USB Linux & successful recap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Linux & successful recap!

My PCI USB card arrived today from HK. It uses the NEC chip. Installed it and it worked!
    Unlike the VIA device I was attempting to use.

This is for my Dual-370 Asus CUR-DLS board, that I totally recapped, but the onboard USB ports were dead.

I can't believe how responsive this board is after a recap - like night and day! I used Rubycons throughout.

Re: USB Linux & successful recap!

am i understanding that youre getting a performance increase from a recap. didnt know it was possbile...ok well glad it works well

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      am i understanding that youre getting a performance increase from a recap. didnt know it was possbile...ok well glad it works well
      It's possible if the board was malfunctioning due to bad caps. Replacing the caps restores the board to its original performance level.

Comment

if overclocking, new caps have been known in some cases to stabilize core voltages, resulting in a better overclock... so yes, recapping can boost a board's performance past when it was new (not all the time)
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Via sh!t suckw

Comment

Thought you had more useful things to say after your 3-day vacation.

Sure VIA might not be the best thing since sliced bread but for some types of systems they are the only choice. Intel clobbered the i815 to only take 512MB SDRAM maximum so that the POS Pentium 4 can sell. Otherwise it had all the goodies, USB 2.0, ATA133, AGP 4x. Well, at that time, VIA made chipsets with all that AND support for 4GB.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It would be a rare i815 board that had USB 2.0 on-board.
              I'm not even aware of any.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Only VIA thing I have ever had issues with was Ethernet controllers.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

There are many problems when there's high bandwidth devices in use and VIA cannot cope with it due to internal design not designed properly.

That what happens very often with creative audio cards.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

My first lga775 system was a core2 e6600, which is nice (better thsn usually what i have), but it was bottlenecked by VIA SHITSET(oops i meant chipset),...

I have used via stuff sccessfully. But i still prfer not to

Comment

i'v never had a problem, maybe it's drivers.
                      what i DONT like is Intel chipsets.

and most dead boards i see are intel chipset p4 junk.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        and most dead boards i see are intel chipset p4 junk.
                        Height of the bad caps era.
                        Imagine that...

I've never had -significant- problems with Intel or VIA chipsets.
                        Maybe a minor annoyance here or there I had to work around, but nothing major.

I don't trust SIS or nVidia at all. I don't consider them keepers.
                        If one shows up that works I flip it on to someone else. [Sell it.]

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

CUR-DLS...

I saw a guy running 2 x Tualatins on that with some modified slotkets. He used thin but highly dense copper heatsinks so that the first slot would fit. I wonder if his page is still on the net. 2 x 1.7ghz Tualatins.... Drool. I bet it would show my Prescott a thing or two.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

A Pentium M is basically a Tualatin reworked for laptops.
                            Plenty of MODT boards take them and you get up to 2.16GHz, native USB 2.0, 400 or 533 FSB, DDR or DDR2, and low power use.
                            [And it will show your Prescott a thing or two.]
                            Most of them [Pentium-M MODT boards] use i855GM, i855GME or variants of the i915 chipset.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

yep, SiS is bin material, i just desolder the battery holder, fets & any other interesting stuff like sata sockets & bin them.

same with PC-Chips crap.

i dont mind Nvidia as long as they arent cooked, i just put a big copper sink & fan on them and they seem o.k.
                              although i noticed within seconds the first time i got one that you burn your damned fingers on the original laughable sink.

Comment

SiS are lame\slow chipsets, but they do work. I mean, forget overclocking etc I guess but for the most part they are just fine.

I reckon most people hate them because they are cheap, and thus go on cheap boards with cheap capacitors etc which is not the fault of SiS.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  It would be a rare i815 board that had USB 2.0 on-board.
                                  I'm not even aware of any.
                                  it was the i845 with the ICH4 southbridge that started off with USB 2.0. an i845 with say an ICH2 southbridge did not have USB 2.0 support.
                                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

my hp thin client 1ghz "geode" amd cpu, fanless pc has a sis chipset. the chipset runs far hotter than the cpu. wierd huh?

Comment

that has more to do with heatsinks... chipset heatsinks tend to run hot... i have fan modded them before...

ps- YAY! post #4500
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

yay! post 932

edit: notice something odd about my post count numbers in the following screen shot?

edit2: its a jpeg btw
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by shovenose; 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X