Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which ESR Meter - On a budget

Originally posted by popeye View Post
    Peak Electronics ESR70 no doubt about it.
    It has a limit at 2000uF, but the point is how perfect some one cares to be an such device.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
      It has a limit at 2000uF, but the point is how perfect some one cares to be an such device.
      I think you mean 22000uf, if it were 2000uf it would be useless.

Comment

The ESR meters with fixed frequensy they have such limits.
        The higher the test frequensy = lesser measuring range.
        Check the data sheet.

Comment

That is wrong. An ESR meter with a fixed frequency can be a very useful instrument.
          Please do not forget we do not care about precision but being able to tell a working capacitor apart from a failed one.
          And 100kHz meters are good for both.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If you buy a ESR meter with capacity measurement and you do not care about the second, this is different story.

There is no right and wrong opinions, only data sheets.
            And unfortunately for the many, many data sheets of capacitors they do not offer ESR as a primary comparison point, but Dissipation Factor instead.

Comment

Poor LCD resolution regarding ESR.
              When you refer to ESR display resolution as "LCD resolution," that's your opinion, datasheet or no datasheet. It has nothing to do with LCD resolution, nor vice versa.

When I say this: for the most part, technicians don't need the funtionality of an LCR to perform capacitor checks if they use an ESR meter instead, that would be my opinion. IOW, an LCR adds almost nothing new to the measurement final result for the repair tech. If you were a circuit designer, then yes, you would probably need an LCR, especially for analog designs. A data sheet doesn't tell you that.
              Last edited by MDOC; 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

LCD resolution (or a device capable using a total of resolution in counts )it is a measurable aspect.

Just say that you are happy with a resolution of 100 counts.
                I will naturally disagree and say that I like to have 1000 counts, which is what most recent data sheet uses.

Even the most expensive portable LCR (200 - 300$) it can pay for it self in just 15 repairs that some will perform.

The LCR vs single ESR is an unworthy reason for debates, it is like debating if a half solution is better than the complete.
                But either way I am just offering an opinion so to be evaluated by its one individually.
                We are not all alike in knowledge / Needs / Way of thinking.

Comment

LCD resolution (or a device capable using a total of resolution in counts )it is a measurable aspect.
                  A measureable aspect of what? The Liquid Crystal Display?

We are not all alike in knowledge / Needs / Way of thinking.
                  Well, yours stand out rather like a sore thumb, so I can easily see why. It fosters confusion in peer groups and in forums like this. Also, your English is not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by MDOC View Post
                    Also, your English is not that good.
                    That is extremely harsh - how good is your Greek? - we do not normally
                    slag people off if English is not their first language.
                    In fact I'd say your remark is bordering on offensive.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by ohmmy View Post
                      I've seen these on eBay. All shipped from china. Anyone experience any problems by this? I've read feedback of sellers and a lot of US customers claim they never received them.
                      I got one of these but mine doesn't test for esr, I guess I'll have to buy a new one. I really like this tester specially for the price also it saves me a lot of time identifying through hole and surface mount components with no markings.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        That is extremely harsh - how good is your Greek? - we do not normally
                        slag people off if English is not their first language.
                        In fact I'd say your remark is bordering on offensive.
                        If I wanted to be offensive, you'd be outraged, judging from your response. I was being polite.

Yes, I understand it's a second language. That's not the point. Some English-speaking people don't have good enough English to avoid confusion which can sometimes muddy up understanding of the context, especially if electronics jargon is involved, or even misuse of some jargon.

Comment

If I wanted to be offensive, you'd be outraged, judging from your response. I was being polite.
                          For you village with a population of 30,000 you could be good enough.
                          For an International community you are not yet.

Yes, I understand it's a second language. That's not the point. Some English-speaking people don't have good enough English to avoid confusion which can sometimes muddy up understanding of the context, especially if electronics jargon is involved, or even misuse of some jargon.
                          Nicely said and I will agree and this has to do with even native English speaking people.

The question is ? Are you Open Minded enough so to establish a useful dialog with some one with a total different culture than yours ?
                          You an sisters they were, and today the Americans use Chinese invented gunpowder.

If you have lost me with the above example, I will use a simpler, the language is a bridge for basic communication, if you care for 100% perfect terminology (jargon) then visit a local professor and forget the forums.

By the way the English people invented also the word Gentleman, been just polite it does make you one.
                          Receive my response as positive reaction, even if the words are not that fine so keep you calm and happy.

Comment

Well, yours stand out rather like a sore thumb, so I can easily see why. It fosters confusion in peer groups and in forums like this. Also, your English is not that good.
                            WTF?

Jeez! I don't always agree with Kiriakos, but his English is fine. OK it wouldn't pass Mrs. Henderson's English class tests, but it's perfectly understandable.
                            If you can't understand it, then you have a comprehension problem.
                            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

The question is ? Are you Open Minded enough so to establish a useful dialog with some one with a total different culture than yours ?
                              Yes, and I've done this already in several countries overseas in the past related to my field. But culture doesn't mean a change in electronics discipline and theory, though it may mean a different understanding. This misunderstanding is what I'm talking about.

Taiwan, for example, have one foot in old-world-mindset approach to implementing technology, and the other foot in new technology designed with a Western mindset.

Comment

Yes, and I've done this already in several countries overseas in the past related to my field.
                                I have done this too locally with foreign teams which came to support their Greek customers. But the 70% of those regarding communication in another language, was good only to make signals by moving their hands. :-)

Taiwan, for example, have one foot in old-world-mindset approach to implementing technology, and the other foot in new technology designed with a Western mindset.
                                Greece is as crossroad between Asia and Europe for ages, for some reason Taiwan has this Western mindset since 80s, and this helped them allot in their trade and the goods regarding higher quality standards.
                                When I receive those days evaluation samples from Taiwan and they come with Made in USA batteries and American High-volt fuses, plus calibrated by Fluke calibrators, I get a feeling of extra confidence.
                                The same confidence that you get when you taste High quality produced in Greece olive oil.

We got OT but who cares.. Lol

Comment

Greece is as crossroad between Asia and Europe for ages, for some reason Taiwan has this Western mindset since 80s, and this helped them allot in their trade and the goods regarding higher quality standards.
                                  Taiwan has a Western mindset because they like it, they like the U.S., and they like their technology. And the U.S. has a military policy of defense in case of military conflict. I used to fly there to fulfill contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                  X