Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus P4SD-LA ver 1.06

Originally posted by junktv View Post
    Since then it's had a hang. Another boot issue when it hits grub error. I may slap another drive of un known condition in it and see if it still does it.
    Ouch.
    What are you using for video output? Onboard IGP or a separate AGP/PCI GPU?

My soldering iron is old and cheap. No matter if i used a new tip or one i ground and tinned it wanted to pull it off. That's why i wanted to check it.
    Ah, okay, I can totally understand that. When I did the P4SD for those HP DC5000 mini-PCs, I started with a 35 Watt iron. That was just about good enough for doing all of the caps, except those next to the CPU (i.e. CPU Vcore). For that, I had to use my 70 Watt soldering station. The caps around the CPU have quite thick copper traces around them, so you really need a good iron and tip for that. Glad you were able to pull it all off. Not having the right equipment can make a job like this very tiring very quick.

Then add a 2.8 p4 running at 50C seems hot for a intel. Dropped a few with the side cover off.
    Yes, that's about right for a socket 478 Prescott. IIRC, most of the HP DC5000 PCs I tested ran around 45-50C idle and up to 55-58C under heavy load. And this was with an all-copper CPU heatsink (no heat pipes though).

Oh yeah that is another thing i may have forgot to wash the ram. I'm a smoker so everything gets nasty.
    Yea, the tar dust can definitely mess with contacts and pins.

Comment

Then add a 2.8 p4 running at 50C seems hot for a intel. Dropped a few with the side cover off.

I'm shocked it works. Thanks guys.

Oh yeah that is another thing i may have forgot to wash the ram. I'm a smoker so everything gets nasty.
      Is it a Northwood? Northwoods seem to run hot for the wattage they are...

I had a problem with a Northwood often idling at 45 C... (113 F)
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-27-2016, 11:19 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Using agp gpu.

Here is the CPU.
        www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6WJ.html

No other issues yet.

Comment

Using agp gpu.

Here is the CPU.
          www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6WJ.html
          So that's a P4 Northwood with HT - nice!

What GPU are you using, by the way?

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Is it a Northwood? Northwoods seem to run hot for the wattage they are...

I had a problem with a Northwood often idling at 45 C... (113 F)
          IDK , but you are the only person who complains that Northwood chips are hot.

There is no seems or looks about this. Prescott is a 89 Watt TDP CPU that uses 100 Watts max. Northwood, on the other hand are generally 70 Watt TDP CPUs that use no more than 80 Watts.

That said, if you really are seeing high temps for your Northwood CPUs, it may have a lot to do with the heatsink design. When Intel introduced the Prescott, they also beefed up the heatsink specs for it - partly because of the higher TDP and partly because of the lower rated max temperature for Prescott (before it throttles, that is). So that's why you might "see" an older Northwood or Willamate run hotter.

Comment

It's a beastly NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 64mb 8x. lol I have a 128mb version but it died.

Had another freeze and wouldn't boot. Repaired grub and seems to be good now. Not sure why it's locking up though. The ram passes and is 2x 256 and 2x 512 of i think 2700 or 3200.

The cooler is similar to what is on my amd 4200 x2 and it runs about 30c ish at idle with fresh paste. Don't have conky or anything on it so not sure what it is running.
            Attached Files

Comment

Had another freeze and wouldn't boot. Repaired grub and seems to be good now. Not sure why it's locking up though.
              HDD alright? Any bad or pending sectors? Anything under Ultra CRC Error Count? Also worth checking your Even Log if you are running a Windows OS.

It's a beastly NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 64mb 8x. lol I have a 128mb version but it died.
              Probably ran too hot for its own good. You can try a "ghetto" reflow and see if that makes it come back to life. IIRC, those use leaded solder, so it shouldn't be as hard to heat as current LF PCBs.

Comment

Only has linux. It's a old 30gb ibm. All looks good but does show 3 bad sectors.

Comment

It's a old 30gb ibm.
                  Might want to check the model number then. Certain IBM HDDs are known for having a high failure rate. IIRC, 75GXP and 120GPX series are the worst. I have a DTLA-307020 (75GXP), and it likes to get corrupt buffer when it runs too hot... and that is sometimes followed with my PC locking up.

Comment

Working...
                  X