temperature in the whole case was considerably high.
            Your comment about the location of the capacitors is an interesting and probably very good inference. ~96,000 hours - 10 years at ~9600 hours per year - is probably a very good life span for a series rated for 2000-3000 hours (at maximum rated ripple current and temperature).

If I recall correctly, special-built computer rooms are class 10,000 clean rooms, plus having dedicated air conditioners (if not water cooling). But servers often get located in communications closets that have poor temperature control, or other locations with poor temperature control and cleanliness. In electronics, heat is seldom a good thing, and dust and debris never are.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Ough.... Su'scon is badcaps manufactue.

I just open up my LCD monitor (used 3-4 years and still fine) yesterday and find full of Su'scon caps (primary, secondary, and start up caps). Did you think this is must to be recaps?
              "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
              Rudi
              Thank You

Comment

I don't think they're as bad as everyone thinks. My monitor is full of them, and my computer's PSU (from 1998) has a mixture of Su'scon, G-Luxon, and Teapo. The computer has trouble booting when it's cold outside, but the monitor was made in 2006 and still works. I have seen pictures of monitors with bad Su'scon caps. Replace them if you want to and have replacements already, but it isn't critical.
                Last edited by lti; 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                  I don't think they're as bad as everyone thinks. My monitor is full of them, and my computer's PSU (from 1998) has a mixture of Su'scon, G-Luxon, and Teapo. The computer has trouble booting when it's cold outside, but the monitor was made in 2006 and still works. I have seen pictures of monitors with bad Su'scon caps. Replace them if you want to and have replacements already, but it isn't critical.
                  thank you for advice. I think they're not bad too because I have using this monitor around 3-4 years and still no problem. Teapo and G-Luxon is bad as I think, I have two bad teapo from my motherboard (2-3years), many G-Luxon and Teapo from ATX psu that I repair. I don't have a good caps replacement for now so when I have good caps I would recaps it.

Best Regards
                  Rudi
                  Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by senz_90 View Post
                    Ough.... Su'scon is badcaps manufactue.

I just open up my LCD monitor (used 3-4 years and still fine) yesterday and find full of Su'scon caps (primary, secondary, and start up caps). Did you think this is must to be recaps?
                    I would keep your eyes open and at the first sign of trouble from the monitor I would replace ALL electrolytic capacitors

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

Yes, when I see just a small sign of bad monitor I will replace all caps to makes the monitor life longer.

Best Regards
                      Rudi
                      Thank You

Comment

i got given a LG flatron led 24 inch pc monitor not working opened it up and full of bulging Su'scon caps ,replaced all of them and its working perfectly again,

Comment

Originally posted by onex View Post
                          i got given a LG flatron led 24 inch pc monitor not working opened it up and full of bulging Su'scon caps ,replaced all of them and its working perfectly again,
                          When was the monitor manufactured? Haven't seen many LED based TVs/monitors with bad caps so far!
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

They are Su'scon caps, it could have been made in 2013 and failed. Anything with "VENT" on the label does that before anything else.

Comment

So Su'scon's are good in Indonesia (humid and high temperature, equatorial ring), but bad in Australia (dry and modest temperature - Melbourne ) and Colorado ( dry and /presumed/ low temperature )... Learned that on geography classes :-))... Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                They are Su'scon caps, it could have been made in 2013 and failed. Anything with "VENT" on the label does that before anything else.
                                Uh... I don't ever recall them being THAT bad though!
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by tmiha71 View Post
                                  So Su'scon's are good in Indonesia (humid and high temperature, equatorial ring), but bad in Australia (dry and modest temperature - Melbourne ) and Colorado ( dry and /presumed/ low temperature )... Learned that on geography classes :-))... Interesting...
                                  No, they're good in Colorado.

I have a used replacement power supply in the monitor that still has its original caps, and I don't remember where it came from.

Comment

[QUOTE=ben7;400274]When was the monitor manufactured? Haven't seen many LED based TVs/monitors with bad caps so far!

Interesting it says 2009 but he bought it last year brand new ,out of waranty now ,well its been going for 2 days and no problems ,i did some googling on this monitor and it had a few complaints,love this site as well getting back into all this after 15 years ,

Comment

whoa whoa... so the caps maybe good in one country, maybe bad in another country? depends on climate in the country?

Best Regards
                                      Rudi
                                      Thank You

Comment

ive heard the same thing before didnt think much of it but maybe theres something to it after all.

Comment

Yeh I seem them on that brand

Comment

Working...
                                          X