Sun X7202A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun X7202A

I have a rather interesting problem here. I have an LCD screen that seems to work function normally initially when first turned on, but after after about 10 mins to a few hours it has this banding issue on the right 1/7th of the screen. If I power it off for about 5-20 mins depending on how long it's been on, it goes back to normal after turn it back on. I'm no expert but I'm thinking something with the green board that drives the LCD.

What do you guys think?

Many thanks.

edit: I looked for the name of the green board 1970NX_NOUSB, and apparently it's a rebranded NEC 1970NX
    Attached Files
    Last edited by funkster; 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM. Reason: more info

Re: Sun X7202A

Hi You are possibly correct though it could be the panel end that has the problem..
    Have you tried cleaning the cable where it fits to the panel or even reseating where it fits
    to the green board.
    To see if it is heat related can you try heating the green board in sections with a hair dryer
    to see if it makes the banding occur quicker. ( Not too hot and only for a couple of minutes each section)
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Hi You are possibly correct though it could be the panel end that has the problem..
      Have you tried cleaning the cable where it fits to the panel or even reseating where it fits
      to the green board.
      To see if it is heat related can you try heating the green board in sections with a hair dryer
      to see if it makes the banding occur quicker. ( Not too hot and only for a couple of minutes each section)
      Thanks ill try the blow dryer thing tommorow, I also have a small portable butane soldering iron with a heat gun attachment, might be more efficient as I can control the temperature and direct it to different parts, whereas a blow dryer will just blow air everywhere. I also noticed that the plug on the LCD screen end was a tiny bit out, as you'll see from the new photos. I'll have to see if that was the cause.

edit: On second thought I'll try the blow dryer first, I don't want to accidentally fry some component on the board lol.

edit2: The pushing back in of the cable into the LCD didn't help.
      Last edited by funkster; 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Hmm - just looked again at the additional pics you suggested 1 seventh of the screen was banded - does it always band in the same place?- there are 8 tab bonds on the screen so if it was 1 eighth it suggests a problem with the end tab?- try pressing it very gently to see if it makes a difference.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Hmm - just looked again at the additional pics you suggested 1 seventh of the screen was banded - does it always band in the same place?- there are 8 tab bonds on the screen so if it was 1 eighth it suggests a problem with the end tab?- try pressing it very gently to see if it makes a difference.
          Your absolutely right, it is 1/8th of the screen, I opened it up and when I press down on that tab that corresponds to the 1/8th part of the screen & it makes it worse. Is it possible to fix this?

edit: funny that after I turn it off for 15 mins when it goes back to normal, and I proceed to press on that same tab, I can't force it to show banding. What causes this? Does the heat somehow cause the tab to expand or become less conductive?
          Last edited by funkster; 05-17-2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.
            In answer to your last query - I dont know. Momaka knows a lot about screens. If you search tab bond in the "search" above you might find some info. If no other members come forward with ideas/advice start a new thread
            with the heading something like "Can Tab Bonds be repaired"

Comment

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.
              In answer to your last query - I dont know. Momaka knows a lot about screens. If you search tab bond in the "search" above you might find some info. If no other members come forward with ideas/advice start a new thread
              with the heading something like "Can Tab Bonds be repaired"
              Oh well, thanks for your help. It hasn't been banding on it's own ever since I turned it off the last time I mentioned. Now when I press on the tab it does it a little, but as I keep on holding it it goes away.

I think I might try and cut out some spongy foam and try to sit in in between both metal plates and see if it holds it down enough to stop it from happening.
              Last edited by funkster; 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Just a quick update, the putting in foam didn't work. It started showing the banding again after about an hour. Though the following evening I took it apart again and took out the foam to find that it had gotten so compressed. I thought what could I try next. How about I try and use my heat gun on it. I put it on full and began to quickly heat the tab bond moving the heat gun side to side and testing with my finger to feel how hot the tab is getting, after a few times I got it to show banding but it was a little different colors, was changing, so I quickly stopped heating and compressed the tab with my fingers until I got it's temperature back down. I put the LCD back together and it's been working the past 12 hours without any banding happening on the screen!

Time will tell if it's actually going to stay that way. I'm thinking that maybe if I turn it off and let it cool down and then heat up again it might start banding again.

Comment

Update 2: It's been a litttle more than a week and the LCD hasn't banded since. I guess the compresiion and then heating up of the tab bond has fixed it

Comment

Working...
                  X