Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor wizard how to?

Hi,
    Is anyone familiar with this meter that could help me understand how is it used for testing transistors, diodes and shorts on the PCB?

These are some of the extra uses that are described in the user's manual but without much detail that a beginner like me could understand.

thanks!

Re: Capacitor wizard how to?

Simply put, it just measures really low resistance. I used mine back in '94 or so to find 2 broken lines on a rear window defroster. These were hairline cracks that I couldn't see.
    Because parallel tracks were fine, the whole thing reads like a dead short unless you can measure really low ohms. I forget how low the reading were. I basically ran the probes about an inch apart and slid them along the track until I saw the reading change.

To find something like a shorted cap on a circuit board, you'd measure various points and theoretically as you get closer to the short the resistance will be lower.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Re: Capacitor wizard how to?

Thank you Smason.

Comment

Working...
      X