SSD recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SSD recommendations

For the future users that may read this.

I run 3 Intel 320 Series in my desktop and two laptops. I did the firmware update after backing up the drives first, just in case. Two Samsungs and a Kingston. I put a 160Gb Intel SSD in the desktop I built for my brother with a I7 2600. It is fast.
    2 weekends ago I backed it up and updated the firmware. Last weekend I restored from the backup due to virus issues.

None of these are SATA6 but they work.
    I bought originally based on user reviews and reliability ratings from the internet.

BTW the Intel 320 series has a 5 year warranty upgraded from the original 3 year. They must trust it too.
    Last edited by TBoneit; 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Had a little time to try this out now and jeez it's fast! A bit of fettling to do but I'm well impressed with the difference between this SSD and my original HDD's.
      I only wish I could afford another one...
      System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Congratz on your SSD
        Think it's worth getting for my Lenovo laptop? It is like the slowest freaking thing ever... I think it's the 5400RPM hard drive. It should be blazing fast with 6GB of RAM and a 2.9GHz Quad processor...But it's hella slow!

Comment

After installing mine I now reckon it's a no-brainer. Obviously it's another expense but if you can afford a new SSD then go for it, it should make your Lenovo fly.
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

This tech is too new. I won't touch it.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

D,
              What you think of this one?
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167050
              P,
              but... it's FAST!
              Last edited by shovenose; 11-20-2011, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                P,
                but... it's FAST!
                Not when it's broke.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Shovey, I would have preferred the 320 Series, it's the newer version of what I have, but I couldn't get 160GB anywhere near as cheaply as I got this one.

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                  This tech is too new. I won't touch it.
                  All tech starts off as being 'new' - your HDD's were once new and unproven tech. I think SSD's are amazing, to me the biggest drawback is the price but as with most things in the world of modern tech the price is dropping all the time.

Comment

I've had my Corsair Force for a year now, no issues at all.
                    Because it's new tech, I broke one of my normal rules and got the extended warranty. 3 years, instant replacement. If that model is obsolete I get whatever equivalent is current. $10.00 worth of piece of mind.
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

OK so any other opinions on the linked to SSD?
                      I've got enough $ to pay for it right now but I don't want to empty out my bank accuont. Gonna wait until Saturday when I cna put some paychecks in the bank...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167050
                      Only thing I'm worried about is the 8MB bug...

Comment

shovey have a look at this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4625/i...-8mb-power-bug

Should put you more at ease

Comment

And this:

http://www.techspot.com/news/44694-i...available.html

Comment

Given my shitty Transcend 32GB IDE drive ($115 from Newegg.com) is working fine after like 10 different OS installs) and now running Windows 2000 (probably no TRIM support) I think I feel comfortable with a much better and more mature Intel drive...
                            I'll get it ASAP...

Comment

Ever notice how people that build race engines don't put one in the car they drive to work.
                              That's because they understand the difference between a tool and a toy.
                              They also don't do things like like get the biggest [whatever], they get parts that are appropriate to the other other parts in the build.
                              That's because they understand performance has more to do with parts working well -together- [well matched] than it does with maxing out individual parts and not upgrading the rest.
                              [An SSD ain't going to help you if it's on a conventional PCI bus that's capped at 133MB/s. And yeah, people do that and -think- they've improved something by throwing $$$ at it. - Don't believe it? Go look up standard PCI to SDD adapters. There are lots of them.]
                              Sticking an SSD in a PC that isn't optimized in other areas [FSB, CPU cache, RAM, BUS bandwidth] is the PC equivalent of sticking a 'ricer' muffler on a Civic and saying: "WOO HOO! I got better performance!".
                              The HDD speed is only one element of overall performance and it's not an especially large one except when doing system maintence.
                              So far as overall performance, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck improving FSB speed, CPU cache, maxing RAM, paying attention to bus loading and tweaking the OS.
                              When the difference between one device and another is not humanly perceivable in normal use and you can only tell there even is a difference by running benchmark programs the device is overkill for the application, you aren't getting any real world benefit from it, and you wasted you money on bragging rights for a benchmark result.
                              WOO HOO! This loud obnoxious muffler is gonna give me 3 more horse power!
                              CAN YOU ~FEEL~ THE SURGE OF POWER!!!
                              Is a fast drive going to help with:
                              -
                              Downloading?
                              Not likely. Is normally capped by connection speed, LAN speed, the LAN chip, or the bus speed of the LAN chip.
                              Not to mention the server you are downloading -from- probably isn't using SSDs.
                              -
                              Watching videos?
                              No. If you're smart about file types Full HD can be done at 20-30MB/s [or less] so an old DMA/33 drive is technically adequate.
                              -
                              Woo Hoo! Files get into RAM quicker. That helps for a fraction of a second.
                              -
                              Woo Hoo! When I move whole directories it's faster. [Or things like CHKDSK.] Those are not 'normal use', they are maintenance, and if you are doing that so often it matters then you have other problems you should be fixing first. AND - SSDs are rather small so they are a really dumb choice if bulk storage management is what you're concerned with.
                              -
                              The OS starts faster?
                              Maybe slightly but other optimizations will get you more. And like that extra 20 seconds once or a few times a day is gonna kill ya.
                              Is a $100+Plus really worth it for that?
                              -
                              Gaming?
                              Other optimizations will get you more. The first generations of X-box used UMDA/100 drives. They only really changed to get smaller cables/connectors, because IDE is fading out and for marketing purposes. [Marketing purposes = bragging rights. Looks good to gullible people in an ad.].
                              And: It's not my 'thing' but I imagine you can get a WHOLE non-PC game system for the cost of an SSD.
                              -
                              -
                              You can have have two otherwise identical systems, one with UDMA/100 and one with SATA/3GHz mechanical drives at 7200RPM. Once up and running in normal use you won't be able to tell the difference. That's because in normal use improvements past UDMA/100 aren't enough for your senses to notice the difference. So, IMHO, upgrading the HDD even more won't get you anything worth while unless your concern is faster system maintenance.
                              The only sensible application I can think of for SSD is to reduce heat in a laptop that has issues with heat.
                              Frankly I'd get a different model laptop....
                              Now, if the system is totally a toy then an SSD is fine.
                              There is nothing wrong with enthusiast systems.
                              But if performance is your real goal [vice bragging or keeping up with the Jones'] then the -WHOLE- system should be optimized from the start.
                              Adding one part to a marginal system isn't the way to do it.
                              Race cars and Hot Rods [at least good ones] are built from the tires up.
                              Every part is considered in relation to the other parts.
                              The methodology to Hot Rod a PC isn't much different.
                              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

OK

Comment

Actually PCBONEZ, it isn't thoroughput that matters, it's latency. Your hard disk has latency in the ms. An SSD has latency in the <1 ms. When looking for small files, that latency is important otherwise the hard disk spends it's time looking for the files more than copying them. It's the reason why a laptop drive running at 4200rpm feels slower than a 7200rpm drive despite the 4200 perhaps being newer and having greater platter density (and hence the maximum thoroughput is greater). In games when running at high FPS small stutters when loading from the hard disk can be obvious and annoying. Some of this is down to bad engine design and not streaming enough into RAM in advance (Oblivion, I'm looking at you) but some if it is because games need to fit into the memory availiable of the day.

I also find your talk of optimisation strange. If you're loading up say, Word 2010 (Which is far faster on an SSD) it doesn't really matter if the CPU is a celeron (I mean core 2 duo based and above, not the netburst crap) or a Core i7 2nd generation 8 core monster. RAM is cheap so you've already stocked up on ram, DDR3 is peanuts and 8gb can be aquired for relatively little.

You say other optimisations will get you more in games. I'd like to know what those are, but in the meantime here's a benchmark:

http://www.techspot.com/review/383-o...ssd/page5.html

It compares a variety of SSDs to the Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drive. Nothing particularly good or bad about that drive, it's a fair drive for comparison. Notice the obvious loading time improvements. Even in games. The multiple application load test (using real applications) is of interest. Of course the importance to the user depends obviously on their wealth and their application. If I was surfing the internet then I wouldn't give a hoot about the hard disk installed, but if the specific applicationd demanded it, and I had deep enough pockets, I'd purchase one.

As for laptops, there's a few reasons why you might want to purchase one. Having no moving parts, they're more resilient. Even with modern hard drives having a G sensor and docking the disk head it's better to just having something that doesn't spin platters.
                                  It's not heat so much as power consumption. Getting consumption down is key. As an example, some low-power DDR3 was found to use 1w less than standard DDR3 modules. Pointless? In a desktop, yes, in a netbook where the overall power profile is only 10w, well actually there you'll see yourself get more battery life. Even the expanded battery may not be enough and these can come in there.

At the end of it all, it depends entirely on your needs and the size of your wallet.

(As a sub-note, now that the price of HDDs has rocketed due to flooded factories this could push SSD tech faster now that they look more attractive to corporate customers)

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                                    Actually PCBONEZ, it isn't thoroughput that matters, it's latency. Your hard disk has latency in the ms.
                                    You don't get throughput until after latency is finished.
                                    IOW: Latency time is part of and included in -actual- throughput.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

But, if my brand new laptop is so fucking slow I want to punch it, and it's the HDD that's the bottleneck, then a SSD would do wonders and WOULD BE WORTH IT! right?
                                      I know it's the HDD because the little HDD light is always going crazy...

Comment

Just go for it Shovey, I doubt you will regret it - I'm chuffed to bits with mine. For starters installing the OS and all updates, SP1 etc. took a fraction of the time it did onto a HDD. And a 2.5" SSD is easy to transplant from your laptop into a PC if you wanted
                                        Last edited by dumpystig; 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I will buy it just trying to convince PCBONEZ that they are useful additions to any PC

Comment

Working...
                                          X