This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

I don't yet have pictures, I'll get them later, but on one of those optiplex 320s that had the non-failed rubycons, I grabbed one to mess around with, and after installing ubuntu I realized the power supply fan had completely seized- and it probably had been that way for a while. This prescott powered computer had had a failed power supply fan for sometime and it was still working! I pulled the old Dell power supply and am going to stick an older good bestec in it. Out of curiosity, I opened it up to see if any of the caps had failed. Not unexpectedly, it was full of bulging Ltec and Teapos.

In other words, not only had those Rubycon MCZs survived the heat of the prescott that killed every board with KZJs, but it also survived what had to be significantly elevated ripple from the power supply too.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
      I don't yet have pictures, I'll get them later, but on one of those optiplex 320s that had the non-failed rubycons, I grabbed one to mess around with, and after installing ubuntu I realized the power supply fan had completely seized- and it probably had been that way for a while. This prescott powered computer had had a failed power supply fan for sometime and it was still working! I pulled the old Dell power supply and am going to stick an older good bestec in it. Out of curiosity, I opened it up to see if any of the caps had failed. Not unexpectedly, it was full of bulging Ltec and Teapos.

In other words, not only had those Rubycon MCZs survived the heat of the prescott that killed every board with KZJs, but it also survived what had to be significantly elevated ripple from the power supply too.
      A Bestec? *cringes*

The increased temps from the bad fan probably caused the caps to fail. It seems Delta (if this is a Delta made PSU, it might also be Hipro) manages to use Ltec caps with a moderately low failure rate.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

STOP!!!! DO NOT PUT A BESTEC IN THERE AT ALL!!!!! THOSE BESTECS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO KILL MOTHERBOARDS WITH THE 5VSB VOLTAGE GOING SKY-HIGH!!! AGAIN, DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER INSTALL A BESTEC PSU WITHOUT REMOVING THIS ISSUE!!!

/endwarning
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
          The power supply was likely a Hipro with a seized ADDA (or maybe Suppered or Sunon?) fan if Ltecs and Teapos were present and bulged inside the unit (likely LZP, LZG, or LXY, and SC series). And the only way to really know if those MCZs are still good is to pull them and measure them on an ESR meter. Capacitors can fail without any signs evident to the sensory as well.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          STOP!!!! DO NOT PUT A BESTEC IN THERE AT ALL!!!!! THOSE BESTECS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO KILL MOTHERBOARDS WITH THE 5VSB VOLTAGE GOING SKY-HIGH!!! AGAIN, DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER INSTALL A BESTEC PSU WITHOUT REMOVING THIS ISSUE!!!

/endwarning
          Umm... only one Bestec PSU has that "issue" by default and that's the ATX-250-12E. Pretty sure that's not the model he used in that SFF system.
          Last edited by Wester547; 06-21-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

It's a shame the ATX-250-12E tainted their name forever. Overall, Bestec designs very good PSUs. It's just the tan glue that ruins them. The newer ones use the white glue and are excellent for recapping, because they come with 100% CapXon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
              Umm... only one Bestec PSU has that "issue" by default and that's the ATX-250-12E. Pretty sure that's not the model he used in that SFF system.
              Originally posted by Pentium4
              It's a shame the ATX-250-12E tainted their name forever. Overall, Bestec designs very good PSUs. It's just the tan glue that ruins them.
              ^ What those two quotes say is 100% true.

Only the ATX-250-12E is a motherboard killer. The ATX-250-12Z and ATX-300-12E (similar looking models, aren't they? ) are both solid performers.

Originally posted by Pentium4
              The newer ones use the white glue and are excellent for recapping, because they come with 100% CapXon.
              They do indeed. However, the two I worked on had Chemicon KZE on the 5VSB. Go figure. I bet Bestec knows why. The rest was, CapXon, unfortunately... or fortunately??

Comment

and even the atx250-12e is fine with a simple recap.
                i use a 22@50 fc on the "death cap".
                have one in 24/7 now for 5 years.that cap is still in spec.
                a bit of carb cleaner softens the yellow/brown glue so i can pick it off.
                these units contributed to the bad name of emachines no doubt!
                maybe this was their failed attempt to test acceptance of the "dixie cup pc".
                use it a year and throw it away.

Comment

Ahh E-Machines?
                  That explains why I used to come across so many with fried motherboards a few years ago now...you learn something new every day !

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post

/endwarning
                    Bestec is synonymous with quality, .
                    That is the worst source I've seen. I have not seen any fry a computer, but to stop sending voltage yes.

I do not know if Bestec designs good sources, but I have seen, all without exception have been damaged ... and have not killed by swollen capacitors. I do not recommend it as a manufacturer so bad it is.
                    Here in Spain they are usually put in HP.

off topic,
                    For me as a Fotron, there is none. I have one with almost nine years, and many years working.
                    Bye
                    Gaming pc:
                    nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                    Workshop PC:
                    Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                    Server:

Comment

Fortrons go regularly bad because of bad caps. After recap quite decent units though, I have many on stock to refurbish. Got caps available for them, if you need, just let me know.
                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

My contribute..... Facon 10000uf 100 VDC from Montarbo w20a amplified speaker
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Simpletek View Post
                          My contribute..... Facon 10000uf 100 VDC from Montarbo w20a amplified speaker
                          Hahah, good one!
                          "Facon"
                          Fake-capacitor? xD

I bet it made a mess though :S

-Ben
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                            Hahah, good one!
                            "Facon"
                            Fake-capacitor? xD

I bet it made a mess though :S

-Ben
                            seems to be real http://facon.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                              It's a shame the ATX-250-12E tainted their name forever. Overall, Bestec designs very good PSUs. It's just the tan glue that ruins them. The newer ones use the white glue and are excellent for recapping, because they come with 100% CapXon.
                              My 2003 Antec True 430 1.0 has the dreaded brown glue!
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                "Facon"
                                Fake-capacitor? xD
                                I read it more like "fuck-on"... which is about right IMO - i.e. f--- those capacitors

Comment

Power supply brand Airis with badcap canicon low ESR. (Capacitor, SC and GL Quality Unknown):

SC capacitor:

Bye
                                  Last edited by kevin!; 08-04-2015, 04:56 AM.
                                  Gaming pc:
                                  Workshop PC:
                                  Server:

Comment

K mex is the OEM. Can you post a photo of the transformers?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      K mex is the OEM. Can you post a photo of the transformers?
                                      Here you go:

Capacitor HEC (trash XD):

Yes, it is k mex, because they are equal.
                                      Gaming pc:
                                      Workshop PC:
                                      Server:

Comment

That's a very old power supply. I'm pretty sure Canicon (Horng Jang) went out of business, or changed their name in 2007. GoldLink and CS (12kuang Jin) are also low quality. With "best" to worst CS>Canicon>GL

Definitely KME, Ever-Power on the transformer, and they often use that style of label

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          That's a very old power supply. I'm pretty sure Canicon (Horng Jang) went out of business, or changed their name in 2007. GoldLink and CS (12kuang Jin) are also low quality. With "best" to worst CS>Canicon>GL

Definitely KME, Ever-Power on the transformer, and they often use that style of label
                                          Surely it will be a source of KME rename. Airis is a Spanish brand that is dedicated to assemble PCs and laptops, and other components, and rename.
                                          Airis plates often use poor quality, for example Matsonic ms9147c (this board is unable to pass from FSB 400), then low quality PSU (KME), etc ... and it's no wonder the quality of this horrible PSU.
                                          Last edited by kevin!; 08-04-2015, 04:52 PM.
                                          Gaming pc:
                                          Workshop PC:
                                          Server:

Comment

Working...
                                          X