Using tantal caps instead of ceramics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using tantal caps instead of ceramics?

I have one toy to play with now - ABIT BX133-RAID. There are places for many ceramic caps in the socket but I have little problem accessing it. I found only 10uF X7R ceramic caps here in Czech republic, buying them outside is too pricey (around half US dollar per piece is little too much considering I have to buy 100+ or even 500+ of them).

So I was thinking about using tantal caps, is it possible? When doing so I'd of course have to find polarization of the joints in socket as long as tantals are polarized unlike ceramics.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Using tantal caps instead of ceramics?

You are referring to the center of the CPU socket?

Pictures I can find on the web only show MLCC's in there, no tantalums. Tantalums are no cheaper from my experience.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Yeah this ones.

I can buy great amount of old tantalums on our equivavelnt of eBay, someone has these old ones which he wants to get rid of. Do the capacitance of tantals degradate over time? If not I can buy them even they're liek a 10 years old?
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

just look for junked newer boards to salvage mlcc's from.
        just for the hell of it poly mod it.

Comment

On all dead boards I have are just tiny ceramics, I want to take the hell out of the system (with wired Tualatin). Such a low-capacity ceramics are not suitable

Comment

esp laptop boards are full of them.you want vcore bypasses for inside the socket?i remember these had a bunch of spots for them.use these to replace the vcore caps.
            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=76
            getting ready to do a friends vp6.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yeah the board has empty soldering spots for ceramics inside socket. I've already changed all electrolytes for Samxon GC's and by these I think I could help it.

I do not have so many polymer's right now and this would be rather expensive to poly-mod such and old MoBo

Trodas has some info about the board on his site http://trodas.wz.cz/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=426&s=

Comment

Since the tantalums are polarized and the ceramics are not, I think you will have a problem.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Yeah I'd have to discover the polarity. I think it is polarized, as I understand it that's just another filtration of input current, just directly in socket.

Comment

Exactly. And one side will be ground, so it's trivial really.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                    X